"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Over the past week I've been looking into the blower drive take off that I was contemplating - ie from the alternator fixing bolt [ 12mm ]. It's the only logical / practical place, but I was concerned about the torsional shear stress on the fixing. The blower will take around 15 - 20 bhp to drive, but it's the inertia that needs to be overcome that's a concern. Soooooooooo - back to the turbo then !!! What's that about " I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure" !!

The blower set up is much more familiar to me, but I do not want to take the risk of a marginal drive output. So I will revert to using he same take off to drive the Gixer oil pump for the oil cooler and turbo feed. The only good news [ ? ] is that I spent some months thinking about the turbo set up and planning the packaging. One of the major benefits is the much lower weight and compactness.

The decision was finally declared a no-brainer when our pal Der-Nanno informed me that he's found a carbon seal turbo for his TR1 project. Thanx mate ! That means I can use the SU carb I have in a draw through set-up and I already bought most of the ancillaries I will need - boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, oil lines and fittings, etc., etc. That makes the whole packaging much simpler - including manifolding, even my 2 > 1 high level exhaust will easily hook up to the turbo flange !

The ramp and all parts are now round at my pal's garage, he's just finishing replacing and moving some of the light fittings and then we're good to go.

Attachments

• ct20 2.jpg
    ct20 2.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 169
  • kz oil system 008.jpg
    kz oil system 008.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 185
  • kz oil system 013.jpg
    kz oil system 013.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 185
  • kz oil system 008.jpg
    kz oil system 008.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 172
  • kz oil system 012.jpg
    kz oil system 012.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 178
  • kz oil system 006.jpg
    kz oil system 006.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 167
So it begins ..... again ! ::)

Set up in my pal's garage. Dummy engine and parts will be installed this week. remarkably I have located MOST of the parts that were in my shed !! ;)

Next job [ next week ] is to align front wheel and measure up for the wheel spacers - then I can roughly align the rear wheel and again measure for spacers.

Attachments

• bike dec 2017 010.jpg
    bike dec 2017 010.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 178
  • bike dec 2017 013.jpg
    bike dec 2017 013.jpg
    766.6 KB · Views: 176
  • bike dec 2017 015.jpg
    bike dec 2017 015.jpg
    918.1 KB · Views: 174
Glad I could be of service. It's a bit of a shame really, as I really wanted to see how your KZ750 with a blower stacks up against my Turbo TR1 and even more so, to ride that one out in Glemseck. That being said, I just pulled the trigger on an Eaton M24 (it was too cheap to pass) and will get my whole CT20 setup going. I may have a cunning idea for a supercharger-drive, but I first have to make sure, I can find some room for everything inside that engine case...

(Once I crack open that can of worms, I'll get a thread started as I am currently busy with my new everyday TR1 engine...)

Thanx for the headsup on the Eaton ................... I'm selling my race prepped FI Eaton and the stock Merc 200 version. So I guess I will also be looking for an M24 !! I have the germ of an idea for a substantial drive for the KZ........ but it will require machining - again ! However, I will then have a spare engine [ # 3 ] to play with.

Another few bits of the jigsaw in play now ! 8) My pal AC [ C Type reps ] will get his guys to fab my alloy under frame fuel cell and all the fittings and is supplying me with a pair of the 325 mm RAMSHOX. ;D

I've also ordered the combo oil feed / return flange for the Turbo.

Next week we'll be finalising the measurements for the wheel spacers and setting up the bike ride height / geometry, etc.

Attachments

• S ON AVON 002222.jpg
    S ON AVON 002222.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 164
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    125 KB · Views: 156
Cool stuff, let me know how you like that oil-drain-feed-thingy, I have considered buying one and then decided against it, mainly, because I have some oil-lines I want to re-use ...

der_nanno said:
Cool stuff, let me know how you like that oil-drain-feed-thingy, I have considered buying one and then decided against it, mainly, because I have some oil-lines I want to re-use ...

Will do.

It's cheap enough £8.50 .... but the carriage [ from the USA ] is £16 !!!! That said, the weld bungs would cost about £15.00 for the pair here in the UK.

The fittings are 10AN drain and 4 AN feed. Those Chinabay oil lines and fittings I bought are TOP quality and silly cheap. I just got a few random fittings and hose just to check the quality out. My pal Brian was the UK agent for Russell Hose and he is impressed with them. Once we've laid out what lines we need I'll get the parts ordered.

I've just made contact with a guy who is into Autocross and builds all his own cars and engines. He's taken pity on my non-existent machining , welding and fab skills and has said he will make what bits he can for me.

BTW Greg ..... looks like I found my Motobecane !!!! An old pal in France who builds my pal's C and D Type replicas made contact with me to order another car [ that's THREE ] from my pal. He calls me as my pal's French is non existent ..... and mine is conversational, if out of practice.

He has in fact found me a choice of 4 - 3 MB and one Terrot. All around 300 euros, but OK for my purposes.

