SR500 RACE BIKE - Tracy body kit - Survivor - Ohio

Not much to add, just waiting on parts. Bought some tank cleaner to sort the rust and snagged some brake lines to get that going. If all goes well, I'll take her around the block before tear down.

While we wait, take a look at this custom Grinch flavored carb guts.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20181206_171819.jpg
    MVIMG_20181206_171819.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 201
  • MVIMG_20181206_171827_1.jpg
    MVIMG_20181206_171827_1.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 202
Two things I can tell you with this carb:

1) this isn't the stock carb (but I guess you figured that out already) - would be interesting to see if it's a 36 or 38mm
2) This has not been run on alky as otherwise the mainjet would be VASTLY bigger.

You know, I meant to measure the carb while I had it out. I was curious as well. I still have to pull it and give it a proper scrub so I'm sure I'll put the calipers to it. I was just amazed at how green the bowl was. It blew my mind.

i wonder why it has the remains of a power jet on it? might be left over from a 2 stroke applicaton

That "power jet" was apparently connected to an aftermarket accelerator pump.

Chem dipped the shit out of the carb, rear master(which was frozen) and the petcock (which was ALSO frozen). They cleaned up pretty well and hopefully I won't have to buy a new petcock.

Bought a Kreem tank liner kit to clean and line the rusty tank. However, after letting the acid sit overnight, I drained it and it was the water ran out clear! Righteously confused, I rinsed the tank out and put a magnet to it and found out it isn't metal! The tank has a steel fuel bung but the whole tank is fiberglass. I'll post a picture so you can see for yourselves.

Also, I found out the mikuni is a 36mm. I was really pulling for a 38mm. Bummer.

Attachments

• IMG_20181214_172047.jpg
    IMG_20181214_172047.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 199
  • MVIMG_20181214_172013.jpg
    MVIMG_20181214_172013.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 205
you may want to coat the tank anyway as the ethanol now in fuel will wreak havoc on that gas tank. the Caswell kit is a special type of epoxy. I have lined two tanks with it and it is good stuff.

Agree. The tank will need to be washed out to get a clean surface for the Caswell kit to bond to. I did a glass tank with Caswell and IIRC I flushed it out with acetone.

I had a Norton Commando in the shop a while back with bent valves caused by the resin leaching out of his glass tank into the fuel supply and coating the valve stems with a nice sticky glue. Ethanol in fuel is a problem for old school glass tanks.

And Kreem, as PIDJones said is horrible stuff. You would be picking that out of the whole fuel system for years to come.

Guys, I agree, I frigging hate Kreem. I've had nothing but bad experience with it, BUT, I didn't know there was another option! I've tried redkote as well and wasn't a fan of that either.

At any rate, thanks for the suggestion boys! I'll give that epoxy a go.

Can anyone give me a lesson on SR500 rear master cylinders? Mine was frozen so I pulled it apart, cleaned it up but as expected, it's leaking still. However, to my surprise, rebuild kits and especially new master cylinders are like hens teeth! The ONLY rebuild kit I could find was $250 on eBay!

Anyone have some suggestions? Will an xs650 rebuild kit work? It looks pretty similar. Also, I think my MC is leaking from the cap. It looks in relatively good shape but I could hear pressure escaping. Anyone have a clever fix, or an old cap laying around?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20181216_161303.jpg
    IMG_20181216_161303.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 214
  • MVIMG_20181216_161457.jpg
    MVIMG_20181216_161457.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 204
Just a warning that if you get a China-origin MC, pull it apart, clean it up, and reassemble with brake fluid to lubricate everything. Two I've had so far (a front and a rear - one direct and one from US vendor) were both filthy and improperly assembled. Worked Ok after rebuild and correction. Good news is that new snap rings come out a LOT easier than old rusted ones!
And honestly, if this is a performance bike don't EVER put ethanol fuel in it. I use just non-ethanol gas treated with Stabil in all of my carbureted engines.

pidjones said:
Just a warning that if you get a China-origin MC, pull it apart, clean it up, and reassemble with brake fluid to lubricate everything

I wouldn't mind a repop Chinese MC. I haven't been able to find one. Have a link?

This kit is supposed to be a match to rebuild the stock m/c.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/2400656/master-cylinder-rebuild-kit?avad=55963_e142503f9&Siteid=AvantLink_41227-55963-NA&utm_source=avantlink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=41227

Back
Top Bottom