Fuck, Harley stole my look!

DrJ

Over 1,000 Posts
I invented the old school lid with hornrim eyeglasses look and Harley used it in their ad for the new Sportster Iron 883! I demand acknowledgement. :mad: Friggin' hipsters have to ruin everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kPguQvyPI8

yeah, but you know no true to life retro-rocker-barista wannabe-tattood-didn't wash my hair in a week or maybe I only want you to think that and it takes me an hour to make it look this way-cool hot chick would never be into a guy with a harley... so we're still all good! (that chick in the commercial is false advertising!)

That was perfect. Imagine how that meeting went:

Brand Manager #1: Let’s identify a demo with high cultural capital.
Brand Manager #2: Do elaborate.
Brand Manager #1: I got it; we’ll create a narrative around the real man--the garage builder.
Brand Manager #2: Yes; yes! We’ll follow a day in his life.
Brand Manager #1: Agreed. He’ll have to have a hot girlfriend.
Brand Manager #2: Check!
Brand Manager #1: And we’ll add a gritty effect to the film
Brand Manager #2: But wait a minute. Our buyers a checkbook riders. They don’t actually build anything.
Brand Manager #1: I know right? We’ll sell them the idea that they are just like our character.
Brand Manager #2: Perfect! Write a check; buy a lifestyle.
Brand Manager #1: …and our formula is perpetuated.

Fucking idiots. Sometimes I wish I didn’t understand this stuff.

--Chris

Ya shoulda been an ad exec Chris! That commercial is so contrived it makes me nauseous. And an insult to everyone who actually builds his own ride. Oh, and I bet they're designing a new cafe-styled Sportster a la the XLCR as we speak. I predict a factory Harley cafe will be out within 2 years, the signs are all there.

DrJ said:
Ya shoulda been an ad exec Chris! That commercial is so contrived it makes me nauseous. And an insult to everyone who actually builds his own ride. Oh, and I bet they're designing a new cafe-styled Sportster a la the XLCR as we speak. I predict a factory Harley cafe will be out within 2 years, the signs are all there.

That's kinda what I do all day--hence my knowledge of how those meetings go. I've never done anything that bad, though. And yes, of course Harley's culture team has been on this website more than a time or too. A cafe is just around the corner for them.

I predict the next big thing is full-blown retro...

--Chris

DrJ,

That really was you....right? ;)

Makes me wonder what I could BUILD for $7,899!!!!

Scott

Chris, you took the words right out of my mouth. your buying the lifestyle. its true. any of us can have any life style we want... all i know is that when it comes to full customs and hotrods, you have to earn it. commercialization of that "old school race" thing is starting to seep over from those ugly ass chrome chopper craze.

DrJ said:

hey j you better copyright that shit,look what i found,
funny how advertising writes our pay checks,

saucer said:
hey j you better copyright that shit,look what i found,
funny how advertising writes our pay checks,

Now that's a product I would wholeheartedly endorse :D Nice job on the illustration Saucer! ;D

brewtown16 said:
isnt it just a nightster with an 883?

by the way, those arent drag bars.

may god help us all

Funny thing, I showed this thread and the spot to my wife, who's about as far from a biker as you can be..... I pointed out the drag bar thing, and she said, "aren't those drag bars BEHIND the guy?" Sure enough..... Take a second look. Classic.

loudest143 ;D

10 guys on $200,000 worth of motorcycles and they ride on up to a shack to party. Sure.

second of all, anyone catch the dude with the panama hat in the machine shop?

No one wears a panama hat in a machine shop, and any machinist I know, or at least any one who thinks bikes are cool would back me up when I say any motherfucker wearing a panama hat in a machine shop needs to have the shit slapped out of him, pronto!

Oh and the guy on the bike is a wanker

Back
Top Bottom