And then there were two.. 1976 GT250 Rebuild

Thanks fellas

Got a bit more done. Discovered why the front brake was seized. Evidently gritty rust and rubber cement type gunk don't make great brake fluid.
80e1269f1aa78a9e4ae2f0677f92f76d.jpg

9c30809f0ecca8044b94ce217c0a47b4.jpg

Cleaned thoroughly and rebuild kit and new pads installed. The cylinder bore looked good and cleaned up well. Probably should have repainted the caliper, but the paint was still "good enough".
8d55d27c32dcd7bf17b618ea3d9a5e4b.jpg

80aedcfdd85c3b504b8e5fe97a79dc8e.jpg

4f4f9595095447712aeaf80c49d62452.jpg

Brackets and grommets switched over from old lines to new braided stainless line. All bolted up=) I have this strange tenancy to make things stop well before I make them go well lol
2049905caa3a4d066cdf427f33aea4d8.jpg

Movin right along eh!!

Just did the same on the 550 but backwards :-\ I rode it with just back brakes and then fixed the frozen front master, just couldn't wait for the parts to show up :eek:

hey that disc looks awful shiny, i would be tempted to cross hatchit HEAVILY with some 36 grit
those ss discs suck at coef o frixshun

Tune-A-Fish said:
Movin right along eh!!

Just did the same on the 550 but backwards :-\ I rode it with just back brakes and then fixed the frozen front master, just couldn't wait for the parts to show up :eek:
Yeah I rode this one years back when I first got it with less than par front brakes. It's a wonder they didn't seize on me haha.

xb33bsa said:
hey that disc looks awful shiny, i would be tempted to cross hatchit HEAVILY with some 36 grit
those ss discs suck at coef o frixshun
I had thought about that. I was actually trying to source a shop around here to have it ground, but no luck yet

hurco550 said:
I had thought about that. I was actually trying to source a shop around here to have it ground, but no luck yet

Automotive machine shops have a flywheel grinder that leaves a nice swirl pattern on the discs,very aggressive bite on your pads.

Thanks man!
I did a little research and I think ill go with this place. I have read some good things about them and the price is right too.

http://www.truedisk.net/home.html

hurco550 said:
Thanks man!
I did a little research and I think ill go with this place. I have read some good things about them and the price is right too.

http://www.truedisk.net/home.html

Little bike is looking great, bro! Hey, I've seen lots of guys on here drill their own disks. If you want to get some decent bits you are welcome to use my drill press.

Thanks cory! You'll have so stop down and see it some time.

Got a bit done tonight. Finished plumbing up the brake line to the new master cylinder. Had to use a banjo bolt with a brake switch built in as the new master doesn't have one built in. Put the new grips on as well and cleaned up the hand control switches. I have to wire up the rats nest in the headlight, which is the part I'm looking forward to the least. I guess that's all part of the game right?

9d093437db7b0f852b5ffc4b5c677ecb.jpg

Well I did what I should have done years ago... pulled the head. Looks like I may not have needed crank seals after all (I still blame my at the time 17 or 18 year old ignorance). I don't think those holes in the piston are supposed to be there haha. Looks like a fresh bore and pistons are in order as well. This engine should be good to go when all is said and done.

87da783df795e191c1f8a654a9b575c8.jpg

Are they "holes" from detonation or could it just be casting bubbles... seems to be to conformed and random for detno ::) :eek:

Tune-A-Fish said:
Are they "holes" from detonation or could it just be casting bubbles... seems to be to conformed and random for detno ::) :eek:
Yes,they are random, but they don't appear to me to be casting bubbles. it looks like all the other holes I've burnt through two stoke pistons through the years. Ha. But my previous statement last night may have been false (it was late and the old milwaukees were going down smooth). I think it still came from a crank seal failure, leaned it out, and did bad things.

Haah! the Old Swill won't leave you wrong though... if you can get the first can down the rest are like coal cars... just follow the one in front :eek: :eek: :eek:

My mother and sister in law are in town and staying with us, which directly corrolates to me spending more time in the garage. Since I already pulled the head, jugs and pistons off last night, I figured I might as well tear the rest of the mill down as well.
eec24d4f4e9024862760b97e338b2305.jpg

5b3b0d2929ecbdf438583c36cbf2d186.jpg

I guess I'm committed now lol
a3f6b4d29a52982cebd84901eaf47782.jpg

The engine stand bracketry was well worth it, and it made the tear down a breeze.
61ebd47d9fc478e659b22a6fb2dffff0.jpg

The cases are now resting in the solvent tank
9f5573ef1624b20288462ceb1d8b2b39.jpg

But as with any engine tear down, there is always unforseen "issues". The crank will need sent out for new bearings and seals. I was hoping to get away with just outside crank seals, but I found that it needs a new center seal, and I feel like the bearing play throughout is "on the edge", which to me means that now is the time to replace them.

I guess it's time to do a little side work to pay for all this stuff, but I'm hoping to have a solid dependable little scoot when all is done. Well as solid and dependable as a mid 70's two smoker can be haha

Back
Top Bottom