Thoughts on how to bend-back a large aluminum fin?

grcamna5

Over 1,000 Posts
I have my early 80's XR200 that I'm doing a full engine restore to and along with that I'm considering the challenge of straightening this bent alloy 'fin' on the chaingaurd side of the left crankcase.I have located this motor bottom-end from someone and purchased it for a fair price and this left case(and other engine parts)are in relatively great condition for a 30+ yr. old dirtbike.This 'fin' is usually never even there on these engines as the chain jumps off of the front sprocket and wipes-out this fin as it rips off the countershaft cover and destroys the left case.I want to run this engine on the street in my CB125S along with that models countershaft/chain cover where this 'fin' will meet up to the back side of the cover.. My goal is to try to bend this fin back to normal so that it will keep the chain grease off the rest of the left side of the engine plus it's good practice for me to learn how to do this right; I've never broken any fins doing this on cylinders yet ::) :D
I am considering how to slowly bend-back this 'fin' toward it's original position similar to how I've bent-back a few cylinder fins in the past,slowly & carefully..
I wonder if any of you have ever done this to such a large aluminum fin? possibly w/ heat applied,etc.?
What are your thoughts/opinions on doing this ?

Attachments

• DSCN1853.JPG
    DSCN1853.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 187
  • DSCN1856.JPG
    DSCN1856.JPG
    818.1 KB · Views: 183
Sent the cases and everything you want clean to this guy at RestoCycle these are my cases froman XL project

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68670.msg814408#msg814408

Just heat it and bend it with an adjustable wrench slowly, if it snaps off it can be welded back and blended to perfection

This case was welded look close big long weld just over the shifter in the shape of a frown

40666d62a1baf6a2dda0028adc164e34.jpg

30dff16b6c5ec61197e683cabeee7a4b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom