77 CJ360. "Sadie"

JakubAnton

1977 Honda CJ360T - - - - 2012 Suzuki TU250 - - -
This is my first build.

Here's what I started with, the day it I brought it home.
IMG_2932.jpg

I posted in the "special" section mostly so I don't get a lot of "Hey man that bike isn't really a whatever style-" comments from other people. This is because I'm sure my project won't fit into any specific category besides whatever a 25 year old on my budget/ know-how can afford/ do. Anyways. I showed the picture of what I am planning on doing, and since I'm going through the trouble of posting this long first, I'll let the pictures do the talking from now on.

On minor note / major color change: I am going to kind of model the bikes color and look a bit from my truck.

mypicture.jpg

That blue should be very nice indeed.

I moved my bike to where it will be stationed for the next couple months on Monday, taking one last pretty ride through town on my way back from lunch Monday.

photo1.jpg

That evening I got her up on the stand and the exhaust off.

photo2.jpg

This is where we're at right now.

photo3.jpg

Progress... so I'll keep going and hopefully see more on here sooner than later....

In advance I'll apologize for updating only every now and then when I get the chance. Life is crazy busy, as I'm sure it is for most you guys reading this.

Re: 77 CJ360. "Sadie"

Thanks, it definitely was a steal to find. Very clean and ran pretty smooth from the moment I got her.

Here's progress as of tonight.

photo2-1.jpg

I did run into a bit of a question though, and through looking all over the manual and these forums, I have yet to find the solution to my problem. Maybe any of the 360 gurus out there (pj?) can help me out with this one...

After I took the clutch cover off, theres a ground wire coming from the stator; its connected to some odd point that isn't a screw like I thought at first glance. But its not. And I am stuck on how to disconnect it so that I can reconnect it without just cutting and re- soldering...

This guy right here.

photo1-1.jpg

Any advice?

That, sir... is your Neutral indicator switch. When the bike's in neutral it turns the little green light on your speedo on.

By the looks of the picture, remove those two 10mm bolts above the sprocket, remove the chain guard and the switch should come out with it!

The wire is held in place through a hole in the post by a round washer on a spring, simply push the washer back towards the case and pull the wire out to the left. Clean and simple.

There may be a rubber O-ring around the switch as well... make sure everything is SUPER clean before re-installing it as it goes directly into the transmission... and replace the O-ring if you can...

Also, if you're going to power-wash or use a chemical cleaner on the motor in any-way, re-install that switch with the chain guard to prevent any unwanted contaminants from entering the motor!

Good luck! Looks like a fun build!

Many thanks Danny! worked perfectly... Your advice is appreciated! 8)

After tonight I have another round of questions; if anyone can help a brother out, it'd be awesome.

I'm looking to take the rear wheel off, and while going about this, looking at the chain, it doesn't look like there is a master link anywhere on there... Is this how all the factory installed chains were? I mean, <i>sans</i> master-link? Just cause one of those would make taking the chain off all the easier... Also, I was just about to hunting for a new chain, I've found a couple on ebay and amazon around, but I was wondering if anyone around here had any experience with that, or any place in particular where as to find a new reliable chain?

hopefully the next update wont be so much me asking questions as much as me showing off photos... :p

There has to be a link some where, if not then just grind the heads off one of the links and knock the pins out. Did you look at the back side of the chain?

Stay away from O-ring chains, they are wider and can possibly damage the clutch actuator under the sprocket cover.

That has to be one of the cleanest 360's i have seen in a long time. Suggestion: Clean it up, service it and ride the heck out of it.

So I got all the engine casings off, tomorrow they are going down the street to our metal guy to get shined up real good. :D

A new set of CL speedo and tach rings came in today to replace the dented one on mine.

photo1-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

I don't know how you dent just this part without hurting anything else, but the previous owner apparent "hit a sign" or something... I forget exactly what he said.

Also, here is a picture of my oil leak...

photo3-1.jpg

As you can see, its on the left side, it looks like it could be just below the head gasket... this I hope is not the case, but has anybody had a leak like this on their 360? Or know the source? I was looking to not completely disassemble the engine so... heres hoping its not too bad. time will tell...

photo4.jpg

heres another angle....

thanks anybody and everybody for the replies.

ps thanks frogman, i was looking at the x ring, good call...

Looks like just filth man, maybe pull the valve cover and re-torque the head nuts. A leaking exhaust can do that if you run in water a bit. Top end gasket kits are all over eBay and worth the the time IMHO if you think you need to rebuild something. I'd leave the engine intact if everything is operating correctly though.

