CB360's-from build to blog - 2013, MDS (Mo Dumb Shit)

Re: CB360- No Evil

Story so far on 'new' front end'
I'm fitting Yamaha XS650 headlight to Suzuki Katana forks into a Honda CB360 with a Honda CB350 wheel using XS650 rear rim on front :eek: 8)
Still in process of making headlight 'ears', but I have finished a few things
Made alloy spacers to center wheel in fork (instead of steel tube and washers in earlier pics)
Front wheel/brake is finally finished. (although I may use brake plate I severely modified? ???)
Made a mounting to fit onto caliper bosses which lifts torque arm so its at a better tangent to drum.
I'm hoping it spreads stress better than going directly to single caliper mount. (safety first ;D)
There will be a torque reaction because brake is over an inch narrower than fork (one inch and fifty thousandths actually ::))
I didn't want to use a 0.050" washer so I machined down some inch and a quarter bar (plus, I didn't have any one inch bar :D)
Suzuki fork uses a fork brace at top to prevent twisting so it should be pretty damn good
Pretty lucky I picked up couple of pairs of Katana forks cheap when no-one wanted them (pre 97 models)
Everything has to be smoothed down and polished and the wheel needs a good shining after sitting around for a few months ::)
hers some pics.
side on
CBKAT3.jpg

front 3/4 (with shiny slider ;D)
CBKAT2.jpg

rear, pretty much hidden behind fork leg. There is over an inch clearance to rim even though it looks like zero in pic
CBKAT1.jpg

Did some more machining for headlight mountings, probably 40% done.
Still need drilling, tapping and cutting to final shape, then polishing
quick pic
CBKatheadlightbrackets.jpg

Got a bit more done. :D
Need to fit 'ears' to headlight to machine clamps for Katana forks.
When I opened it up the mounts were
a./ missing
b./ broken
Checked at Mikes XS, $14.00 EACH SIDE :eek:
So, being me, ;) I made some from the 'scrap' I cut out of the headlight fork clamps ;D
Yamahaheadlightmounts1.jpg

Not perfect but better than the tiny broken piece at 'top' of pic
This is what they look like from outside, I tapped them so I can use shorter bolts and also I won't have to mess with nuts, spring washer, etc on inside.
Yamahaheadlightmounts3.jpg

How it fits with 'ears'
Yamahaheadlightmounts4.jpg

I'll finish it off tomorrow, forgot clocks changed, wondered why it took so long ::)

Except for details, front end is pretty much finished (polishing, etc)
The headlight brackets are finished and light mounts up great
Kat-YamTR.jpg

The big Allen bolts through top yoke hold handlebars, I may try and make some bolts with LED's as warning lights (not sure if it's possible?)
This is how it looks from right side (*Yamaha headlight ;D)
Kat-YamR.jpg

Close up from left side
Kat-YamL.jpg

From the front, it's a7" light but looks bigger
Kat-YamF.jpg

Spent some time yesterday working on steering gear for son-in-law, was going to take bike out for a spin but low beam not working.
Headlight sealed beam checked OK but only getting 0.2~6.5v ???
Removed tank to check wiring, found a pinched wire but it still had good continuity?
Cut it open and repaired it anyway - NO CHANGE-aaaargh.
Started troubleshooting wiring and found high/low switch had sticky contact.
Fixed that but I didn't feel like riding by then ::)
Anyway, decided to finish forks off.
I had a couple of things I wanted to modify and polish.
Started with some 6x1x12m Allen bolts

Had to shorten them a bit, then cross drilled for safety wire plus tapered them so they look better and finally polished
(fitted into fork, the lower left bolt is to hold speedo cable guide)

Fitted stainless hex bolts to torque arm and upright, (easier to drill for safety wire 8))
Re-machined upright and torque arm as I wasn't happy with original finish, looks real good now
Forkassembly1.jpg

Mirror finished the parts I can get to, not sure if I should paint or polish inside the recess?
Forkassembly2.jpg

Comments/views welcome

polish!!

fuck, i was wondering where this thread went! (damn name change)

looks amazing man. those headlight ears are amazing (soo beautiful)

love it love it love it

this is exciting. we want to see more. good to hear youre able to wrench and ride again

just read through the whole build.. some awesome work, and ingenious ideas in this bike..