So, thanx for putting the word out for me with your pals, but looks like I'm sorted. Unless you know of a super cheap 125 / 250 Virago motor !!!!! He is coming over with an empty trailer to collect his next car in Feb/March and will bring the bike [s !! ] over with him.

Attachments

• 371a9b85ab5b6a6793de9cfb9f6e02a6.jpg
    371a9b85ab5b6a6793de9cfb9f6e02a6.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 159
  • eb79410b83386b238ebf010f98b2e190.jpg
    eb79410b83386b238ebf010f98b2e190.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 164
beachcomber said:
BTW Greg ..... looks like I found my Motobecane !!!! An old pal in France who builds my pal's C and D Type replicas made contact with me to order another car [ that's THREE ] from my pal. He calls me as my pal's French is non existent ..... and mine is conversational, if out of practice.

He has in fact found me a choice of 4 - 3 MB and one Terrot. All around 300 euros, but OK for my purposes.

So, thanx for putting the word out for me with your pals, but looks like I'm sorted. Unless you know of a super cheap 125 / 250 Virago motor !!!!! He is coming over with an empty trailer to collect his next car in Feb/March and will bring the bike [s !! ] over with him.

now that is going to look cool with a supercharger on it

spotty said:
now that is going to look cool with a supercharger on it

Ha,ha ........... you peeked inside my brain !!!!!!!!

Small V twin - Virago 125 / 250 with my small Eaton blower ................... of course I ALSO have a spare KZ750 twin motor now with 40DCOE Weber ...............

If / When it happens, I guess I'll have to start another thread ................... that will be for the final, final project then ?

That's sweet!

I think I have an idea for my supercharger drive as well... I think we shoot back and forth a few of those ideas via e-mail again, that might actually work for you on the Kwak.

canyoncarver said:
Yep it'll take brass cojones to ride it with a supercharged virago 250 motor.

HAVE YOU SEEN THE BRAKES ???????????????????????

Actually, I'm planning on running a trans disc brake, just have to remember NOT to pull the clutch in when I brake !

Actually my pal Adrian has THREE spare 1000cc TR1 engines [ chain drive ]............................... noooooo, that would be silly, maybe.

TJ, remember, some of us are getting close to 100hp out of the ol' TR1 lump. Now I am not one, who is to be called a spoilsport, but... ;)

Supercharged 250 on the other hand... They are stupidly cheap, spare parts come straight from Guanzhou's finest and if you ask me, 40-50hp in a 1930ies frame with girder forks and drum brakes is probably enough excitement for a day or two.

Actually this little bugger was the inspiration for the baby Virago powerplant ....... looks at home in a small chassis / bike. One of our German cousins was responsible. 8)

Greg ...... 125 / 250 Virago lumps are not silly cheap in the UK any more ! Expect to pay north of £300 for anything these days. A few years ago - a complete bike would cost that !

I always have the spare Weber KZ 750 engine ? ;)

I have asked my French pal to put an offer in for the Motobecane - I think it is on a pure sale site - not an auction like E-Bay.

Attachments

• img202.jpg
    img202.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 149
  • img194.jpg
    img194.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 160
beachcomber said:
Actually this little bugger was the inspiration for the baby Virago powerplant ....... looks at home in a small chassis / bike. One of our German cousins was responsible. 8)

Greg ...... 125 / 250 Virago lumps are not silly cheap in the UK any more ! Expect to pay north of £300 for anything these days. A few years ago - a complete bike would cost that !

I always have the spare Weber KZ 750 engine ? ;)

I have asked my French pal to put an offer in for the Motobecane - I think it is on a pure sale site - not an auction like E-Bay.

Neat bike, what's up with the offset chain drive? Necessary?

canyoncarver said:
Neat bike, what's up with the offset chain drive? Necessary?

NO ..... that was a clever ploy for a jackshaft to take the trans disc brake ! You can just spot it on the other view [ exhaust side ] Like I said, just have to remember NOT to brake while the clutch is disengaged !

back to the main plot ...... what a difference a day makes - or to be precise - half a day ! ;D

As well as the obvious progress in the pix, the blower manifolding / mountings have been worked out as well as the carb intake for the SU - which I guarantee will make you go weak at the knees ! ;). The exhaust has been swung over to the other side - and will also look the bollox.

Also rough mounting points for the seat and "tank". The seat is sitting 2" high in the pix as it's currently over the tie down straps. The Tarrozi fork brace is total bollox ............. nowhere near - after I had to order it specially - and of course pay a premium.

There is loads of room for the fuel cell [ under frame ] which again has worked out a treat. Room for TWO NOS bottles hidden under the "tank".

A lot of other "whatif" ideas have also been crystallized.

Thanx to my pal Brian - who is barely well enough to move into the garage, never mind carry out the precision fab work.

So YES, it will be Eaton blower now, anyone want a new CT20 turbo !!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1277.JPG
    IMG_1277.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_1278.JPG
    IMG_1278.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_1274.JPG
    IMG_1274.JPG