Reducing the gloss on 2 part 2k urethane clearcoat

koolio

Been Around the Block
I find the clearcoat finish for urethane 2 part is very very glossy, great for cars not so much for older bikes.

I was more after a low gloss or semi-gloss finish, something like a classic enamel black finish with a deep lustre, trouble is I keep coming up with satin when I search for this.

Anyone know of a clearcoat that isn't so glossy or a flattening agent that can marginally reduce the glossiness?

You can buy matte clear coat. I get it by the quart or gallon from an auto paint store where I live.

add talc (baby powder) until you get the sheen you want. spray through panty hose to avoid clumps getting on surface.

J-Rod10 said:
You can buy matte clear coat. I get it by the quart or gallon from an auto paint store where I live.

Yes but that's exactly what I don't want... I want a semi-gloss, not satin and not matte..

add talc (baby powder) until you get the sheen you want. spray through panty hose to avoid clumps getting on surface.

Are you serious? How exactly do i do this.

Encabulator said:
Yes but that's exactly what I don't want... I want a semi-gloss, not satin and not matte..

Are you serious? How exactly do i do this.
Hot Rodders have been doing this for years. Flatteners for clears are talc in suspension.
Literally just mix the talc with the mixed clear and shoot test panels. Allow to dry and adjust the amount.
Baby powder has other ingredients added to the talc, anti-clumping agents, deodorizers, etc. Should not affect the paint's longevity or quality. Plus smells great when you wet sand!

8111870 said:
Hot Rodders have been doing this for years. Flatteners for clears are talc in suspension.
Literally just mix the talc with the mixed clear and shoot test panels. Allow to dry and adjust the amount.
Baby powder has other ingredients added to the talc, anti-clumping agents, deodorizers, etc. Should not affect the paint's longevity or quality. Plus smells great when you wet sand!

Thank you very much for this. I still want the gloss just not super shiny gloss, any idea what amount/volume/ratio I'd need to use?

8111870 said:

I've just done this on my cb900. You get a 'matting base' you add to your 2K clear to alter the gloss level. I went with a 1:1 mix because I wanted a satin finish and it worked well. You would need to start with a low matting amount to knock the edge off your gloss, but would need to test it obviously.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=62218.15

last pic on the page. I went over the decals with the normal gloss urethane.

cheers
ian

When I got my base put into rattle cans and the 2K clear, they said you can go with a mix in one can that comes out less glossy. I don't remember the details, since I wasn't interested, but your local automotive paint supplier can lead you.

BikeBoy is correct. You only need to add a flattening agent to the clear. Talc may have worked great with lacquer clears, but I would not recommend doing that with a 2K. Flattening agent is cheap and you should be able to get it from where ever you bought your clear.

High On Octane said:
BikeBoy is correct. You only need to add a flattening agent to the clear. Talc may have worked great with lacquer clears, but I would not recommend doing that with a 2K. Flattening agent is cheap and you should be able to get it from where ever you bought your clear.

Like i said, flattening agents are basically Talc (magnesium silicate) in suspension. OP said he just wanted to knock a bit of the shine off. Lacquer, 2k, makes no difference.
Why spend another $60 on something you use a 1/10 of and never touch again? My two cents.

Back
Top Bottom