I may have to hit you up for a set of those ears for my XS. 8) pretty please? :-*

really nice work PJ. But, ahem, is that rust I see on the brake lever?!?! Couldn't be. I must be mistaken. ;D

Glad to see you're feeling better!!

diesel450 said:
I may have to hit you up for a set of those ears for my XS. 8) pretty please? :-*

really nice work PJ. But, ahem, is that rust I see on the brake lever?!?! Couldn't be. I must be mistaken. ;D

Maybe, when I get this finished (or need more cash to buy parts - when do you want them :D)
Yep, it's rusty, didn't look so bad before I polished things (then put flash on it ::))
My have to either make new alloy lever or figure out re-chrome?
Hopeto get front end together this weekend.
I finished double shifts today, back to singles next week (but have to fix a lot of stuff around house for holiday )

Got the forks finished, (except for removing fingerprints ;D)
New seals, new oil.
Finished headlight brackets, all polished up.
Bought a new headlight, swapped out 60/55 bulb for a 35/35 H4.
Here's a quick pic, yes, it has LED ring ;D
NewHeadlight1.jpg

Front end is lookin great PJ. I know you said it before, but where do you get those 35/35 watt bulbs again?

Hi Tim,
I may have to get one of those if I can't make indicators look OK.
Rich,
I got bulbs from Parts Unlimited for 1980's Yamaha FZR1000.
Apparently a lot of new scooters use 35/35 H4 as well so they should be easy enough to come by (eBay if all else fails)
Going to find out about powder coating frame and swing arm in next few weeks
I didn't realise I pass a place every day that does powder coating, found ad on craigslist
Should be pretty quick to just fit all the parts I've been working on.
I'm going to fit the 'bump-start only' motor to get it sorted out while I re-build the one that's in there now as a 378 (will get same treatment, except leave the kickstart in)
I still have to strip the Chinese shocks I bought and make new lower mounts (plus fix anything else I find wrong with them)
Going to make a new exhaust system and see about getting it ceramic coated
Still not sure about tank or seat yet, may use CB350 four tank.
Found the footrests I'm going to use (just the sticky out bit, ;D) will need to fabricate mounting plates.
Got a forward control gear change from something, spline fits Honda, will need link bar
Looks like it will flip to use as rearset
Going to re-design rear brake operating mechanism, haven't seen anything I like.
I don't want the 'bent rod' flipped operating lever if at all possible, I want something with better feel and control than stock, if I can ;)
I started working on taillight mount and rear fender, going sort of stock (ish ;D)
Still quite a lot of work but it's getting there

Looks great PJ, nice and clean...that headlight is something else too!

Aweful lot of 360's on here at present, they almost need thier own thread ;D
Now front end is 99.9% done (still having issues with paint, never had so much trouble ::))
Started on the rear shocks.
Not completely dismantled yet as I want to find out what gas pressure is inside reservoir.
I know Suzuki uses 142psi nitrogen but these feel real low pressure (and there is air inside damper, I can feel it when operating shock)
I'll probably completely strip them, change oil and I think make a new upper guide bush from aluminum bronze/Teflon (because I've got some of each ;D)
Anyway, made a new lower mount from 6061, double the weight of stock cast pieces and a much better fit on shock mount.
I had a cast spring seat break once on my Yamaha 400 enduro bike so I'm a little paranoid about weak suspension parts.
Spring seat is at least twice the thickness of original plus, being 6061 it will bend well before breaking if it was overloaded
Also looks a lot nicer than the stock multi part set up
Newshockbottom.jpg
Newshockbottom-closeup.jpg

Back
Top Bottom