81 SR250 tracker build help

Thanks helak, maybe I could do some swapping since both engines are down only have one running sr250 engine, the xt's piston skirt broke and the other sr250 not sure yet haven't opened it up just know owner said it wasn't firing and thinks it jump timing so maybe all kinds of damage. I know i'm swapping the kick start to one of them if I don't just swap the whole engine over.

Sorry should have said yesterday. The xt has to have been a 2 valve type so early 80's. The engines are nearly identical. A 4 valve will be different. Just thought I should ad that

I'm confused now, the xt250 is a 2 valve 4 stroke, my sr250 is a two valve four stroke is it not?

I think '84 they changed the xt250 engine to a 4 valve 4 stroke. A whole different engine.

The earlier xt250 was a 2 valve 4 stroke just like your SR. Engines are mostly the same. Bore, and kick start are the only differences I am aware of.

Sorry for confusing things on you.

Yeah I was like wait a minute and had to compare both heads. They are identical. I was mainly asking with concerns to the Carb as the one in the xtwas different then the two on the sr's

Helak said:
I think '84 they changed the xt250 engine to a 4 valve 4 stroke. A whole different engine.

The earlier xt250 was a 2 valve 4 stroke just like your SR. Engines are mostly the same. Bore, and kick start are the only differences I am aware of.

Sorry for confusing things on you.

Beat me to it: XT250 has a kickstarter. The SR250 has a plug where the kickstarter would go, and it's possible to mount an XT250 kicker in a SR250 engine, but you've got to open it up to do it.

I think you do the CRD guys who built atomica a dis service regarding the build quality and it is road legal sans indicators.

I'll post the links to the blog pages rather than all the individual photos

http://caferacerdreams.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2012-04-21T04:05:00-07:00&max-results=9&start=170&by-date=false

http://caferacerdreams.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2012-05-04T06:59:00-07:00&max-results=9&start=161&by-date=false

[urlhttp://caferacerdreams.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2012-04-12T12:44:00-07:00&max-results=9&start=179&by-date=false][/url]

yeah I knew I'd have to open it to install the kick gear but I'm already hitting issuses.

I swapped motors due to the black motor would spin then lock figured timing skipped or i don't know.

Swapped the motors got the other one firing on the frame with better wheels soon it'll be drivable I hope here's my issue.

1) problem
I haven't tried the clutch yet but I'm worried it's not working right, handle and cable will pull the level like 1/2 inch but it doesn't pull it back, the spring is in it's right slots but I guess it's just worn. Or should I open the clutch? I don't have the tool so if I do I'll need to order it with the new gaskets.

2) problem
I basically have 3 engines
all but one have a broken spot on the left side engine case. I don't know if I should worry about engine oil spilling out or what it sucks because I tried looking up and seeing about buying a used one and seems they all have this issues or are very expensive in my opinion for a bare case. It's broken at the screw hole that's actually at the clutch perch tube?

I know pics provide more help and responses I'll take a few and post'em shortly

ok can't seem to post pictures straight from desktop.

here is attempt number #2 this time with URL's

cut frame with running engine

non running black engine with head off and valves

Maybe I need to add that I chipped most of the goo and I'm guessing jbweld away to find the open hole. it was literally gooped up on there

Will do I'll pull out the dremel tomorrow and really clean it up. I looked for a "mint" or bub nothing came up, ofcourse mint pulled up tons of for sale items...

Dude I swear i looked and tried a few searches bud kept bringing up budget build did you just remember or what search string did you use? I'd really like to be able to use the search function more efficiently. I hate asking just to find out there's like 5 dedicated treads to something. Thanks non the less!

its late I read your post as he did a work called "mint" that's why.. totally missed it worked like mint. it's also not a very old thread guess I missed that one completely.

I had thought I saw a you tube vid a while back, but seriously distraught with the carnage on both cases.

haha- just running into this.

Yeah if you've got a full xt 250 engine you should have all the parts you need to swap the kicker over.

And while the hole on your left side cover is pretty nasty lookin, it also looks like it's just the sprocket cover portion of the cover, so you could be fine (functionally, at least). I'd suggest just slowly looking over ebay for covers, of heading down to a bike boneyard if you got one in your area and see if you can find something. Remember that people regularly drill holes in the the sprocket cover portion of the left side case cover, so you might be fine depending on how extensive the damage is.

And about the clutch- a clutch tool definitely helps (and will only cost you $10-15), but you can definitely do it without one. Just need to hold the basket still with a screwdriver or bar (be super careful not to put too must pressure on it though) and then go for the center nut.

I know super old thread but I sold my 78 cm400 and now have some funds to put toward this which was my hope all along. So kinda starting from the last point of still needing to pull clutch and see if there are stuck together or if spring just doesn't work. I also kinda need a temp commuter to help cut some fuel cost, although I only drive 10-12 miles. I finally read over buds soft build so can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom