CL350 sudden electrical failure

fluke12

Been Around the Block
After putting my engine back in and connecting everything, I was happy to find that my battery still has a good charge. My lights came on and everything seemed just fine until I pressed the starter button. The starter motor didn't turn but I could hear the solenoid click. So i connected the starter motor directly to the battery and it turned over, and sort of arced a little.

After that, when I tried connecting everything Back, no lights. Checked the fuse, still good. I'm assuming there is a short somewhere in the line.

When I test connectivity from battery connection to the negative side, I get no tone. I DO get a tone from battery connector to the outside of cylinder head/frame but only if my ignition is on so I'm assuming whatever my short is, it's after the ignition.

I guess I'm looking for any help to pinpoint the problem. Electrics are not really my thing. I know it's pretty impossible to sort it out without being here in person.

Thanks.

Doesn't sound like a short, sounds like an open....something disconnected somewhere? Broken wire?

I'll see what I can track down. Does it sound right that it would be after the ignition switch?

fluke12 said:
I'll see what I can track down. Does it sound right that it would be after the ignition switch?

Take a voltmeter. Start at the battery (+) and work your way through the circuit. Check for Volt's in at the ignition switch (red wire) check for volts out (black and brown)... Follow the schematic for each area. If electric was water, you would follow it to the puddle/leak. But since we can't follow it until there is no electric....

As Sonreir said, what isn't working will give you an idea of what circuit may be the problem. The ignition switch is a good place to start...12V in, 12V out. If in is missing, it is between the battery and switch. If only out is missing, it is likely the switch.

Back
Top Bottom