CT70

Redcon

Just picked up this CT70 for $300. Not sure if I got hosed, but I was looking for a winter project. Planning a complete tear down. Mostly for learning purposes as I was jumpy and bought it without a title :-[ Hopefully I can get a title for it but I'm not sure how it'll go here in Mass. I've heard it can be a bitch, but if anything It'll be a good project. I'm thinking if I can get a title for it, I'll turn it into a mini commuter for the spring ( an hour ride to work on the back roads )

It has a 140cc Lifan motor in it that I think I'll keep in there for the extra power. I'll probably keep my eyes peeled for a cheap original motor though. Came with the original bars and exhaust as well. My brains can't decide if I should attempt a restoration or just build it custom-like, but I figure I have plenty of time to decide during tear down.

Up for this weekend is a good power wash, and get it running for a quicky around the neighborhood.

The only thing that is bugging me is the title. Should have stayed away I know, but not much I can do now but carry on!

img0708v.jpg

img0712mp.jpg

OK, Got my first question ;)

The black square thing centered in the red circles is not attached, and I believe it "rubs" the rotor (as in the second picture)

Can anyone tell me what this black thing is and what its purpose in life is? Besides a battery, I think this is all that stands in my way of getting her fired up.

47174159.jpg

51352884.jpg

In starting this post, I want you to know I have never worked on one of these before, nor do I KNOW anything about that lifan engine. But here is what I think. (Figured I'd offer up a guess haha) :D

First I would clean the hell out of it, could be debris hitting it, rocks stuck etc.

It has wires going to it, and being that side deals with timing (you can see the marks) It must be a sensor of some sort that has to do with timing. Obviously this is an educated guess from some pictures, and hopefully someone that owns one of these bad boys will let you know. Those are pretty cool lookin scoots.

Hey Bruno, thanks for the reply.

I believe you are correct with the timing thing. I've been doing a little research on lunch break and found the the points cover is under that rotor and that box does mount to the side to read the timing. Easy fix to get it mounted again, I hope...

TGIF and the start of the weekend. No garage and sundown at 4pm makes working on this thing a bit of a challenge during the week. I think I convinced the wife to let me convert my office into a temporary shop for the winter though :p

Always good news to hear the lady is on board. Especially since you and I are in the regions that light disappears quickly, and by the time we get home, darkness has already taken over. I've just invested in more lights ;D Good luck with it, hope you get it running soon.

Mate, just google pit bike spares .... this is the engine millions of the critters use ......... it's not that expensive just to buy an entire new gennie. A band new engine would only rush you a couple of hundred bucks. The engine is infinitely up gradeable, 160/ 170/180/200 kits avaiable, watercooled top ends, four valve heads, ultra light flywheels, what ever you want!

Redcon said:
Hey Bruno, thanks for the reply.

I believe you are correct with the timing thing. I've been doing a little research on lunch break and found the the points cover is under that rotor and that box does mount to the side to read the timing. Easy fix to get it mounted again, I hope...

TGIF and the start of the weekend. No garage and sundown at 4pm makes working on this thing a bit of a challenge during the week. I think I convinced the wife to let me convert my office into a temporary shop for the winter though :p

its a pickup for your ignition these motors use cdi not points, if its broken off, you will need a new back plate,
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Inner-Kit-Ignition-Magneto-Stator-Dirt-Pit-Bike-/130590308503?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e67c9f897#ht_4168wt_985 like this, they aren't expensive,

but i would go with a new engine, http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LIFAN-125-125CC-MOTOR-ENGINE-CRF50-XR-CRF-Z-CT-50-70-/220905587320?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336effc278#ht_1568wt_1270 i had the exact one, ran and worked great in a ct70 just like yours,

I'd just get a new engine. I picked up a liftan 125cc for my ct70 for like $250 shipped. I'm in Mass too, and don't have a title for mine. A lot of these don't have titles. I believe if your bike is made before 1980 you can apply for a title. Never bothered with mine a I know it will be a pain in the ass and costly. The cool thing about the c70 is that it's simple and there's a ton of parts available.

