1972 Jawa 250 Californian - Rust Machine

Well, finally got it back today. Had a looong chat with the guy there and all good now...

So got it home, put it on the bench next to the engine and I couldn't be happier.

166.jpg

I've nearly finished the wiring loom. I made it as per the original spec and have to make a few small mods for the electronic points replacement.

Will need to paint the middle section of the tank too. And hopefully I'll see the frame back not too far away.

Progress, yay.
Damian.

No idea why it wasn't sticking. Poor preparation. Contaminated baths. I don't know. Glad it's ok though.

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk

Looks great. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it holds up. Last thing you want is flaking chrome.

I would like to see a picture of the wiring loom if you have any.

Brodie, your wish is my command.

Whole thing
167.jpg

Front indicators, bars switch gear and in headlight
168.jpg

Engine electricals
169.jpg

Tail lights and rear indicators
170.jpg

Also, my wife got the vaseline onto the tank kneepads. Left cleaned, right not so much.
171.jpg

I love this build! You started off with something unique, you are taking your time and doing everything right. This is going to be one beautiful machine once it is all finished. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see it complete.

All right. I've got the frame back after the guy pressed the swing arm sleeve back in. A bit of touch up painting to do, but not terrible.

Next up is getting this thing to give me some spark.

So I think I'm ok with the CDI. Power via the kill switch, sensors via the magnetic switch and a little spark our the other end. Yet to be tested...
174.jpg

And for the charging there are two black wires coming from the alternator into the reg/rec. I can only assume it doesn't matter which way they are as it is fully wave rectified. I'm a little puzzled as to what the yellow and green wire is. Could this be for an indicator light in the dash? Let me know.
172.jpg

I'll do some testing later this week and report back.
D.

Frame repainted after the bearing place marked it up.

Mineral oil added to the engine ready for first start.

175.jpg

While waiting for the frame paint to dry, again, I've put the first colour on the fuel tank.

I'm happy with the black and chrome. I'm seriously looking forward to when the red stripe is on.

D.

Looks great, I've been following along... You'll have one of the nicest Jawas around for sure.

I dig the black and chrome tank, is it going to have red pin-striping between the black and chrome or where do you plan on putting the red?

Mixed update this time around.

Front and back breaks unsiezed, cleaned and fitted with new pads.

I baked my front fender and the red colour faded to a dark purple. Cest la vie. Time to repaint and reconsider the oven heat and duration for attempt #2.

I agree. Baking high temp parts sure, but tins? Seems unnecessary. Let them cure in the sun before clearing them with a 2k clear, should be fine.

I was worried the paint wouldn't be hardened. Ah well, some repaint to be done

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk

I like the middle colour the best, go with that. What is it, 120C for 5 minutes?

As Jsharp said, just stick it in the sun for a while. Even if it is still cold as buggery.

Hello Im from Czech Republic, I browse DTT all the time, but just found this project, just wanted to let you know that I find it awesome that you restored this bike.
I used to have a standard model with the same engine, the're awesome I bet you will love the sound it makes once you fire the thing up its just unmistakeable.

Back
Top Bottom