Electrical mess

Pigpen28

I have 78 honda cb400 hawk 2. The guy i got it from must have been a few quarters short of a dollar... but anyway. The problem I'm running into is i got rid of the stock headlight bucket and installed a led light bar. (Works great). I'm not getting power to the bar and i have running lights only, I keep popping fuses left and right the only thing that i can think of is that i must have a short some where in the harness or lack there of sine my bike does not have a dash cluster, turn signals, etc. would it be worth it if i purchased a NOS or used wiring harness off of eBay? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Blown fuse is almost always a short, yes. Check to make sure that all wires except for dark green have no exposed metal on their connectors. Also check to make sure no wires are plugged into a dark green wire except for other dark green wires.

Sonreir™ said:
Blown fuse is almost always a short, yes. Check to make sure that all wires except for dark green have no exposed metal on their connectors. Also check to make sure no wires are plugged into a dark green wire except for other dark green wires.

Here is what the red junction looks like. I'm going to assume that the three wires that are folde over and taped are for the dash cluster and i shoul just cap them off. They might be what is grounding out and causing the fusses to pop....... (got to love buying someone else's project)

Attachments

• IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 245
That white wire is for the low beam. The bare copper that's exposed would definitely cause a fuse to blow.

Also, it might be useful to know which fuse is the one that's popping.

Sonreir™ said:
That white wire is for the low beam. The bare copper that's exposed would definitely cause a fuse to blow.

Also, it might be useful to know which fuse is the one that's popping.

The use for the headlight is popping. The main fuse is a 15 amp and the headlight and the taillight are both 7 amps.

After many trials and errors i have decided to take a jump into the pool of rewiring the whole bike. Hopefully its not as hard as everyone tells me

Back
Top Bottom