Fuck, Harley stole my look!

hahahaha no i feel ya bud, trust me i ride with a whole crew of guys on BMW's i hear harley jokes all day long ;) as far as the touring bike, i would NEVER go for a distance ride on any bike without at least 3,000 miles on it... no joke, even if they screwed up on torquing down the primary, the pressure on the inner bearing would be too much and that would get fried... there is a ton of stuff you want to get out in the shake down for around 3000.
just to warn you if you do get a HD... service your own, their dealers are KNOWN for ripping people off! took me going to 5 dealers to finally find an honest one! it blows my mind how little some of the techs know and how much they rip people off in the service departments.... unreal, but there are some good ones out there! City Limits HD in IL is one of them, honest good people. granted I would never let anyone else touch a wrench to my bike, but recalls happen and need to be taken care of by the dealer. City limits even lets me hang in back with the tech as he works on my scoot, mainly cause they know me, and know how anal i am... i am cool with being "that guy"

chrisf said:
That was perfect. Imagine how that meeting went:

Brand Manager #1: Let’s identify a demo with high cultural capital.
Brand Manager #2: Do elaborate.
Brand Manager #1: I got it; we’ll create a narrative around the real man--the garage builder.
Brand Manager #2: Yes; yes! We’ll follow a day in his life.
Brand Manager #1: Agreed. He’ll have to have a hot girlfriend.
Brand Manager #2: Check!
Brand Manager #1: And we’ll add a gritty effect to the film
Brand Manager #2: But wait a minute. Our buyers a checkbook riders. They don’t actually build anything.
Brand Manager #1: I know right? We’ll sell them the idea that they are just like our character.
Brand Manager #2: Perfect! Write a check; buy a lifestyle.
Brand Manager #1: …and our formula is perpetuated.

Fucking idiots. Sometimes I wish I didn’t understand this stuff.

--Chris

You sir, are a god damm genius!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Kuyarico said:
I stole Dr. J's look too! ;D

IMG_0485.jpg

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Harly hasn't attracted a "younger crowd" in at least 30 years. This is there best effort to grab a few impulse buying trust fund babies that watch allot of Jesse James. Knowing damed well that if you where to "by the life style" you would never be accepted with a stock $10K bike by the likes of these cats in the add.
I could keep going but I don't know where I would end up, probably just pissed off.

Funny you should say that, because I see more and more 20 something dudes on Hardleys. This year is especially noticeable. Anecdotal evidence, true, but just an observation here in my small mid-western city.

Back to this. It's officially uncool (unless you've been doing it for years like me) to sport this look when the singer of one of the worst and wimpiest pseudo-rock bands in the world gets into the action.

Adam+Levine+Out+Riding+Motorcycle+A-GA0j8QrVal.jpg

Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine and his friends creating their own little motorcycle gang in Los Angeles. (May 17, 2009 - Photo by Photo Agency)

So can we assume then that you are gonna drop that look then?... throw in the towel so to say?...

;D

I know!!.. Why not slap a Girder front end on your bike??... no one's done that yet!!.. ;D

i used to only wear my lid to keep my ears warm on cold rides... after 3 wrecks i wear it to protect my noggen... i dont care who rocks a 3/4, i will keep pimp'n mine... hell my mom has one and i still rock it :)!

I was rockin' that look in 1971 8)
I prefer full face now, but it's hard to find a new/retro full face :)

Harley has a business to run and they will advertize anything they can sell or anything that will further the image of their brand. Just as Nike, adidas, mcdonalds, walmart, blah, blah, blah (yamaha, honda) have done for years. If everone's talking about bobbers and cafe racers, getting tattoos watching american chopper and miami ink they thinks, "well, they want tats and customs, we'll sell them a custom".

I don't get it. I buy as much shit second hand as i can. I find it disgusting that an "item" (pick any) can cost $10 to make in a third world country (of which the people making it maight get a half a cent per item) but still be sold for $150, $200, $250 depending on the "image" associated with it.

I got into nortons, trumpys and all sorts of other bikes from an early age because of the historic racing i got to witness when i was younger and that has flowed through into an adult passion and that passion will still be there when everyone else is regretting their tattoos and selling the bike that's not trendy anymore.

I may sound angry but i'm not. Just confused because i can't understand why someone would look at this ad and think that they'd suddenly become part of a culture or an ideal and that they can now belong in this new place that everyone else is. I just don't get it. Everyone's still trying to keep up with the joneses next door, it's just now the joneses have a mass produced McCustom. Next year it'll be tassles and full dressers again.

I'll just keep on doin my own thing.

Sorry if i offend, just my $0.02.

This is great in my eyes... Let every trust funder and attention whore go out and buy up all the vintage gear, blacked out sportys, and cafe racers they can pack into there garages. Than in a year or two when killer bikes and the 60s/70s image isnt whats rockin on MTV, craigslist and ebay will be LOADED with all their unused shit on the dirt cheap! I love when the "mainstream" gets all hot and bothered over the "underground" shit i dig. It just makes it easier for me to hustle the suckers out of shit they dont deserve, nor ever truly understood. I dont mean to sound like some elitist asshole, im not... I couldnt give a rats ass who you are or what you do, as long as your true to yourself. The people who buy shit based solely on its popularity in TV culture, arent. Fuck em'. Lets all keep on keepin on and save our scratch to buy those sportys for 1/2 off in a bit when somethin else takes there place. Its the way of the world. The mindless consume and destroy, and those of us with vision and creativity pick up the spoils of their destruction and build the real beautiful things.

