Project Shinjimei- 73 TX500

two-smoker

I reject your reality, and substitute my own!
So I found a deal I couldn't pass up- THREE XS500's for $500! Only one is titled and running (sorta), but it's better than none, yeah? I'll post pics as soon as I take some..... I have to actually pick the bikes up first... AND find someplace to keep them/work on the one. I probably shouldn't have bought them, but too late now! As an aside- If anyone needs parts, I'll let the parts bikes go for NOTHING if you come get them. Well... Once I get mine road-worthy. Wish me luck!

Re: My new project!

I'm in Milwaukee. Prolly won't get to taking any pics til Monday when I pick up the bikes..... Gotta get a U-haul, and a place to store/repair them...

Do you have at least one title so you can put one back on the road?

Ohh yeah, I wouldn't have bothered otherwise. One bike is titled and runs off starting fluid. Carbs are junk. One which is missing a tank (used to be purple. Cool color) has only 6600 miles on it.(correction- 9860. This is the motor I used the head off of to repair my runner. TS) So I'll see if there's anything wrong with that engine and try to use it rather than the engine that's in the titled bike. That one looks like it might have the obligatory cracked head.

Pics!
SANY0008.jpg
SANY0009.jpg
SANY0010.jpg

Good get man!
Those 500s are a pretty under rated scoot. Theyre not the simplist things out there, but you can build some really awesome bikes from them.
The frames are perfect for cafe styling, and the early square tanks look the business.
Plenty of power, and they handle pretty nicely with some suspension upgrades as well. I have seen some info floating around on engine modifications for them that can produce some pretty amazing numbers for a 500.
All in all, you really scored T.S.
No get to work!!!! :mad:

looks like a steal. Did the PO tell you why he had 3 of them? Maybe he had an issue with bike #1 and bought a couple of others for spares.

With 3, you should be able to get one good bike out of it and maybe a second. Good catch

He never really tried to do any serious work.... The Black one and the Red one were a package deal, and he picked up the purple one (with no tank) later. He's kinda of a "junk man". Had a shit-ton of bikes and parts. An old Bridgestone, a 400 Silverwing directly imported from Japan (with title), an XS850 Midnight Special, a DOHC 750 Honda, and an old 550 Honda which was all hacked up. Sporty tank, tractor seat, welded-on solid struts.... He really wanted me to buy something else from him. I guess that's just what he does. I guess he's got another property full of bikes, too.
Oh, and the "runner" is REALLY ratty. I think I'm just going to strip the frame clean and start over with the good parts off the other two bikes. The purple one has really low miles on it, and was stored in a heated basement.

Just an idea I'm play
xs500highpipes.jpg
ing with for exhaust- found this bike on Ebay:

Also part of "the Plan" :
mv1753.jpg

edit: I had wanted to do a bike with a dustbin fairing for some time. This bike just isn't it. Maybe if I do my FZ600/Seca turbo hybrid with the turbo above the motor, that will be the right bike for it. I keep imagining having the exhaust exit right out the side of the fairing like an old fighter plane...

Took a minute today to look some things over, and found out the titled bike is actually a '73 TX500, the black parts bike is a '74, and the purple one is also a '73 TX500. Damn shame none have the automatic camchain tensioner..... I'm not real pleased with that fact. And I HATE breaker points, but can't find an electronic conversion for these bikes anywhere. i assume nobody makes one.
Also- I can't find a Manual either! I'd really like to have a book for reference before I do anything in earnest. edit: got one now! Lol. The last thing i want to do is start tearing into the motor and find out i can't put it back together....
If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-500-TWIN-TX-XS-500-73-HAYNES-MANUAL-BOOK-/250739657938?pt=UK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET&hash=item3a613f8cd2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHILTONS-YAMAHA-XS1-TX650-TX750-TX500-Service-Manual-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255f24023cQQitemZ160509985340QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

Best I can find in a quick search. Call your local Yammy dealer and ask if they can get you a factory repair manual. It wont be cheap, but Im sure they can. The Chilton book is pretty spot on though.

As far as elec ign. there was a recent post somewhere on the site about a company that makes them. They are discontinued, but will be available in the next couple months I believe. Try doing a search, im too lazy, sorry. ha ha

Thanks, VonYinzer, I did find newtronic and yes, they did discontinue the TX500/XS500 unit.

nice find,I might have a pdf manual gotta search . Could you help a brother out with two front caliper bolts?

Check the post about manuals by kodiak in the manuals section he provides a link to just about every manual out there.

Also, check mikesxs.com about the ignition. if they don't have anything online give them a call.

White orbs, shouldn't be a problem, assuming I have more than one set. Diesel 450, thanks, I didn't know Jake had those, I'll hit him up.

I picked up one of these a few months back. Got her running, and first thing I would tell you to do is ADJUST THE VALVES!!!! I was even told by the "older" mechanics that you should adjust them a tad higher than the books say. I've got a set of handlebars in perfect condition if you want em. Here's what the old gal looked like when I sold her with a busted head gasket... :'(

Attachments

• Basket2small.JPG
    Basket2small.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 635

Yeah, I've read up enough to know that these things are known for certain..... character flaws. I already know my runner has a cracked head, but with a low-mileage spare motor, no worries. Once I find a manual to explain how to do it, first order of business is a valve adjustment and oil change. Then, clip-ons!

Very cool. I went with the drag bars, I am very curious to see what it would look like with a set of Clip-ons. I bet its going to look awesome.

Back
Top Bottom