83' 440 ltd project/ question

stevewag

hey guys, glad to be back on the site. Spent the last little while with my mid 90's sportbikes but now have a 440 ltd destined to be a rat/ cafe. I have a question about pic 1 that I have cleaned up to look like like pic 2. Essentially is it usable even with all its pitting?
The bike turns over, has spark, has compression, will run for few seconds with carb cleaner sprayed in carb.

Attachments

• P6260012.JPG
    P6260012.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 256
  • P6280013.JPG
    P6280013.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 271
If it fires, you should be good to go. Keep the advancer oiled (maybe a light coat on the rust pits too) so it doesn't freeze up. Later on you might discover that the coil may need replacing (seems like lots of '80s bikes' coils are now needing replacement). If so, replace all the ignition stuff (coil, wires, caps). Now on to the carbs!

started on the carb 1 today and the main and pilot jets (think thats thier names) are plugged solid. No wonder it wouldn't run. Off to work next week. Will post some pics and progress next week. Good to know those ignition parts may be salvagable. All the ebay stuff looks as bad as mine.

noticed on my carbs that the air/fuel screw seems to be missing a rubber o ring. The fiche show it there, but might it be they were not used? It seems to be that most carbs of the era did have both a metal washer and rubber o ring under the spring. If anyone out there has thoughts on this please let me know. Thanks

Get a small flashlight and a small dental pick (or small diameter long nail with a bent tip) and see if the "O" ring is just hung up in the bore of the idle mix adjust tube.

Also - don't forget the idle fuel jet in the bottom of the carb under the rubber plug. Remove the jet prior to cleaning out the carb body. This area typically gets cruddy as fuel meanders into the idle jet area from the main jet area (the reason for the rubber plug - it seals off the idle jet fuel area from the float bowl).

Back
Top Bottom