My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project (exhausting!)

It's a start, I got five of the sections formed and welded. I have to order a slip roll, I did these pieces just by wrapping around anything laying around that was the right diameter. Holy cow just tacking 22ga with mig is hard, thought it would be easier. Gas works great for the welding part though, so easy to control the heat.

Attachments

• form.JPG
    form.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 218

What torch are you using for the gas welding? My wifey got me a Smith AW1A recently with the 3 smallest tips and a set of ultra lightweight hoses... best setup I have ever had for welding sheet metal... its amazing how fast gas welding has gone away even though it is still the superior method in many applications.

You going to weld each ring before you start welding them together? Looks like you will be spending a lot of time fitting those up to weld! Depending on your patience level that can be the most rewarding part... take your time, its gunna be sick when your done!

LaynDoor, wish I had your smith setup! I have some no name torch but honestly it works fine, was thinking about getting one of those mecco midget torches when I was welding up the aluminum tank but never got around to it. For years I have worked in fab/machine shops so I had the best gear available to use, now I am out of that line of work I have to use what I've got at home. I hear you on the gas welding, I just love braze welding with the oxy/acetylene although I haven't done much for many years.

I will be rolling all the cones and then welding the seams and dressing them out before I do any assembly. Got to get it all assembled with little to no gaps then I won't need to use any filler rod.

johnu said:
Got to get it all assembled with little to no gaps then I won't need to use any filler rod.

That will be a serious accomplishment. Cant wait to see it done man!

As far as the smith setup goes, i was absolutely shocked at how small and defined the cone is with the smallest tip... for sheetmetal, its like having a TIG... maybe better.

Finally got my slip rollers :) All the cones are rolled except the ones in the front of the pics, I think I will have to make them in two pieces because it is impossible to skid the metal around to get the correct cone shape while rolling it through.

Attachments

• cones.JPG
    cones.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 206
  • cones2.JPG
    cones2.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 235

John,

Those cones are looking great! That's alot of work!

Re: My Suzi T500 Project (expansion chambers underway)

Killer man,your exhaust is coming out real nice. Can't wait to see it all finished!!

Hold the corner of the small end with pliers and roll the metal through the big end of the cone has to go faster than the small its a bitch but it works hear is the set i made for my dad

Attachments

• 2012-12-25 04.50.24.jpg
    2012-12-25 04.50.24.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 818

Nice job brad! I will try holding the small end with pliers I hadn't thought of that, good tip. The other cones were much easier I could hold it with my fingers.

dcracing said:
A slip roll, pair of vice grips, mandrel and plastic mallet and you're on your way. That's a whole bunch of welding there.

8)

Ok well I almost got the last two cones done using the vise grips as suggested by dcracing and brad (it worked well) then my new slip rolls expired!! The gear on the end of one of the rollers shattered. I will concentrate on getting all the other cones finished and assembled then get back to the two unfinished ones when I get a replacement set of rolls.

Attachments

• 2 cones.JPG
    2 cones.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 230
  • all cones.JPG
    all cones.JPG
    972.9 KB · Views: 212

what kinda sliproll?

Here is how I hold the seams on the cones together so I can tack them.

Attachments

• clamp.JPG
    clamp.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 223

Good call with the hose clamps.

Hey... By chance, would you happen to have another T500 crankshaft floating around?

Not to hijack but, Yon, I have an extra crank, I would have to check it out to see if it is okay. How soon do you need it?

Brian

VonYinzer said:
Good call with the hose clamps.

Hey... By chance, would you happen to have another T500 crankshaft floating around?

Sorry no T500 crank on the shelf!

Cones all tacked up. Now for a couple hours welding up the seams.

Attachments

• cones tack.JPG
    cones tack.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 236
Back
Top Bottom