'71 cb175 take 3!

Re: '71 cb175 take 2!

If you stretch a swingarm between the shock mounts and the axle, the height will remain the same unless the swingarm droop is excessive. If it's zero droop there will be no difference (static). Modern bikes tend to have some rear end droop as stock but old bikes used to be neutral - so no change.

Small update. Got the frame back frm paint and just about all back together. Waiting on new headlight brackets and cable ends/barrels. then we'll be good to go!

Getting closer

Attachments

• 20150622_142337.jpg
    20150622_142337.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 213
  • 20150622_142337.jpg
    20150622_142337.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 237

Bikes looks great! Is the shifter set up just for now or is that how you plan on keeping it?

Fr_Gus said:
Bikes looks great! Is the shifter set up just for now or is that how you plan on keeping it?

Poor man's rearset! At first is was just a "Hey I wonder how that'd work", but I've gotten so used to it I see no reason to change it at this point.

As I look at the photo I think I need to lower that headlight, just an inch or two should make a big difference.

Hey if it works why change it. I'm a poor man so i like the idea didn't think about doing that. What do you plan on doing on the other side with the rear brake?

jag767 said:
Poor man's rearset! At first is was just a "Hey I wonder how that'd work", but I've gotten so used to it I see no reason to change it at this point.

Not a 'Poor mans' rearset at all! Its a GP race set up with the gear lever reversed, this is so racers can change 'up' a gear by pressing down from above, very useful when cranked over in a lefthand bend ... if the foot has to go under the lever to change, ground clearance is sacrificed.

So I've put about 50 miles on the rebuild so far. The front end lowered and stiffer springs made a huge difference. It's 1.5 inches lower, and the springs were only cut an inch. Also, cutting my renthal bars and using them on my clip ons made for a much more comfortable riding position, and still kept a nice look. Overall I am very pleased with the 2nd attempt. Over the winter I will make a new seat but for now this one will do.

Somekind of fork brace would make a big difference to the steering, even if you simply cut up the front mudguard ... I was always taught that forks work best as a complete unit rather than two independent sides.

Erskine said:
Somekind of fork brace would make a big difference to the steering, even if you simply cut up the front mudguard ... I was always taught that forks work best as a complete unit rather than two independent sides.

I would have to make something that clamps on to the top of the lowers. If you look carefully all but 1 of the mounting points have been Removed.

Well engine has been giving me some trouble. Long story short, had to helicoil one of the spark plug holes, and replace the coil. Otherwise bike's been great. The volume of the exhaust finally got to me, ordered some longer/quieter mufflers, which was inevitable I suppose.

Got the new mufflers and they look so much better!

Attachments

• 20150703_151958.jpg
    20150703_151958.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 239
  • 20150703_152447.jpg
    20150703_152447.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20150703_152128.jpg
    IMG_20150703_152128.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 235

So I've been playing with fine tuning since I need to save some funds before I rebuild the 360 motor I have. Played with the carbs a bit and then had an idea with the new mufflers. I removed the packing, and wrapped the baffles in exhaust wrap, essentially making it just a straight long pipe. Yes it quite loud,, but I be damned there was a noticeable improvement in acceleration. Kinda cool I thought.

Re: '75 cb550 and '71 cb175 double build!

jag767 said:
Hmmm, says right in the clymer manual to apply on both sides of the gaskets.... head was torqued. The gaskets were hard as shit too which I know makes getting a good seal almost impossible. The gaps in the pistons rings weren't spaced correctly either, but no idea if that happened as I took it apart or not.
The only time the gaps in the rings are spaced correctly is when you put them there. As soon as the motor is running they are constantly rotating in their grooves. Spacing ring gaps is a wives tale that has been proven to not matter at all.

good to know... As luck would have it I was able to order a set of fork uppers today, so goodbye to the old cruddy ones. That was pretty much the only thing I wasnt able to change.

I really like the bike. But, to me its just screaming for a pair of nice chrome fenders. ;)

Probably make a world of difference in handling too.

trek97 said:
I really like the bike. But, to me its just screaming for a pair of nice chrome fenders. ;)

Probably make a world of difference in handling too.

Haha I just cant get into fenders on it. I really never go more than 50, and it rides amazing for what I ask from it so I'm happy. Even lowering the front end a little didn't make any appreciable difference at those low speeds, so the aesthetic won over the function on that as well. I was planning to change the seat to something more fitting but its really grown on me. Im honestly shocked I found someone who makes new forks for it. other than shortening the cables thats all I have left.

Back
Top Bottom