VonYinzer said:
This is great in my eyes... Let every trust funder and attention whore go out and buy up all the vintage gear, blacked out sportys, and cafe racers they can pack into there garages. Than in a year or two when killer bikes and the 60s/70s image isnt whats rockin on MTV, craigslist and ebay will be LOADED with all their unused shit on the dirt cheap! I love when the "mainstream" gets all hot and bothered over the "underground" shit i dig. It just makes it easier for me to hustle the suckers out of shit they dont deserve, nor ever truly understood. I dont mean to sound like some elitist asshole, im not... I couldnt give a rats ass who you are or what you do, as long as your true to yourself. The people who buy shit based solely on its popularity in TV culture, arent. Fuck em'. Lets all keep on keepin on and save our scratch to buy those sportys for 1/2 off in a bit when somethin else takes there place. Its the way of the world. The mindless consume and destroy, and those of us with vision and creativity pick up the spoils of their destruction and build the real beautiful things.

You make a great point. Bring on the consumers, i shall dance on the corpses of their unwanted and discarded treasures. ;D

awsome thread, last 2 post especially.

It gets very annoying people buying into a culture for the glam. But i agree completely, its much cheaper picking up peoples throw aways because its suddenly worthless to them.. its a great gag.

I've been doing the same thing for years with records, old stereo equip, speakers, musical instruments.. when i think of guys in bar bands i can only instantly create low gurral dreadful noises of agony, uggghhhhhhh...... but at the same time no matter what i think of these guys, the fact remains, i have gotten some incredible deals buying used tube guitar amps and cabinets and more from these guys at prices that would make your head explode..

I would feel bad because im like robbin this guy blind and hes actually consenting to it.. while burping and scratching his beer gut and farting...not in the funny hey im a boy and im gross kinda way but more like a hey im like a slobby man and i could give a shit kinda way..

who am I to judge?

..yet i do it anyway. (i cant help it sometimes)

phrige said:
the fact remains, i have gotten some incredible deals buying used tube guitar amps and cabinets and more from these guys at prices that would make your head explode..

pray tell of your exploits!

The latest and greatest one was this summer, met one guy whos wife was hen peckin him to holy hell. He had to clean out the garage.. I was really low on cash at the time but refused to let this deal slip past.

I got (2) 100Watt Tube amps. Nothing extraordinary but they do sound pretty Nice,
1- Lacy Pro Tube Lead
1 - Kittyhawk M-1 .. not bad.. oh but it doesnt end there....

add on 1 relic Peavey mixer 16 channel,

1 Ampeg Cabinet, with 18" speaker, big ass speaker Most definitely a Bass Cabinet which I dont have a bass,but i couldnt turn down such a nice cabinet.

then ... not done yet. add to that,

2 vintage organs.
1- Solid State "Thomas" organ with the works pedals and switchs and all kinds of traditional style organ-ness....
and. the kicker,
1930 Hammond Tube organ.. its awsome, pretty good shape Its not the infamous B-3, i forgot the model, but its an awsome awsome organ..

and Im in this guys garage hes farting and burping and smoking cigs like its his job. I'm looking at this stuff, like shoot he's ganna kill me with the price.. He also had a 500watt bass amp i didnt buy from him. so I go, how much do you want for all this? he says...

well if you take the two organs.. 500... minus the bass amp $300.... ughhhh You got yourself a deal partner.. i didnt need the bass amp, especially a 500watt. but holy hell was i riding out of there like i just robbed the first national bank.. I genuinely felt bad for the guy, he used to play in local bars every weekend then gave it up a few years ago, since then I guess his wife just eroded all his will till he couldnt do anything but give the stuff away.

That really is the best story I got, its a hell of a deal. I've gotten a lot of free/cheap stereos, turntables, keyboards/organs, lots and lots of records. But that load of Guitar stuff really was a killer catch.

How bout you blake, any great deal stories?

Dude that ampeg box would be worth around $500 on it's own! Nice steal.
Just thought i'd pitch in with my own story. Just the one item but walked into a pawnbroker and he had an old amp behind some junk covered in dust. Turns out he wanted $600 (AU) for it so i bought it there and then. It's a late seventies Roost SR25 150 watt 6 valve amplifier which are little know but prized by those who do. The were loosely modeled around the Hiwatt. I was playing it through my trace cab for a while untill my aunty cleaned out her shed and gave me a Peavey Black Widow 2x12 cab.

phrige said:
How bout you blake, any great deal stories?

My biggest "flip" was a dusty find by the back door of a music store. It was a Sovtek Mig50 tube head. I asked the guy how much for it. He said it was there for years and needed some work. He gave it to me for $50. All it needed was a fuse and a cord, a $5 fix). The Black Keys were blowing up around this time and suddenly everyone wanted a Mig50. I sold it to a guy for $475!!!

I bought a Digitech Whammy WH-1 pedal for $100 when I was about 15 with a $100 bill I found on the road and sold it to a guy in France for $500 two years ago. That was sweet.

Back
Top Bottom