Doing Research For Tracker Build Using Kawi Ninja 650 (Probably)

farmer92 said:
Any reason for sticking with a four stroke?
Plenty of fun 2 stroke twins also

I already have a two stroke, my boy doesn't want one!

Attachments

• Finish 5 small.jpg
    Finish 5 small.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 361
This is a teaching opportunity.

Build the boy a bad ass smoke show. And, tell him 'You don't always get what you want, you get what you need.'

J-Rod10 said:
This is a teaching opportunity.

Build the boy a bad ass smoke show. And, tell him 'You don't always get what you want, you get what you need.'
;D

Ok I'm watching a kz750 right now it's a 1978 with spoked wheels and disc front and rear so I think I could lace up 19" rims to those hubs :) Does anyone know if the geometry is the same for all the kz750 models, the one I'm looking at has a cruiser look to it?
I found this as inspiration for the kz!

Attachments

• kawasaki-z750b-2.jpg
    kawasaki-z750b-2.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 874
small difference to the passenger pegs, and brackets over the years.
81+ have lower sub frame top rails for the cruiser seat. I think the 76-79 were the "sportiest" the biggest differences are

'76-'79 - 26.5 rake 105mm trail
'80 - 27 rake 110 trail
'81+ - 28.5 rake 112 trail

but those numbers also could have been manipulated by the wheel and fork changes they did so who knows.

I think the biggest bummer about the kz750 twin is the limited aftermarket support for the motors. There is some but not alot of options. No pistons.

doc_rot said:
I think the biggest bummer about the kz750 twin is the limited aftermarket support for the motors. There is some but not alot of options. No pistons.
Yes that's the biggest issue for sure!

farmer92 said:
For shame John,
A banshee/rz powered flat tracker would be the tits.
c6c96c7830893be85d049766645aa274.jpg

Nice TZ based tracker. That's a full on TZ race motor with dry clutch and it's a TZ radiator as well. I can't tell what the pipes are but the mufflers appear to be Swarbrick. Sweet. Almost as sweet as JohnU's T500.

johnu said:
Ok I'm watching a kz750 right now it's a 1978 with spoked wheels and disc front and rear so I think I could lace up 19" rims to those hubs :) Does anyone know if the geometry is the same for all the kz750 models, the one I'm looking at has a cruiser look to it?
I found this as inspiration for the kz!

Yes, later years for those were all Ltd style. 76-79 was a more standard geometry. I dig these bikes. That inspiration pic of the kz is stunning.

doc_rot said:
small difference to the passenger pegs, and brackets over the years.
81+ have lower sub frame top rails for the cruiser seat. I think the 76-79 were the "sportiest" the biggest differences are

'76-'79 - 26.5 rake 105mm trail
'80 - 27 rake 110 trail
'81+ - 28.5 rake 112 trail

but those numbers also could have been manipulated by the wheel and fork changes they did so who knows.
Thanks!
You're right the frames could be the same, using longer forks would changed the numbers!

So no luck with the bike I was looking at but I am going to try to find a 1978 kz750, I think it will be the best option. I can use the stock hubs and lace 19's to them, the frame would need minimal mods to it also. I would change the forks and shocks for sure, make my own pipes and foot controls. Leave the engine stock for starters, this will be my boys first street bike (he has raced a lot of supermoto though). I will source a tank and seat unit or make my own if needed. Biggest hurdle is the weight....475lb :eek: I would hope I can shave off at least 75lb and maybe more!
So now the search begins for a bike in California for less then $1500.

Cool! I am a fan of the kz750 because I like underdogs I guess and apparently these are really underrated motors because of a lame factory ignition and lean jetting from the factory which can both be rectified. I'm close to finishing mine can't wait to ride it.

doc_rot said:
Cool! I am a fan of the kz750 because I like underdogs I guess and apparently these are really underrated motors because of a lame factory ignition and lean jetting from the factory which can both be rectified. I'm close to finishing mine can't wait to ride it.
Link to your build please!

lol, link to the build is in my signature below, Canyoncarver has a kz750 project of his own, link is in his sig.

johnu said:
Thanks for all the help so far :) I keep thinking about the wheels and I wonder if I could use MX hubs laced to 19" rims? Only issue I see there is it would have to be single disc on the front.

You could probably bolt a Kawasaki MX rear wheel in, they have 19" rims stock (although rim is a bit narrow for tracker) There are tons of spoke wheel front hubs available, many from dual sport or 'adventure' bikes will have 'correct' diameter and width. May need to change bearings , custom spacers will almost certainly be needed whatever hub you use. If you find forks your going to use you can look at other manufacturers using same axle diameter/fork

doc_rot said:

Bigger issue for any type of 'off road', KZ750 motor runs 'backwards'
It was designed that way to help prevent wheelies
They do have a lot of torque though, much more noticeable than an XS650

Interesting. I knew the kz750 spun the opposite way,so do the kz400/440. I assumed this had to do with the counter balancer setup. Out of curiosity how would this prevent wheelies? With the crank spinning counter clockwise (when viewed from the right side) wouldn't that be more likely to bring the front end up? Why would that be bad for an off-road bike?

Back
Top Bottom