1984 Honda XL350R Bare Knuckled Brawler

nedmmo

Been Around the Block
hey yall
this is just documenting the continuing build of a little xl350r.
the original owner and doer of all the hard work was julian, whose a member and has a build thread on here if you care to search for it. he rebuilt the engine, painted it all, new rims and tyres.

I purchased it running beautiful and complete last year I think, and upon not receiving a roadworthy certificate, have had to change a few things to make it legal and my own.

my dp is the bike as I bought it and heres where im starting the mods.
rear end with all "legal" lighting and rear guard which was a 7" wide full rolled fender for a harley which ive cut down and fit in. also changed the chrome muffle for a black one.
4evu3y3e.jpg

u5y8ejy7.jpg

yrutahad.jpg

eqadyman.jpg

ajepety7.jpg

anevuryn.jpg

got a new 5 1/4 black bates headlight to replace the chrome plastic lens headlight which wasnt legal. sonreir is doing me a custom harness with rfid ignition. and im trying to find a nice steel front fender to replace the massive stock one. then the last thing It will need is the forks rebuilt. ..im not sure if im game to tackle that...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Re: 84 xl350r brat tracker....re-build

Looks good so far, a tracker is definitely my next build. Goal is to have one of each style bike. 8)

i deffo want to do cafe next...but ill probably be losing my work space come december so goal one is to get this finished by then

u4ahuga7.jpg

jyje6yve.jpg

Now that's inspiration!

One bike at a time is what I've learned or else you spread yourself too thin. There's a spot reserved in my garage based on that concept. ;)

got some progress today. removed and replaced the steering stem races. got my rear fender underside coated in bedliner and painted the triple trees in satin black. really happy with the finish from just 2 step rattle can. etch primer and epoxy enamel. although im not used to laying in such cold conditions. had to heat the bombs in hot water and chucked the triple through a 200 celsius oven to properly cure them.

now just waiting on my fork seals to arrive then the forks can be rebuilt and painted as well.

yjugevum.jpg

su7y8yny.jpg

hey man reckon you could post a pic of how your headlights mounted?

Re: Re: 84 xl350r brat tracker....re-build

catsy said:
hey man reckon you could post a pic of how your headlights mounted?

do you mean the original chrome headlight catsy?

cant wait for that harness sonreir. ..been too long since I heard the little girl purr.

gone rogue or in the shed

well heres today progress. so close to finished now! yes those are two bags of heatbeads acting as my bike stand when the front end was off...lucky its not barbecue weather or I would of had a fight on my hands. and yes its a ness in there...im working 100% on the ground!

painted forks with gaiters and triples on.
indicators and fork clamp mounts on.
front fender drilled for triples and mounted
headlight with a bates headlight mount made for a harley front end.

a4a8aqyj.jpg

tu2ysyha.jpg

ha6uty8e.jpg

im absolutely in love with hows its looking now. julian did a good job but I prefer the blacked out look now. the random fender I bought on ebay is perfect radius and the rusted silver paint nearly matches the raw tank and rear fender perfectly.

now all there is to do is wait for my custom harness from sonreir with RFID to get here and put in the 6sigma jet kit. its been running a bit rich and I dont have the patience to go through and jet the two carbs by trial and error.

thanks mtlsir hope fully it will make it back to your wallpaper with my updates.

can anyone guess how many staples that black seat cover had holding it on?

answer: this many!!! plus the 20 or so I couldnt get out. but now seat is prepped for its new cover.

upydynuq.jpg

Re: XL350 Back Streets Brawler!

and here is the finished seat cover! thanks to Spiro at Olympus Motor Trimmers, north fitzroy for you melbourne builders. $150 clams and I supplied vinyl. well worth it I feel.

obviously I forgot the pictures!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375848663679.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375848663679.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,060
  • uploadfromtaptalk1375848683305.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375848683305.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,113
  • uploadfromtaptalk1375848695176.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375848695176.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,079

it will be a lot doper when that pile of wiring on the floor is actually installed.

hey sonreir did you get my latest email? still confused about the harness haha

Back
Top Bottom