KLR You Experienced? I am now...

Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

If I were you I’d smell my oil and inspect to see if much gas made it that far. That much flooding, I’m sure it’s in there and that’s no bueno for bearings/clutches etc. I’d change the oil/filter out as soon as you confirm your carb is dialed in correctly.

Drey6 said:
If I were you I’d smell my oil and inspect to see if much gas made it that far. That much flooding, I’m sure it’s in there and that’s no bueno for bearings/clutches etc. I’d change the oil/filter out as soon as you confirm your carb is dialed in correctly.

+1 you don't want to destroy the internals now that it runs well.

Thanks for the suggestion guys - I'll absolutely do that. Out of interest, how would the gas infiltrate the oil passages? Would it be down through the rings or up through the valves? Or both? Or something else?

It's thin and if you flood your combustion chamber it will get past rings and valves and into the oil which then gets thin and stops protecting. doesn't take much to ruin the oil. You need to change it for breaking in the piston anyway.

Cool, thanks Mike - when you say I need to change it for breaking in the piston what exactly do you mean? Is this something I need to do after a certain amount of kms with a new piston/rings? I've probably put a little over 100kms on the new piston/rings now.

I don't do km's, but you change the oil at 50, 500, 1500, and 5000 miles after a rebuild.

It's ready for an oil change in that case. Thanks man, looks like that and the balancing beads are today's order of business. Good to know the oil change scheduling, I didn't know that.

You get a lot of metal coming off the rings and bore as they seat and you want that out of the motor, it gets less and less hence the intervals getting farther apart. Also a good method to make sure they seat well, Irk mentioned is to get on and off the throttle often. So accelerate hard, close throttle and let the bike engine brake, then repeat lots of times. Change the oil. You likely will see some shiny bits in the first few changes but they should go away. The reason for the accel, decel is it loads the rings in both directions and seats them better. You don't need WOT, but a good fast accel and decel about the same. A quiet road or empty parking lot is good for that.

^^ Gotcha, I'll do that. Pretty sure I know the answer to this already - but each time I do one of these oil changes I need a new filter too, right?

Prob a good idea on at least the first couple, some folks cut them open to see whats been trapped.

Depends on the oil filter. Some, like the K&N can be cleaned and re-used.

Just drained the oil and will switch out the filter after my tea - it's a Hi Flo Filtro filter. Picked up a couple from Kawasaki for a few bucks. The oil looked pretty clean when it drained, didn't see any shiny stuff in there but I'll have a closer look later. Didn't smell too gassy either - would there be a sure sign that there was gas in the oil?

You would smell it if it was there.

I thought so Irk - it may have smelled a little funky but that might just have been because the oil was really warm or that it's Rotella and I'm not used to it.

Hopefully getting my tank sorted today, and getting those balancing beads in the tires. KLR's getting close now - once a few details are taken care of and the carb is dialled in then it's off to the races.

Filled up with more of the Rotella and a new filter, and did what was suggested - took the bike up and down Mount Royal a bunch of times. Not only a barrel of fun, but I used engine compression to brake and did a bunch of accel/decel to get those rings seated. Love riding this bike around the city at night - it has an unruly, reprobate character that appeals no end.

Using engine compression to slow down is fun on singles, I think you are going to have a lot of fun on this bike.

It's balls-out brilliant is what it is. And it hasn't even gone off-road yet either. The C model I now know was built with more of an off-road approach so I'm really looking forward to getting off the asphalt. Worth noting that while my off-road skills aren't at zero, they hardly bother the double digits either. Thrashing old Suzukis and Kawasaki's around Bali years ago and a bike trip across Nicaragua is pretty much the sum total of dirt. Oh, and my first bike of course, a 50cc dirt bike that I had as an 11 year old.

Actually, that was the first bike I ever customized, when I rode it full tilt into a ditch. It never looked quite the same after that. Not sure I did either.

The Jimbonaut said:
when I rode it full tilt into a ditch. It never looked quite the same after that. Not sure I did either.

It’s all starting to make sense now.
So now you’re due for an 800km ride before the next oil change, go find some dirt roads to thrash!
Gotta be some just north of mtl i would think?

farmer92 said:
It’s all starting to make sense now.
So now you’re due for an 800km ride before the next oil change, go find some dirt roads to thrash!
Gotta be some just north of mtl i would think?
Have to be. A mate here has a DR650 and loves to belt the thing out in the bush - once I get everything squared away then I'm hoping to get loco out in the sticks. Work's getting in the way of the fun stuff (surprise surprise) but hoping to get the petcock nuts inside the tank tapped tomorrow to stop the leak, and also a bit more carb work done over the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom