1980 CB650C Questions

hecklejk

Been Around the Block
Hey guys, I have a chance to buy a 1980 CB650 C for cheap... only problem is that it is missing the Carbs and Tank. I have been looking on ebay and cant find any carbs for this bike anyone out there have any or know of something else that will work?? I have found a CB500t tank on ebay, will that fit the 650 without much modification??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Kevin

Theres a bodge option for most things out there. I'd buy the thing and do it up in a second if it really is 'cheap'.

Just out of curiosity, what're they asking?

- boingk

boingk said:
Theres a bodge option for most things out there. I'd buy the thing and do it up in a second if it really is 'cheap'.

Just out of curiosity, what're they asking?

- boingk

well its a deal another do the tonner hooked me up with... guy wants $100 for it but its missing the tank and carbs... hinse the original question... I have found out that I can use 750 or 550 carbs but not sure on what years I can use.

I have the CB550 Nighthawk carbs in the sale forum.

If anyone out there knows if they will fit just let Heckle know.

A hundred for it minus the tank and carbs is a pretty decent buy I'd say. Now begins the scrounging associated with all cafe builds, good luck!

Cheers - boingk

hecklejk said:
Hey guys, I have a chance to buy a 1980 CB650 C for cheap... only problem is that it is missing the Carbs and Tank. I have been looking on ebay and cant find any carbs for this bike anyone out there have any or know of something else that will work?? I have found a CB500t tank on ebay, will that fit the 650 without much modification??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Kevin

Cb500, 550 750 tanks will all fit, as well you can use later year carbs from the 550 and 750, if you use the CV carbs you'll need a petcock to match. If you are really unsure, just measure the center to center of the carbs.

Jay

jay_kent said:
Cb500, 550 750 tanks will all fit, as well you can use later year carbs from the 550 and 750, if you use the CV carbs you'll need a petcock to match. If you are really unsure, just measure the center to center of the carbs.

Jay

Thanks Jay,

I think we have spoken in PM about the carbs, but I couldnt remember exactly.. I found a really nice 75-76 550t tank on ebay that has the factory knee dents, so I think I will be going with that.

What do you mean by CV carbs? and what type of petcock do I need for those?

Cheers,
Kevin

CV carbs have a diaphram in them and a butterfly valve in the throat that controls the air going into the carburettor. They don't have a slide like regular carburettors, or a cable coming from the top as they are vacuum operated. They are supposed to give better fuel metering and atomisation, resulting in perhaps an extra horse or two over standard carbies and a tad better fuel economy.

You need to run a vacuum operated petcock with CV carburettors or they will flood your engine as they suck the fuel in via vacuum operation.

Cheers - boingk

Back
Top Bottom