1976 Honda CB360T - The first step is admitting I have a problem build

Hey, my bike's blue as well and isn't done. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

The gasket set was supposed to arrive yesterday, but no sign of it. The USPS tracking says it's somewhere between me and Minnesota, so yay :-\

Guess I have to go work on the CBR900RR so I can sell that off to finance future bad ideas. I keep looking at it and thinking "make it a naked" or "get stock replacement farings like you did with the last 900" but then I remember the whole idea was to put it back together cheaply and get it out the door. So far, I've spent $350 on the bike, $25 on a new fuel pump, $3 on a replacement fuel T, $2 on new fuel line, and probably $4 on gas for it. Let's see if I can keep this one under $500. It would make it cheaper than the 360, I'll tell you that :p

Worst cb650 ever said:
Let's see if I can keep this one under $500. It would make it cheaper than the 360, I'll tell you that :p

You need to start thinking of the 360 as your retirement investment. ;)

Heheheh, I can look at it and say "oh yea, that's where all of my money for my retirement went!" ;D

The gaskets didn't arrive today either, but I did get some work done on my Dad's Triumph TR3 engine, as well as the CBR900. Hopefully Monday gaskets will appear...

yep, maybe not the best investment, but, still an investment none the less. ;D

also, they will make a great retirement project...mostly cause we will all still be working on them.

trek97 said:

also, they will make a great retirement project...mostly cause we will all still be working on them.
Well... not everyone. ;)

trek97 said:

I could have bought a NICE used bike for what I have sunk into my 360... Oy!

I now have five, four in pieces so I have plenty of 'retirement' options.
Only one ever runs though the others are 'in progress' ;D

3DogNate said:
I could have bought a NICE used bike for what I have sunk into my 360... Oy!

I dont even want to think about all the whiskey, hookers and cigars.

So lacking gaskets I spent more time on the latest CBR900 today. After I corrected the PO's coil pack to plug stupidity (Hondas 4 cyls are almost all 1-4 and 2-3 for the coil packs people!) and reinstalled the carbs minus the jellied gas and plus a cleaned choke linkage, it fired right up and ran like a top.

So, let me get this straight - I bought the bike for $350, and have less than $50 in parts in it (including gas), and it already runs better than my 360? Something's wrong here, I tell ya ;D

I paid $2000 for my 1991 Nighthawk 750 and then $400 for 2 tires and a tuneup. It runs great. I v have over $3500 in the CB360 and it still isn't finished. I bought the 750 in 2004 when I estimated the cost of restoring the 360. In 2012 I decided to restore the 360 anyway. My cost estimates were close.

Yea, my Dad has an '83 Nighthawk 650, and if the bike is lucky, he puts fresh gas in it in the spring. He brings the battery up from the basement, hooks it up, airs up the tires and rides away. Sigh...

The Postal Orifice has no idea where my 360 gaskets are, other than they are no longer in Minnesota. Sigh.

So, I decided to work on my Dad's Triumph TR3 motor, and was able to get the cam in and timed and the distributor / oil pump drive shaft and its bushing installed. I wasn't thinking and didn't freeze the bronze distributor drive bushing sleeve, so it was kind of a pain to install.

At least timing the thing was a breeze thanks to the factory timing marks. Of course, the front engine mounting plate gasket had several holes punched in the general area of where bolts go through, not actually lined up with anything. The gasket packaging said "Trust Lucas." Trust Lucas my lily white Irish arse...

Updates! The gaskets arrived shortly after I last posted, the new cylinder and pistons went on, and there was peace in the Middle East for at least 15 minutes as a result.

WyrIbjEl.jpg

I found a plugged slow jet in the left hand carb (how do I keep plugging these things!?!?!?!?) which was causing the cold cylinder at idle, and took care of that. I also put some stainless steel wool (one of those scrubby things for pots and pans) in each muffler, as the exhaust was making my ears ring at 45. Much better now.

Finally, I rebuilt the front forks after I blew a leaking seal on the backroads. ATF, ATF everywhere. I've only had the seal kit lying around for two years...I took that opportunity to clean and rebuild the steering head bearings as well. The preload was way too loose on that, and the grease in there was like glue.

x5PzU0ml.jpg

Since then, I've just been riding the piss out of it. Midrange on the stock carbs is a little herky jerky, but PJ's carbs may be going back on to address that. I also found out what touches down first when leaning it hard through the corners - the right side peg has a little less paint than before, whoops.

oaJPdWXl.jpg

I also made the mistake of test riding a 2015 Ducati Monster 821. Brb, gotta rob a bank...

