CX500 minor bob job - whooooot issues solved goes like a bat out of hell, for an old bike at least

Re: Cx500 minor bob job - Seat Ideas, making a cowl but not a cafe

Well just got shit for spot puty smelling up the house. I need to get a fan to put in a window to blow the smells out.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Putty in the bathroom and use the fart fan?

Swagger said:
Putty in the bathroom and use the fart fan?

Tried that once and it didn't work ;D I have a window in the shop part of the basement, I need to make a booth Like Joe has in his garage I can open up, paint, putty etc in and run a fan to exhaust the smells outside through a filter and keep the missus happy. I am just about to need to paint a bunch of parts and so I will have to come up with something.

try chloroform shell never notice the smell of the shop 8)

Brad Brad Brad....didn't anyone ever tell you it's not nice to ruffie the wifey? haha :eek:

Ha, sometimes you might feel like it, but it really isn't a good idea. I will figure it out, I got way to much crap to get painted too wait until I can do it outside. I got two fans that I saved from the heat-a-later fireplace that I can hook up to the window and put a filter on there to catch the overspray, that should do it.

No, it won't do it. Not even close. You have to move a lot of air to keep the fumes from spreading through the house.

ADC I should also have said I will built a booth around the window out of heavey poly and tuck tape all the seams to spray in, like a 10x10 area sealed with window as the exhaust port for the fumes. the fans are pretty decent CFMS, I don't rememer the exact specs but they were worth saving when I re-did the fireplace. Think that will be better?

Maritime

It might work if you have things pretty well enclosed. The thing you have to remember is that those fans are designed to move air at very low static pressures. Any restriction to free flow in open air dramatically reduces the volume of air that they move. You have to have some opening, of course, to allow replacement air to enter. Home Depot and Lowes carry stick-on zippers that you stick to 6 mil plastic sheeting to create a door. Works really well for dust or fume control.

I don't have a ventilation system for my spray room yet. I have a big-ass shop vac through a hole in the wall, and the exhaust of the vac is piped to the outside through a vent that used to be for a wood pellet stove. Works pretty well. the shop vac moves a large volume of air. I crack the door open into the spray room for fresh air to come in. Still, I have to wait for the air to clear between pieces.

Get a fume mask. 3M makes disposable painting masks with an exhaust valve and activated carbon. They reduce your exposure to the volatile chemicals substantially.

Cool. I have a shop vac, could use that sitting outside with a small hole near the floor oposite to the window for fresh air in. I have a respirator with the charcol for painting already so good to go there. As long as I remember to trim the goatee. forgot that once painting doors red and cleaning the paint out of the chin hair wasn't fun. I also have a bathroom ceiling fan I could install in the booth behind a filter, but not sure that would move the air as well as the shop vac.

Thanks for the zipper tip too. Wasn't sure what to do for sealing the door.

Well, no pics because not really worth it yet, but work has been done. I got the cowl to the point I need to do a glide coat and see all the spots I still missed after many hours sanding, filling, priming repeat. Leather came in to Maine on Friday and I think my wife is going over today and will pick it up, as well as Shamus's coils if the are there. So I can do up the seat soon. I got the frame wire wheeled and then to the car wash for a pressure washing, once it is dry I will mask it off and it will get a coat of hammered paint. Checked over the motor, all the spots under the coveres that would indicate a triple bybass may be needed came up ok, no dirty oil or bits of gunk etc. All spots had clean oil if they were supposed to, or no oil if they were not. So it is going to be above freezing all this week so I hope to get a booth set up in the garage to get some paint on the parts that need it so I can then build the table and begin the re-assembley and further mods if any. Should be a rider by late spring barring any disasters.

Cheers all.

Well, leather came. I got as far as making a template/pattern for the main seat area that will get the diamond treatment. Now I have enough to make 2 seat centers and the rest of the parts to put it together so I can attempt the diamonds once and if I fail misserably there is enough to do a plain one and or tuck and roll. We shall see tonight when I get to it.

Pics, not bad for $15.00 remanent:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362500931586.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362500931586.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 980
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362500954105.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362500954105.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 986

Nice leather for that price!

Ok. So was moving right along. Got the diamond pattern sewn in and was working on the sides. Not perfect but for the second time working in leather I am happy. Then i broke a needle. Then another. Wtf. Everything was going great. Well since i am running out of sober and want to chuck the singer through a wall I will quit for the night and post up pics of progress.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362534361953.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362534361953.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 315
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362534399908.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362534399908.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 770
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362534420652.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362534420652.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 760

That's lookin nice!
When ever I broke a needle it was because I was pushing the material through to fast especially tough stuff like leather, but that is looking sweet
Show us more tomorrow

Hopefully that is all it is, I replaced the needle then it started shredding the thread. I have had this issue once before and I may just have the needle in wrong. I will take another crack at it tonight. I then need to find some more poly fluff to smooth out where I hacked the foam away so the lumps don't show, then it is stretch and rivet time. I had to use a sharpy to draw the first lines on and put some dots to follow and when I washed it off it took some of the stain off the seat so I am also going to have to use a protector on it, or let it fade and wash out. we'll see. I am happy with the progress enough I think I may take a crack at a better cover for my GL next.

Back
Top Bottom