Keep it up! That's a pristine rig if you ask me.

Just bout finished with tearin it down. I sent all the engine casing out to be polished by my friend who has a metal shop down the street. This is where I'm at now
f4ee1ec0.jpg

Theres parts all over the place...

bf22d6ea.jpg

I started to disassemble the tach and speedo last night, got the plastic cut very clean on them so they came apart fairly easy. I replaced the lightbulbs with LEDs and they are looking sick. I had some gauge faces made by sonreir, but the blue writing on black was too dark...
88e71c5c.jpg

So a set of stocks with the white numbers are on their way today... Thanks Matt!

But upon changing the bulbs in the tachometer, I noticed a lack of light source for the turn signal indicator light on the gauge face... And I can seem to either remember where the bulb is/ was, or if there was even a light there to begin with... In sure there was something because I remember seeing the idiot light blinking after I had left my blinker on before...
This is the guy..
a8ba0b0a.jpg

If you look down the shaft for the nuetral light, there's a bulb there. Also the middle socket for lighting the housing unit, but no third bulb in the shaft for the turn signal inidicator... And from beneath: no help either...

24bd655d.jpg

How is this possible? There's no wire running to it, not bulb, no slot in the. Broke exterior ring that covers the back.... Nothing.
Anybody know what's up? Or can possibly take a picture of their 360 tach disassembled?

I even took pictures and notes I every connection I've disconnected, and nada, nothing.. I'm at a loss, and not that I particularly need the indicator light to tell me she. My blinkers are on, but you know, it'd be nice... Thanks for any help dudes.

Hey man,

There should be an orange wire and a blue wire that connect to the bulb for the turn signal indicators. I can't remember 100% how mine looks, but you're welcome to it if you want it. I'm not using it.

Sorry to hear the blue on black didn't work out as hoped, but there's a trick you can try if you're still interested in giving them a go. Basically, just paint the inside of your gauge casings in gloss white (avoiding the transparent plastic face, of course). This causes the light to reflect internally to a much higher degree and significantly brightens up your gauges. This is even more effective if you decide to replace those old incandescent bulbs with some white LEDs.

Got some updates so heres a quick rundown of how things are going. It's been 3 weeks since the last post and I swear it feels like yesterday.

Feeling like I had not been making much visual progress, I decided to work on some of the smaller bits and pieces. After I sent all the engine casings to my friend Glen down the street who does metal work, I painted up both the front foot pegs, shifter, and headlight bucket.

15707b12.jpg

Done-zo and...

f290c62f.jpg

Done-zo.

Also, the rear fender is now cut, the edge is a bit sharp, but damn it looks so much better.

69362e5a.jpg

b1f26ff0.jpg

As you can see in the background, it friggin beautiful outside, and its killing me (and my wallet) that I am driving around my gas guzzler.

Finally, I got the stubborn plastic bushing out of the swing arm and replaced them with the new bronze bushings, fits like a glove.

db31e4ac.jpg

That's all the photos I have taken, but I have also finished the speedometer and tachometer, (Thanks for the new one matt) when I remember at night to photograph them, I will upload, I must say I'm quite pleased with the blue LED glow.
I'll post more progress as it happens. I can't wait to get this thing going.

This past weekend has been busy. I got a lot more of the little stuff done. I took some pictures so here goes.

tank lid
IMG_3462.jpg

rear fender
IMG_3463.jpg

speedo
IMG_3468.jpg

tach
IMG_3469.jpg

headlight
IMG_3471.jpg

IMG_3473.jpg

killswitch
IMG_3474.jpg

headlight bucket and fork brace
IMG_3475.jpg

IMG_3476.jpg

getting ready for a spray

thoughts?...

Another busy weekend. The two main things that are still on my to do list are the tank and cowl paint, and the seat shape and upholstery... But here are some pictures of what the weekend brought.

Drilled my bars out.
ffbd0514.jpg

the first cover is done.
8794590c.jpg

A bit of painting.
7db73606.jpg

9d8a3e76.jpg

64a7dddc.jpg

Moving right along, trying to get as much done as possible in the time I have not working. Seeing all these bikes in town for bike week is also lighting a fire under my ass to get this damn thing going. But I did have time to transfer the boat from the garage to the dock for the summer, so I'll have her red carpet rolled out in her parking space when she is finally all ready...

Back
Top Bottom