C8vOnHXl.jpg

This is great news! Good job.

Make sure the fuel tap is clean and screens are intact. Something I did was took the magnet out of an old hard drive and snapped it in half w two pairs of needle nose. dropped it in bottom of the petcock clean out bowl. It grabs a lot of shit. Only reason I didnt drop them into the carb bowls is the steel pin on the float valve.

I looked into one of those Bore-O-meters you got, dang. $119 on amazon. Too much for me.

Mike... wanna come up to Oregon and buy my 695?

I'll give you a good deal on it. :D

Attachments

• 2014-07-25 001.JPG
    2014-07-25 001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 274
trek97 said:
Something I did was took the magnet out of an old hard drive and snapped it in half w two pairs of needle nose. dropped it in bottom of the petcock clean out bowl. It grabs a lot of shit. Only reason I didnt drop them into the carb bowls is the steel pin on the float valve.

Pins should be brass, although I did have some stainless steel ones for a while

Another update...the 360 is still alive and kicking - as I said before, I've been riding the heck out of it.

Updates I've made have been minor, but have helped rideability a great deal. I finally replaced the chain (39 years, is that all I get out of the original one?!?!?) and sprockets, and my God is the bike so much smoother! I picked up an eBay bundle of JT sprockets (stock tooth count) and an RK 350 chain from seller "lytleracinggroup" for about $85, and other than discovering that three of the four nuts holding the rear sprocket on were less than hand tight :eek: the install (with loc-tite!!!) went fine. I did have to cut a couple of links off the chain they sent me, as it was a 100 link chain, a bit too long. Hello angle grinder with a cut off disk.

I also replaced both the clutch and brake levers with replicas (complete with that fancy plastic dipped end), to try to get the "flop" out of the levers. This helped the clutch, but the brake lever was still funky. It turns out I was missing the bushing that's supposed to be the disengaged stop for the lever. I made a new one out of some vinyl tubing, a cut down nail, and some sheet metal to hold it in place, and greased the heck out of it. No more floppy lever. I also lubed the control cables while I was at it, which helped smooth up the clutch action.

The mufflers were also packed with a couple "pads" of stainless steel scrubbers to reduce noise a bit. It's helped some, I don't feel I need earplugs riding around town.

Finally, the last "mod" I made was switching to 93 octane gas. That took most of the midrange herky-jerkyeness out of the thing. It was just a random "let's try this" thing after a long fast ride out into the country. I had to diddle with the idle a bit, and ended up backing off the idle fuel screws from 1.5 to 1 turns out, but it made a clear difference. I have to use the choke to start the bike on cooler days now too, interesting as I've never needed the choke to start the bike before.

I spoke with my Dad's best friend, as he owned a new CB360 "back in the day," and his theory was "regular" gas back then was low lead 91-95 octane. The high octane he ran in his modified big block Corvette was 100-102 octane. He ended up trading in his 360 on a Norton Commando 750, so I'm not sure how much we can trust him ;D

I also pulled the rear "hoop" off the frame and beat the hell out of one of the stock tail light mounts to straighten it back out. This, of course, let to me repainting it and the tail light bracket, as well as the fender mount clamp, first with etching primer and then with Rustoleum Satin Black. I find that color black matches the stock Honda frame paint pretty well.

I also polished the fender with steel wool and WD40 and painted the inside of it with Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer after wire brushing off as much of the muck as I could. I then hit it with a couple coats of rubberized undercoating spray. Turned out pretty well, I think!

The quest to scrub the chicken strips off the tires continues, but I keep bottoming out the pegs and exhaust. I think these Shinkos offer a little better cornering grip than stock issue for 1976.

What's left to do on it (other than a full teardown and repaint, which may never happen while I own the bike, as it's only original once) is to fit a steering damper to the front and to replace the shift lever with an original style one.

The steering gets a little floaty at times. Turns out that after I cleaned and repacked the steering bearings, the steering is much smoother. The old bearing grease was acting like the world's worst friction damper! I picked up a Suzuki damper off a GSX-R or Busa or something on eBay, but need to get a fork tube clamp mount, as the lower triple's stock mount boss is too small for the diameter of the Suzuki's mounting bolt. Mounting ideas are welcome!

If anyone has a goodish stock lever to replace my obviously wrong and bent to shit one, I would be glad to send you $$$ for it. At some point the welds on the one I have are going to fail if I keep having to bend it.

Back
Top Bottom