Simplified Wiring Digrams

damiansd said:
I put my own version of the simple wiring diagram together for myself. I wanted to highlight the different systems in the system. And yes, you can start my bike with the key off...

Single cylinder motorcycle wiring.jpg

D.

You can fix that with a five pin relay, if you're so inclined.

I've got a left side gear lever / kick starter combo, so I figure obscurity is my security for now.

Thanks Sonreir,
D.

A normally closed relay in parallel on the kill switch line to ground could do it

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk

Sonreir said:
Yamaha XS Triple with no turn signals or idiot lights.
High beam wired to high beam always on.

Anybody tried this one out? Wondering if it applies to the 850, or just 750.

Attachments

• Yamaha Bare Bones.png
    Yamaha Bare Bones.png
    205.4 KB · Views: 6,454
Sonrier - what would the process be like if someone wanted to add turn signals back in to a simplified wiring diagram? i.e. that XS tripe diagram, or the attached GN400 diagram.

Seams like it would be as simple as "power - control switch - signal relay - signal wires"

If so... where would you splice into the simplified harness?

Attachments

• gn400iconsver25.jpg
    gn400iconsver25.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 6,422
For the XS, you can tap a flasher relay into a blue or a brown wire. The negative side of the relay then goes to the switch and the left and right output from the switch goes to the lights on either side.

For the GN, it's an AC bike, so it's going to be trickier. I would use the signal circuit on the DC side of things, but the above diagram doesn't have an ignition switch, only a kill switch. So your turn signals either work all the time (even when the bike is off) or you add another switch to kill the signals as well.

After somewhat simplifying my Suzuki GN125's wiring I'm trying to make a second push to make it truly simple. I've got most of it figured out but have one question left: Why is the Ignition behind the killswitch? If I'm reading it right flicking the killswitch kills the power to the coils, that would mean the ignition can do whatever it want, there won't be any spark, right? So why is it also killing power to the CDI? Is it to to protect the internals of the CDI, is it an extra safety measure? I'd prefer to get rid of it, but don't want to risk frying anything.

Here's a diagram (Killswitch = 4, coil = 9, CDI = 12)

suzuki-gn125.jpg

And a slightly clearer one.

And a vaguely related question: what's the best way to splice several cables together? I'll probably have junctions of 4 or 5 wires, what's the best way to connect them and keep them together? I was thinking of twisting them together and crimping a piece of thin-walled aluminum tube around it, thoughts on that?

treitz said:
Sonrier - what would the process be like if someone wanted to add turn signals back in to a simplified wiring diagram? i.e. that XS tripe diagram, or the attached GN400 diagram.

Seams like it would be as simple as "power - control switch - signal relay - signal wires"

If so... where would you splice into the simplified harness?

Alright, so I'm about halfway through this simplified wiring diagram and I'm a little hung up on the headlight wiring. This diagram has the pink wire from the magneto running into the headlight, but very little explanation beyond that. The switch has off-on, high and low. Any input appreciated.

So that's an AC bike setup for always on.

What you'll want, instead, is to run the pink wire to the switch, and then the output of the switch to the yellow and white wires (for high and low beam, respectively).

Sonreir said:
So that's an AC bike setup for always on.

What you'll want, instead, is to run the pink wire to the switch, and then the output of the switch to the yellow and white wires (for high and low beam, respectively).

Okay, so it's just pink in - yellow/white out. The switch control has a million wires coming out of it, way more than I'd expect. So I'll have to take it apart to see what I'm doing.

So with this method, is it safe to assume that the headlight will only turn on when the bike is running? Since there isn't any direct power running to the headlight.

So based on the attached diagram, and what we have discussed, it looks like I just need to connect the pink to the red/yellow coming from the controls. Then internally the red/yellow will connect to green when the lights are ON. From green I can power the speedo light. Then yellow is high beam and white is low beam. That sounds fine... but what about the other 5 wires at the top of the control? (brown, orange, green/white, red/white, blue/white)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1 MB · Views: 584
Orange is DC power. With the headlight switch on, it feeds DC power from the battery to the tail light. Green/white and blue/white provide charging for the battery at different quantities (depending if lights are on or off).

Sonreir said:
Orange is DC power. With the headlight switch on, it feeds DC power from the battery to the tail light. Green/white and blue/white provide charging for the battery at different quantities (depending if lights are on or off).

So what should I do with them? They are ignored in the simplified wiring diagram. I already wired up the tail/brake light via the method in the simplified diagram, so the orange I can ignore. But will the battery not receive proper charge if I ignore the green/white and blue/white?

Alright... I hooked it all up last night and no spark. I have power to the tail/brake light which I had already tested, but no spark.

1) I guess my first question is whether or not the regulator needs to be grounded. See attached pictures. This is a new unit, and from what I can tell, it is the only think sending power from the battery to the regulator (red/white - blue/white in the diagram), which then has to send power to the coil via the black/yellow wire. If this is a self grounding unit via a bolt running through it, that could be my issue. If not, then I'll move on.

2) The kill switch wire that they have in the diagram connects the coil ground to the frame. Question is, is grounded going to kill the bike, or not grounded? Based on the stock diagram it looks like grounded will kill the bike.

Other than those two things, everything else looks good. So I'm a little lost.

Attachments

• IMG_3837.JPG
    IMG_3837.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,195
You sure that's a regulator? Looks like a rectifier to me.

That said, spark is completely controlled by your CDI. Make sure the yellow/black wire isn't grounded.

Sonreir said:
You sure that's a regulator? Looks like a rectifier to me.

That said, spark is completely controlled by your CDI. Make sure the yellow/black wire isn't grounded.

Sorry, you're right. Rectifier.

I'll make sure we aren't grounded and try again. So the CDI is only getting power via the battery (red) - rectifier (red - red/white) - magneto (white/blue). Then the magneto transfers the power to the CDI which send it to the coil?

Back
Top Bottom