finally a new 400cc middleweight, and it's a triple!

Ceolwulf

virtually real
Vento 400 Cafe GT

400-cafe-gt-2.jpg

Reminds me a lot of the old Bandit 400. Distribution is basically non-existant yet, but this would surely fill a hole in the market that's been open for way too long :)

Vento... Correct me if I'm wrong here but don't they sell a bunch of Chinese 250cc bikes. I know they make one called the v-thunder that's a 250cc v-twin. I think it may even be a cloned design from one of the big 4's motors. Anyway I know their bikes are cheap so that's a big plus and the styling on that one is pretty nice. It looks like an excellent starting point for a tiny fighter. I'd put my 14 year old stepson on one and let him be the shit at school! 8)

That looks awfully nice.
Looking around at the Chinese scooters, though, I think I'll wait for some long-term reviews.

It is the most palatably styled Chinese bike I've seen so far, an obvious nod to the Triumph Speed Triple.

I would be interested in one for my kid. She's not old enough yet. I've been considering a 250 Ninja for her. The Vento would have to be very competitive price wise. I would definitely like that front end for a project though.

hm, a triple, more than likely 4 stroke... (id rather have a two) i like the inverted forks and wider rims. some tweaking and modifying could make this a cooler little scoot. whats the curb weight on this? is there plans for NA distribution?

brewtown16 said:
hm, a triple, more than likely 4 stroke... (id rather have a two) i like the inverted forks and wider rims. some tweaking and modifying could make this a cooler little scoot. whats the curb weight on this? is there plans for NA distribution?

i read 348 lbs. no idea on distribution

Nice to see something in the smaller mid-sized range bikes again. Seems like with all the new bikes you have your choice of a 250cc or 900 & up. I love the light weight and handling of my old KZ400. Never have understood why everyone went away from the mid range sized bikes.

tWistedWheelz said:
I really like the styling and it looks like it would be fun! You could sling it around like it was a cheap hooker!
Until the chinese internals shred themselves to tiny metal bits as you're hanging a corner... :p

I got a chance to spend a couple hours on a quad with that engine in it last year and it went quite well. Something tells me they're pulling a late-60's GM trick and under rating the HP. Felt stronger.

As for durability, I can only say that I tried to break it and the worst I could do is over heat the clutch with a shit ton of 2 and 3rd gear starts. Over rev, extended high revs (about 3 miles at redline in 2nd) etc etc. It's a Drysdale design so likely to be pretty solid.

I'd throw a Manx seat on it, a 900SS fairing and a 3-3 with cocktail shakers and rock the shit out of it. I know the compression is pretty low, IIRC it's like 8,8-1 or something. A little port work, shave the head and such and you could have a real screamer.

Remember, the big Japanese Manufacturers have been using China to build parts and complete engines for years now. The Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki etc. you ride might have all or most of its components made in China, final assembly is likely Japan or N.A. I have been to China and been in some of these plants and if these guys are using the same plants, the quality will be as good as a japanese bike. It all depends on the company doing it's homework and watching the assembly plant. You can get ecellent quality out of Chinese plants, but you have to do your homework, and audits, and have your own QC people, and that isn't expensive. In another job I did this stuff, bought castings and extrusions and our quality was in some cases better than the US and Canadian mills we also bought from. But we had to do a lot of work upfront and had a trustworthy Chinese employee we paid well to help us.

I would think from the look of it they are doing a good job. I would consider this bike as a fun/commuter, depending on price/warranty etc. I read the arcticle on Kneesldier and they sound like they are doing it the right way to get a quality product out of China.

Swagger said:
I got a chance to spend a couple hours on a quad with that engine in it last year and it went quite well. Something tells me they're pulling a late-60's GM trick and under rating the HP. Felt stronger.

As for durability, I can only say that I tried to break it and the worst I could do is over heat the clutch with a shit ton of 2 and 3rd gear starts. Over rev, extended high revs (about 3 miles at redline in 2nd) etc etc. It's a Drysdale design so likely to be pretty solid.

I'd throw a Manx seat on it, a 900SS fairing and a 3-3 with cocktail shakers and rock the shit out of it. I know the compression is pretty low, IIRC it's like 8,8-1 or something. A little port work, shave the head and such and you could have a real screamer.

if it was a 2 stroke you could shave the head to raise compression and power but not with a 4 stroke, you only shave a head on a 4 stroke if you absolutely have to, reason being that you will NEVER get the timing to be perfect ever again, even with an adjustable cam gear or what have you.

That is blatantly incorrect man. I've shaved probably 30 4-stroke heads and oddly enough.....with an adjustable cam gear/sprocket you can indeed dial in exactly the cam timing you need. I don't know where you get your info but please verify, don't pass on bogus crap info....all that does is fuck up other people.

Case(s) in point, my present autocross car has the head shaved .044" and with the adjustable cam gear (Fidanza) I can dial +6*/-8*. Also, depending on what you're running cam chain/belt tensioners and rollers can be shimmed to take up the offset.

My XS850 has .025" milled off, piston pocketed and all I did was shim the chain rollers and adjuster to suit.

My CB450/500T hybrid will run 74mm overbore/highcomp pistons with the head milled(shaved) and oringed to a total of 10.5 to 1. Hansen has some nice adjustable cam gears available and between those and the aforementioned shimming I'll have close to 10* adjustability in either direction.

Perhaps the average wrench can't deal with it, but at the end of the day an engine is just a few hunks of metal. Just because your highschool autoshop teacher didn't tell you it could be done doesn't mean it can't.....make'm do what YOU want.

You are wrong......sorry buddy but when you shave the head you change the height of the cam in the engine, itll never be perfect, itll be close but never perfect

ill get you some stuff to read.......it may take a while but i will PM it to you. its hard to find stuff about this on the interweb so be patient

and for the record i never said you cant deck a head on a 4 stroke, its just not something that shouldnt be done to add power like you can easily do on a 2 stroke, id personally only deck a head on a 4 stroke if the head was warped and use an adjustable cam gear to get it as close as possible.

Back
Top Bottom