1984 GPZ 750: The Ferrous Mistress,

pablohoney

Don't Call Me Shirley.
Welp, just got myself another bike. The garage was getting mighty empty with only the two bikes and they needed a new friend. Preliminary plans include rebuilding the carbs, then new rotors, brakes, seat, belly pan, flyscreen, headlight, and some paint. Anyway thats it for now.
Pic0073.jpg

Pic0072.jpg

Pic0071.jpg

Pic0070.jpg

gpzphotochopped.jpg

The Ferrous Mistress, GPZ750

Got my seat pan and cowl all made up, next step is the bellypan.
Started out with the seat being as tall as the tank, but decided that without a fairing, it would be too much so I cut about 3" off.
Pic0094.jpg

Pic0093.jpg

Pic0099.jpg

Pic0098.jpg

Re: The Ferrous Mistress

Seriously, I'm digging this already. The tank is outrageous, I like these bikes.
Cheers, 50gary

Thanks fellas! The stuff on the forks is some kind of rust inhibitor the po applied. I am hoping I can de-rust the forks with a bit of scotch brite and steel wool.

The name because,the seat, belly pan, flyscreen and tank are all/will be steel, which is a ferrous metal.

Got the belly pan all finished up. Gonna pull out the engine now, make the mounts and powdercoat.

Attachments

• Pic0104.jpg
    Pic0104.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 514
  • Pic0105.jpg
    Pic0105.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 474

Got my new rotors in!
Pic0112.jpg

Pic0111.jpg

I am thinking that I will take the stock square headlight that came on the bike, make a bucket for it and mount it sideways. I searched "square headlight" on here and all that came up was "Just need to ditch that goofy stock square headlight" so I think that I will certainly be original. Made a crappy mock up. Whatcha think?
squareheadlightcopy.jpg

That would be different which is always fun but won't the headlight itself cast an oddly shaped beam? The pattern would be mostly vertical I'd think? You might use the rectangle vertically but use two small round projector beam lights stacked ala Ducati 999?
Cheers, 50gary

Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case, and if so, I thought that I might remove the reflector from the glass case and trim it and turn it 90degrees, then reseal it back in.

Grabbed the spare and slapped it on there. I think it looks surprisingly good. Might need a different set of gauges maybe Trailtech.

Pic0116.jpg

Pic0114.jpg

Pic0118.jpg

Attachments

• Pic0116.jpg
    Pic0116.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 454

I've done that with a headlamp before and it does indeed cast a pattern not too friendly at night in the turns :eek: It really DOES look good there though! I'm interested in seeing if it will help to change the reflector or not, given the "skinny" width sideways since it is standing upright.

Also. Your name for this bike is absolutely AWESOME. Definitely tuned in for this build man.

Ok, been a while since my last update, but I have since gotten the frame powdercoated semi gloss black, painted the wheels, swingarm, and everything else I could. Had an enormous amount of trouble with the swingarm bearings, had to cut them out with a dremel, and had to find some discontinued parts, and the damn unitrak linkages has been a bitch, too many seals and bearings and gromets most of which are discontinued and also need replacing. But I am finally about ready to install the engine. Should be putting it in on tuesday or thursday.
Pic0208.jpg

Pic0206.jpg

Pic0204.jpg

Pic0203.jpg

I am thinking that I will be making a metal fairing, and use some small projector headlights, and also make a new rear tail. The first one is a bit off kilter, so I am gonna make a better new one. We shall see.

Painted the engine, and oil cooler, and got some stuff mounted. I am majorly digging it at this point.
Pic0221.jpg

Pic0220.jpg

Pic0219.jpg

Pic0217.jpg

That bike is looking SICK! If you re-do the seat pan is there a way to tie the front end in to the lines of the tank so that it flows into the bottom curve? just my .02, looks amazing.

Excuse me, but I just now noticed the Kerker exhaust can looks exactly like a 30.06 cartridge. Cool the proportions are just about spot on.
Cheers, 50gary

very nice! I think that it would flow better if you made the tail go underneath the tank where the side covers were originally to pull the tank and tail together, just to fill in that slight "triangle" that is missing...if you know what i mean.

Nice Build :) I'm a big Gpz fan.

GR_James said:
very nice! I think that it would flow better if you made the tail go underneath the tank where the side covers were originally to pull the tank and tail together, just to fill in that slight "triangle" that is missing...if you know what i mean.

GR do you mean something like this. This is what I'm doing on my Gpz 305, but I'm just using the original tail section and some of the side panels. I know he's using all metal on his project, but maybe he could do something similiar.

100_0172.jpg

100_0175.jpg

100_0181.jpg

100_0178.jpg

Back
Top Bottom