XS 650 Street Tracker Mod-Style

Ease said:
I wanna hear it running... er I wanna ride it! Looks awesome!

Thanks for the compliment, It sounds great only been able to run it a couple of times due to weather. I will try and take a video of it running soon.

It's designed for sliding about, get dressed up and ride it, stop blaming the weather ;D

Just thought this would work here...

http://www.cheneyengineering.com/index.shtml

Nominated for botm ;) so ahh go do us proud and put another feather in yamaha's cap

Wow, that's unreal! The best part is that it looks like it could be a stock yamaha..... You'll have a lot of people asking if its a new model that's just came out!

Re: Re: XS 650 Street Tracker Mod-Style

john83 said:
Very nicely executed. Great looking result.

I agree. A very well executed build. Step by step good choices were made and battled.

I'm normally am a big fan of the yellow lighting (had it on my first yz) but you picked the right blue to pull it off.

Few questions. Who did the paint? Are the stripes paint or vinyl? No numbers? Xs650 's benefit from power bombs mid pipe?

Re: Re: XS 650 Street Tracker Mod-Style

HollywoodMX said:
I agree. A very well executed build. Step by step good choices were made and battled.

I'm normally am a big fan of the yellow lighting (had it on my first yz) but you picked the right blue to pull it off.

Few questions. Who did the paint? Are the stripes paint or vinyl? No numbers? Xs650 's benefit from power bombs mid pipe?
I was on the fence about painting the bike yellow or blue, but decided on blue for 2 reasons one is the more modern styling that I chose and 2 is there are so many yellow trackers that have been done already. I have to say the pics don't do this blue paint justice it looks so much better in person. I had a friend of mine do the paint. I actually laid out the Yamaha stripes and painted them myself, but he did the rest. The YAMAHA lettering on the tank is a graphic. I may do a graphic number on the side panel still not sure though.
Unfortunately I have only been able to do a couple of short test rides because of the weather here, so I still need to dial it in somewhat. I am not 100% sure if the powerbombs make a huge difference, But the bike pulls really well and has good response.
I've seen your TR1 build. Just started my XV920R build so I'm sure I will be over at your thread soon asking some questions.

Re: Re: Re: XS 650 Street Tracker Mod-Style

JAGspeed said:
I was on the fence about painting the bike yellow or blue, but decided on blue for 2 reasons one is the more modern styling that I chose and 2 is there are so many yellow trackers that have been done already. I have to say the pics don't do this blue paint justice it looks so much better in person. I had a friend of mine do the paint. I actually laid out the Yamaha stripes and painted them myself, but he did the rest. The YAMAHA lettering on the tank is a graphic. I may do a graphic number on the side panel still not sure though.
Unfortunately I have only been able to do a couple of short test rides because of the weather here, so I still need to dial it in somewhat. I am not 100% sure if the powerbombs make a huge difference, But the bike pulls really well and has good response.
I've seen your TR1 build. Just started my XV920R build so I'm sure I will be over at your thread soon asking some questions.

Ya no problem hit me up any time.

So what made you go with power bombs to begin with? I'm just curious because I have never seen one on a street build before and I'm interested in exhaust tech. Did you use any torque inserts? I know that's popular with the xs650 crowd.

Re: Re: Re: XS 650 Street Tracker Mod-Style

HollywoodMX said:
Ya no problem hit me up any time.

So what made you go with power bombs to begin with? I'm just curious because I have never seen one on a street build before and I'm interested in exhaust tech. Did you use any torque inserts? I know that's popular with the xs650 crowd.
I have used FMF power bomb pipes on my motocross bike and really liked them. The thing that gave me the initial idea is the material I used to build the pipe. I used a CBR1000RR head pipe for most of my bends. If you look at the CBR head pipe you can see where Honda used 2 power bomb looking pieces in the pipe. (page 1 of this thread). FMF claims it gives there pipe 10% better flow. The only way I could know for sure would be to build an identical set pipes and dyno both, so I'm just going to trust that the technology is working for me.
I have not tried any torque insert yet. I do have plans to tear down this engine in the future and do a big bore, cam, porting and rephase, but for now I am just going to ride it and have some fun so I can spend some time on the XV build.

This... " looks like it could be a stock Yamaha" is really the best complement, Yamaha would of sold many.

Bravo!

RD :eek:

I want to see it sideways in the dirt. ;D
If Yamaha did that as a stocker it would have probably been Yellow, but that Blue is nice.

Yamaha used a variety of colours on dirt bikes, Blue was one of them (and White, Red, Black as well as Yellow)

crazypj said:
Yamaha used a variety of colours on dirt bikes, Blue was one of them (and White, Red, Black as well as Yellow)

I don't think Yamaha other than limited addition has had a yellow black hurricane since the late 80's, Motocross has been Blue and white for a long time, the last yellow YZ I had was an 83 and then they were red and white for a while.

RD :eek:

crazypj said:
YZ490's were red and white ;)
It is a 1970's~80's bike ;D

Not that early, the 70's -81-82 were still yellow black.

81 490: White Brothers swing arm was the shit back then.

Attachments

• 81 YZ490.JPG
    81 YZ490.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,505
Back
Top Bottom