TV Show about Cafe Racers

bresmith

A production company in the Southeast is looking for characters and personalities in the Cafe Racer world. We're working with a major HD cable network on a series about the craft of building Cafe bikes.

The show is in the planning stages and we're currently searching for quality minds and faces; guys and gals who know their stuff, ride, wrench and live the lifestyle and have great on camera presence.

If that's you or you know someone who fits that description please contact me at BJ@cbptv.com

Thanks,

Brett Smith
BJ@cbptv.com

i would nominate mostly anyone on these boards! personality, individuality, a passion... that cant be described in a TV show my dear boy!

bresmith said:
A production company in the Southeast is looking for characters and personalities in the Cafe Racer world. We're working with a major HD cable network on a series about the craft of building Cafe bikes.

The show is in the planning stages and we're currently searching for quality minds and faces; guys and gals who know their stuff, ride, wrench and live the lifestyle and have great on camera presence.

If that's you or you know someone who fits that description please contact me at BJ@cbptv.com

Thanks,

Brett Smith
BJ@cbptv.com

Characters and personalities? Sounds like 'American Cafe Racer' with the Teutuls.
I guess now that the choppers are yesterdays news, cafe racers are the new thing.

Funny thing. I was just thinking of doing a documentary on the local/Canadian Cafe Racer scene.

A TV show would be cool, don't think it has mass audience appeal though. Then again there are a lot of niche TV shows on Discover, TLC, etc. that do well. If you have the budget I'd do segments in the UK and Japan as well.

well i could fit the girl character pretty well. being that i am a girl.

Those of you who make your own cafe parts and offer cafe-inspired services must be excited. And we thought this forum was growing fast now....

Darmstro said:
I think the Toronto crew pretty much sums up the modern cafe lifestyle.

The Toronto scene has grown over the last few years but it's still nowhere close to places like Chicago, Los Angeles, Tokyo or even Vancouver. I've heard of several cafe racer shows and documentaries and look forward to seeing them.

a very tiny bit of digging leads me to believe the show will be on mavtv. not exactly high brow stuff there, but best of luck to all involved

i'm so glad there are only 5 other cafe styled bikes in RI.

i don't really want the "scene" to get big, because if it does not only will the price of bikes jump up, but the whole building scene will become diluted with kids who just slap on clubmans and a bumpstop seat.

its really an interesting dilemma. show off what you love and have it ruined by the masses.

Yea I agree with "CaTacl1sm" amongst others. its an interesting dilmma.. and i certainly wouldnt want Cafe Culture to spiral out of control in the lime light. getting tossed around like a cheap fad.. like that sorry rice racer fad "fast and the furious" helped ignite.

Something small like this one may be cool.. lets just hope things in the cafe world stay cool.

Otherwise I vote CrazyPJ is to CafeCulture what Jesse James is/was to Chopper Culture.. id love to see him putting together Cafe Racers on TV. (sorry on throwin ya in the spotlight)

I am thinking that there is a huge group of bike riders who wont go near anything other than a sportbike, and those who only want to be on a cruiser. It is in my estimation that a great percentage of riders just dont want anything to do with 30+ year old bikes that are only worth a couple of grand and are not so comfy to ride, nor 'get the girl' so to speak. I think we will be a core group for a long while yet, no matter what level of focus comes onto the cafe scene in the near future.

i think it'll be a long while yet before the masses "get" cafe racers... i don't want a tv show.
part of the appeal of the whole thing to me, is the lack of corporate sponsorship for any of our activities.

but i may be unique in thinking this - in my warped mind, the low-budgetness and lack of serious profit is appealing in itself, and a tv show will piss all over that. as mentioned above, it'd dilute it, popularise it, and yeah, we'll see kids with bumpstop seats and clipons/clubmans with no work, effort or respect to the scene. fast and furious, indeed. but that's some time off...

I think another consideration is that each region of the scene is developing it's own style, similar to what happened in the traditional chopper and hot rod scene. I don't think you can have a show in one place about cafe racers and say this is the definitive scene.
My .02

heh, with your knowledge i think a turbo 360 would be somewhere between "impressive" and "crazy fast"

i've seen some interesting v-twin engines lately - converting one cylinder into an airpump for the other, in i guess what you'd call a warped supercharger setup. results vary, but i'm thoroughly intrigued.

CaTacl1sm said:
i'm so glad there are only 5 other cafe styled bikes in RI.

i don't really want the "scene" to get big, because if it does not only will the price of bikes jump up, but the whole building scene will become diluted with kids who just slap on clubmans and a bumpstop seat.

its really an interesting dilemma. show off what you love and have it ruined by the masses.

you do know there is a cafe racer shop in rhode island dont you?

yea i've seen their stuff

pretty much really simple aluminum boat tails and overly expensive aluminum windscreens.

but they seem to be doing ok, i saw two of their bikes at rice-o-rama. and i think they at least had rearsets so its a start.

I don't know about living the lifestyle, but if your looking for ppl building bikes in the Southeast, CCRider and Herm's bikes are works of art. Is TX too far, because those Dallas boys make some mean bikes too. Mysta's bike is what got me hooked.

Flugtechnik said:
I don't know about living the lifestyle, but if your looking for ppl building bikes in the Southeast, CCRider and Herm's bikes are works of art. Is TX too far, because those Dallas boys make some mean bikes too. Mysta's bike is what got me hooked.

Wow, I'm humbled by the mention, but trust me, I'm way too boring and un-charismatic for TV. :)

CC

What about cafes isn't mainstream, Ducati, Triumph, and Binelli all built them, there's a magazine called cafe racer, there are movies, web forums even :). If you build something that's good, it will always be good, regardless of the crap that someone else may be doing. From my perspective the chopper TV madness started with Motorcycle Madness which was a pretty good documentary about a guy that was the master of his craft. It's popular to harp on Jessie James because he's so famous but above all that fame he makes seriously nice bikes. I welcome it all, even if the Tutels want to start making Rocky and Bullwinkle cafe bikes, it's not going to affect what I'm building, more power to 'em.

I'd love to be able to do this for a living. I'll go on TV, as long as I get a cute, cohostess :)

Back
Top Bottom