This place is great for parts. http://dratv.com/

DSC06558.jpg

I want to pull this apart again and paint the frame, get a seat cover and wire up a headlight.

So, I got her started (!!!), even though it was only for a minute.

Had to re-solder the wires to that black box and hacked a mount out of zip ties and what was left of the bracket that's still there. Got the chance to rev'er up a couple times before getting yelled at (the kid was sleeping, lol) Went back out about an hour later and kicked for about an hour...would not start. Not sure why it won't run again, but I haven't done anything to it besides that. Still have to do the obligatory carb cleaning, hopefully that is the problem.

I get the "just buy a new motor" thing, but atm I'm just looking to get it started and ride around the block before I go into tear down mode. Maybe before winter's out I'll end up with a new motor, but for now I don't actually need one.

Crackerman: I hear ya on the title, but I have crazy dreams of riding this thing to work in the spring. I'll need to try and get a title so I can register and insure. Mass is such a bitch about this sort of thing...every once in a while I wish I lived up in NH :p

Diggin' the white frame black motor 8)

Congrats on your bike man. I'm a recovering Honda mini addict myself.

Go to this site. It will show you the way...http://planetminis.com/community/forum/7-z50-ct70-and-jdm-monkeybikes/

heres what mine looked like, not as pretty as either of yours, but she was a fun and reliable little trail ride, i miss it,
DSCF0734.jpg

DSCF0735.jpg

Ya, sorry for the lack of updates. Usual holiday excuses.

I did try to figure out why I couldn't get it started again and noticed the meatheads I bought it from were running the thing without the oil transfer hose (these engines need either an oil cooler or hose to connect two areas of the engine). So instead of trying to get it running on a most likely trashed motor, I'll be ripping the whole thing down. Winter finally hit, so I'm not bothered by it much.

But, I spent the better part of last weekend cleaning out a decent sized work space in the basement in prep for tear down. Been researching a ton of stuff on making this thing street worthy. Also sold a small dirt bike for funds.

So it's moving along, though slowly. It's basically been lots of prep work so far. I should be digging in this weekend though.

Anyone have any thoughts on clear coating raw metal? I want to strip the paint and keep the raw metal look, but I'm not sure how to protect from rust. ???

Type that into the search...JRK does powdercoating and clear powder works, but I do not know how well just clearing metal works. I know I've seen a few threads on it, or at least a few where there was some good info.

So quite a bit has happened since last post.

I tore the bike down into sections. Really isn't much to this little guy.

Next on the list is cleaning everything to see what I have and to stall for some ideas to hit me. Right now I'm thinking I want to leave the "finish" on the bike as it looks kinda cool all beat up, and just upgrade everything else. Only bummer with idea is that the original headlight bucket (made out of plastic) is all cracked and warped. So, I would have to get a new one, which might throw off the whole "what a nice patina it has" look I'd like.

The other idea is to paint it in a nice candy emerald metal flake, white wheels, shiny chrome bits.

Not sure, but here it is as it sits in meh basement.

Before:
img0940p.jpg

After:
img1103mj.jpg

Cool project you have going on. CT70's are neat bikes, I would get that thing running good and hit some trails with it!

Thanks, I'm enjoying it. Trails would be fun, but this thing is getting prepped for the streets. Though now have it down to bare frame, it's surprising that you're able to get these things to go 50-60mph without bracing the frame! Its like a 20 gauge steel shell...I'm considering figuring out how to do just that, though I'm not so awesome at welding, or engineering for that matter, ha!

Ya, so I was a bit "up in the clouds" with the whole bracing frame thing.

Anyways, How do you make that ole'paint SHINE ?

What's the deal with waxing and polishing a painted surface like these original paint jobs had?

You know, that show shine.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

I can't offer any sweet secrets about cleaning up your paint job, but you mentioned earlier that you'd like to keep the patina on the headlight shell. Is it too cracked up to be fixed from the inside? You might have some luck carefully epoxying the cracks and patching them, (maybe with a little fiberglass mesh?) from the inside of the shell. You could make it functional without disturbing the "patina"
Just be careful not to get any epoxy, or whatever you use on the finish...

Back
Top Bottom