gs550 cafe racer track day bike , home made featherbed-ish frame

I really like the blend of old and new USD forks and swingarm and the "featherbedish" frame. Out of curiosity what is the rake of the head tube and angle of the swingarm how long is the wheelbase and did you scale the bike for weights and percentages? I'm fascinated by this stuff. Great job.
Cheers, 50gary

the head tube angle is 23 degrees , cant remember the swing arm angle,

the wheel base is fairly long at 1300mm or so , i did put some scales on it and it came in at roughly 145kg .

hoping the 650 conversion will give a good amount of extra go as corners were find but i was ! blown away on the straight ! was a little bit fluffy picking up revs from 8 to 9000 after closing it off , hoping i've fixed this too with a re-jet , although once the new engine is ready i'll be fitting some vm29 flatslides

thought i'd have a go at modifying my cam chain tensioner to a manual type,

seemed easy enough to cut off the large part housing the spring parts then drill out the hole and tap to m12x1 make a nut and o ring groove to keep the oil in ,
then make a lock nut, and new shaft to act on the tensioning slide .
IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

Interesting rack of carbs - what are they and what did they come from? They look like TM Mikunis but with accelerator jets (pumper) so are they HSR or ??

had a go at making some velocity stacks , didn't seem that hard to do, i had some 6082 alli tube knocking about so cut to length and annealed it so softnen it , used a cutter holder to form the taper then pressed a 50mm bar in the other end to make the carb dia ,turned a nylon block with a rad and press the flair on the inlet end then 5 min's in the lathe to rub down,

looked a lot better than i though i'd be able to do , a few didn't go right though!

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg
IMG_2495.jpg
IMG_2492.jpg

back to brands hatch monday, was okay , bent the gear linkage with a bit too heavy left foot, had to quieten it down and managed to choke the power , it wouldn't rev past 10,000 ,
[/size]
[/size]need to finish the 650/550 engine as it was so annoying getting stuck behind r1 man who shits himself at a corner, so i bo[/size]m[/size]b past then a straight bit comes and he's got 170 bhp and i've got 50! and he's back past me like a missile then a strange bendy bit come again and r1 man has another pant shitting episode and i just roll of the throttle and pile past then another straight bit etc etc and so it goes on and on.
[/size]
[/size]
LMP_2493.jpg

[/size]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/size]
LMP_2124.jpg
[/font]

F*ck you and your skills you piece of sh!t. lol.

Just kidding man.
This is kick anus. Ridiculously good. Love it.

Brilliant bike, really looks like top notch work, I love it. Why don't you just drop back from R1 man then you'll be able to concentrate on gettting the max from your 50hp. I ride my supermoto at track days some times so I know the feeling!

Nice. And for those of you asleep in the back, those carbs were not fitted to US spec bikes in 85/86 IIRC. Just UK and other export markets - according to the good people over at OldSkoolSuzuki who know about those things. Nice wok on those velocity stacks. Could you makes some with a smaller ID to match the bore and press them into a mounting rings with holes for the air jets? Like CR specials. They supposedly flow much better and are worth a couple of HP.

Like "Shemozzzles" used on Beezumph triples in 72 with concentric carbs.

Very nice frame, very nice tank, very nice work... very nice Bike!!!
It looks so great!!!
Does it have a good/different behavior riding in circuit?

i see , amal type ones, i can make those, made a few already! for other people on a 30's racing car ,

not sure i have any tube the right dia laying about to make that style , the ones i made for the flatslides started out 2" dia 6082 , was left over from some military tent poles that i made a machine to tapper the ends down on, i would need to start with smaller tube.

in answer to other question, it handles fairly normal! considering its my first attempt at frame building i'm well pleased with it, it tips in easy and the monday session was able to push a bit more braking harder and holding the line with a bit more go ,even though i bent the gear linkage , the first outing was more touchy feely for head bearings and turning in without tucking etc , its been stable and even tightens the line with throttle .

Back
Top Bottom