Bucky's '74 CB360 Hardtail Bobber Build~"Root Beer float"

Bucky685

Been Around the Block
I got this bike from a good friend of mine who had it hanging out in his shed, that he used as a parts bike for his previous CB360. For the low low cost of one beer.
Here is my other bike a '06 Yamaha Warrior.

My plans for the bike are to turn it into a hardtail bobber. I have a welder @ work who owes me a favor for doing some Cadd design work for him.

Here are a few bikes that will give you a general idea of the build.

Here was how i received it:

Here it is after a few hours of removing parts and general cleaning:

There is a motor behind all the dust and dirt!!

I am hoping this weekend to get all the electrical marked, engine out of the frame, and cut the rear of the frame off!

Re: Bucky's '74 CB360 Hardtail Bobber Build

It can be done. Just dont give up on her.

Went with a few friends getting a tattoo out of town and scored a Frisco mount sportster tank for $100, from one of the other tattoo artists. Also got the carbs pulled(the picture is what they looked like when i opened them up) and chopped the rear end off the night before.

1A64D8F9-820E-419A-8947-A217FCEDCEFF-2337-000004F62C957A53.jpg

19B1ED6E-A83C-4436-9D66-BF389FF37FC7-2337-000004F635C91529.jpg

EFB5B184-469B-4069-ABAA-36934E8AA128-2337-000004F63D16FEE6.jpg

im interested as to see how this turns out. the only thing that has kept me from the 350-360 is the frames. in my mind it'll be hard or more work than i would want to do to make it look right. not dissing you at all. curious as to if your gonna make your own hard tail or buy a universal one?

I am planning on using a universal kit from TC bros, as a base for the hardtail. Gotta get the kit ordered ad get the frame to my welder! It helps to have a professional welder who owes you a favor!

Looking into different hardtail kits. I noticed they are all 20 mm axel plates.

That being said the cb360 rear axel is 20mm (right) and 17 mm (left). Can anyone chime in who has used the universale hard tail kits, give there opinion on if the 3mm of slop on the left side is of huge concern?

If it is, I will design some new ones and get them laser cut.

When I did mine i spent 40 bucks on the tubing and used a rigid conduit bender, idk the cost of their kit, but doing it your self might be a good idea. That way you can make it just how you want it. Just my two cents, good luck!

jakeoff51 said:
When I did mine i spent 40 bucks on the tubing and used a rigid conduit bender, idk the cost of their kit, but doing it your self might be a good idea. That way you can make it just how you want it. Just my two cents, good luck!

Did you design your own axle plates? or did you buy them?

There kits are $140.00.

Made a couple purchases so I can start on the frame/welding work!

A nice leather seat from Rich Phillips (motherroadcustoms)

567139168_o.jpg

And also ended up ordering the TCBrochoppers hardtail kit & 3" spring seat mount kit.

i cut mine out of plate at work and used the mill to do the axle holes, altho $140 doesnt sound too bad tho. gues it depends if their kit gets you close enough to whats in your head.

I think the kit should get me close. My plan is to either use a sleeve in the left side or just cut a new left side.

Did a quick sketch of the gas tank up in autocad, getting a plan of laying out the external sight gauge.

Here is the color i am thinking for my tank/fender.

I am thinking of having them powdercoated. (Laser Rootbeer)

final_0bfce9ec1941f31c1d762ffb5126d43a.jpg

Bucky685 said:
Did a quick sketch of the gas tank up in autocad, getting a plan of laying out the external sight gauge.

I love the idea, but you may want to put some sort of guard around it. It something brushes against it hard, or you drop the bike on that side (heaven forbid), the puddle of gasoline makes a simple situation a little more complicated.

That's a nice color, I was thinking something along that line for mine.

As for the sight guage you coul put it along the top, if your really worried about setting it down. The way I look at it tho is 9 times outta 10 most of the fuel ends up on the ground anyways, I've never laid one down yet, but a few of my step-fathers friends have and I've seen a majority of the time fuel getting cleaned up along with oil and whatnot in pictures.

I'm not sure how concerned I am about the sight gauge/fittings breaking if i was to go down. But it is a valid concern... If i put it on top it might interfere with my pinstriping i have planned.

But UPS did deliver my new seat, seat mount & hard tail kit today!!

The seat looks awesome!

I also would worry about it snagging on something. Someone walks by with a cart or something stupid like that.

I was thinking something like oval hole in a hollow round pipe, like a towel rack rod. Light, chrome.
Run the plastic tube inside . then at least the tubing isn't so "snaggable" .

We'll lesson learned... Got the hardtail kit.. Excellent quality.
But the axle plates are not going to work for the 360. The holes for the axle are too large, and too thick for the stock adjuster. So I designed some new ones and will have them laser cut out of 5/16" carbon steel..

So if anyone needs some TC Bros' axle plates, i'll let them go cheap.

Made some progress on the bike last night. Got the front forks, triple trees off the frame. I couldn't get the front sprocket off the shaft, so I had to cut the chain off.
Also started cleaning the motor(20 years of barn dust), only used 1 bottle of brake cleaner and 1/2 bottle of simple green for 1/2 the motor. Also found out the velocity stacks I use for my other parts I make , will fit the carbs on the 360.

Started working on a design for a faux oil tank electrical box.

Here is what I am thinking for the electrical box.

It will have a tapped reverse flange welded into the end of the pipe. The have a blind flange to close it up. with brass button head cap screws.

I will have the key in the middle of it.

What do ya think?

Back
Top Bottom