84' Kawasaki KZ440 LTD - Studio Darling

AJS

Andrew S.
Hello from Finland!

This is my first bike, a 1984 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD with 55k km on the meter (34k mi). I bought it around three months ago, cleaned the notoriously shitty carbs and it drove it around like that.
It's a fun bike as is but I absolutely love cafe racers. So time for a change.

UtLbIMZ.jpg

First snow came here in south so I decided to start the project.

I decided to name the bike Studio Darling as I'm stupid enough to build it in my studio apartment as I'm lacking a garage.
I started collecting parts a couple of months ago. Plans include fitting an old MZ fuel tank, a USD front and double Mikunis.
I also got a 18" rear wheel from a 550 to give the bike better proportions instead of the more custom sized 16" rear.

2J2WQ5B.jpg

Time to start tearing it apart.
Rp6H5AC.jpg

IEVcldc.jpg

PFQKivR.jpg

Now it's sitting like this in my living/bedroom.

- Andrew

Following this one. 8) What are your other plans for the frame, engine and suspension?

I've been thinking of doing a USD swap this winter.

M.B Co said:
Following this one. 8) What are your other plans for the frame, engine and suspension?

I've been thinking of doing a USD swap this winter.

The frame will be cut and rebuilt from the rear. The 440 frame just sits too low and doesn't look good imo. Will keep the basic double shock setup in rear.
Might bore out the engine as in the guide on kz400.com. But will see. This is all a learning process for me. Haven't decided on keeping the belt drive or swapping to chain. Most likely will do a 2-1 exhaust setup.

Bonus burnout pic :D

83THrtp.jpg

Love the burnout, one thing I have to do with mine.

Sounds like a good plan. I was tempted also to re-do my LTD frame but opted to keep it and I'm happy with it.

People may not like the sound of the 440's but I love my exhaust note with my custom 2-1 and stainless shorty

20141022_183313_1 by MBCo, on Flickr

M.B Co said:
Love the burnout, one thing I have to do with mine.

Sounds like a good plan. I was tempted also to re-do my LTD frame but opted to keep it and I'm happy with it.

People may not like the sound of the 440's but I love my exhaust note with my custom 2-1 and stainless shorty

20141022_183313_1 by MBCo, on Flickr

Had no idea the sound isn't liked. I love it, one of the best things about the bike. Your exhaust looks great! Similar to what I have in mind.
How's your riding position with the clip ons and the stock location of the pegs? I'm planning on moving mine way back.

Will be sure to read your thread Nebr_Rex! Thanks!

Bevelheadmhr said:
Saw this Z440 at a show last week

Got more pictures of it? I sort of like how that exhaust goes around the engine.

V6Gm1xs.jpg

Tested the new fuel tank on today and drew on top of it how I would like the frame to be.

No, only got the one photo, it was roped off at a show, though I'm sure it'll be on the internet somewhere..

Little update. Progress has been slow. I've been taking the engine apart and designing new triple trees for the USD front end.
Will need to send the drawings to various machine shops to get a price estimate.

Once I know where the triple trees will hit the tank when turning I can focus on mounting and modifying the tank.

Change the frame, looks much better for the stance of the bike IMO. I all so changed the posistion of the tank and mounted the tank mounts that usually sit below the frame, to over the frame, to have the tank sitting a bit higher

Attachments

• Seat2.JPG
    Seat2.JPG
    791.8 KB · Views: 437
jsnabbs said:
Change the frame, looks much better for the stance of the bike IMO. I all so changed the posistion of the tank and mounted the tank mounts that usually sit below the frame, to over the frame, to have the tank sitting a bit higher

Yeah! Will definitely do something to the frame. Your bike looks awesome!

Back
Top Bottom