Nauti 88

Floor is in!!!! Glassed the ply on the bottom side, glued and screwed it down (stainless screws of course :)). Also went by the fiberglass supply and picked up a quart of color matched gelcoat for $20!! Awesome buy. Next step, sand the bottom!!!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368047960960.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368047960960.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 574
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368047978504.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368047978504.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 561
Looking good, hey did you refill the bulkheads under the floor with expansion foam?

Re: Re: Nauti 88

andycafe said:
Looking good, hey did you refill the bulkheads under the floor with expansion foam?

Definitely not. That foam was one of the main contributors to the stringers rotting out the first time. When we tore up the floor the first time, the existing foam was just soaked. It was just a huge sponge sitting right against the stringers for 20 years. We went with the "water in, water out" theory. There are drain holes in all the stringers and laterals, so if water does get in, it will go into the bilge and get pumped out.

The floor is done!!! Everything got a full layer of glass last night. I can't believe its so close...the trailer is vertigo modified today with a folding tongue. With that mod, the boat will fit in a standard size garage. :) the boat also got flipped today so we can work on the bottom. The small brown spot toward the stern is actually where a piece of gel coat came loose. Its a little hard to see in the pic but its about 2' square.

Once the new gel coat is laid down, she's gonna get color sanded and buffed to a nice shine. Makes it easier when she's upside down...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368314474571.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368314474571.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 632
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368314721176.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368314721176.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 643

andycafe said:
Nice progress, will you be keeping the same colour scheme?

Yea. The new gelcoat is just a patch. Everything that is delaminating will be removed and the patch put in. A good color sand and polish is going to make her shine!!!

Hitch done!!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368326180382.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368326180382.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 625
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368326168311.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368326168311.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 618
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368326156871.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368326156871.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 621
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368326147138.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368326147138.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 617
hansenracing519 said:
The small brown spot toward the stern is actually where a piece of gel coat came loose. Its a little hard to see in the pic but its about 2' square.
Pretty cool. Kinda nice to see something different amongst all the bikes...I only have one problem w it.
WTF is a stern ?....LOL
You seem to be doing an incredible job.

trek97 said:
Pretty cool. Kinda nice to see something different amongst all the bikes...I only have one problem w it.
WTF is a stern ?....LOL
You seem to be doing an incredible job.

Thanks. The stern is the back portion of the boat...I know its weird that boats have their own terminology.

I wish I could take all the credit for the work but my brother has been doing a lot of it lately. I've been busy taking care of a new born and a 2 year old. :) This project is definetly giving me alot of fiberglass practice though!!! Will be useful when I finally start my cafe project. Im going to take a 74 Bultaco Alpina 350 and cafe it. Came stock with a fiberglass tank.

Hey just a question, my family owns a marina and boatyard in new Orleans, are you using treated plywood and lumber for this? If not I would recommend you doing so, it doesn't rot nearly as fast as untreated lumber. Say if water or excessive moisture gets in the glasswork.. Just a heads up, ski boats get a lot of water on the inside with wet riders and such going in and out of the water, plus wet gear. Looking great otherwise, keep it up!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ronnie said:
Hey just a question, my family owns a marina and boatyard in new Orleans, are you using treated plywood and lumber for this? If not I would recommend you doing so, it doesn't rot nearly as fast as untreated lumber. Say if water or excessive moisture gets in the glasswork.. Just a heads up, ski boats get a lot of water on the inside with wet riders and such going in and out of the water, plus wet gear. Looking great otherwise, keep it up!

In the beginning we thought about using pressure treated lumber but decided against it. We went with the "water in/water out" theory like I mentioned before. All of the stringers and lateral support pieces have drain holes in them so the water can get down to the bilge.

I figure the boat lasted 25 years with all that foam in there which was basically just a huge wet sponge sitting against the stringers 24/7, so it will last with the new ones for at least that long without the foam. And honestly, its a little late in the project to switch out materials. Thanks for the pointer though. We will make sure to keep an eye on everything.

Ground back the delaminating fiberglass and laid down the first layer of new glass.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368506020884.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368506020884.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 686
Alot has been going on the last few days with the boat. We laid 2 layers of fiberglass on the patch, then mixed up some putty to level it out. After that the gel coat went on. We got it mixed by our local supplier and its darker than the rest of the boat but its on the bottom and below the water line so you won't even see it.

We've also started wetsanding. We're hitting it with 800 grit to start and then we'll be polishing it up with the machine so it should come out looking almost as good as new!!

On another note, we decided to paint the trailer gray so that got done as well. We pulled the bunks off and are going to be replacing those with new. The custom swing hitch is completed and we'll be putting on new LED lights that are submersible.

Sorry the pictures are a little dark. All I had was my phone and the flash didn't quite reach the 20 feet or so to light up the whole trailer.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368861869903.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368861869903.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 270
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368861882154.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368861882154.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 296
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368861897262.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368861897262.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 285
Shiny and new mate, Nice

Attachments

• 00-Like-Thumb.jpg
    00-Like-Thumb.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 620

andycafe said:
Shiny and new mate, Nice

Thanks man. We went way bigger on the patch so we have a nice smooth transition to the new gel coat. Once the gel coat is dry of course, its going to be block sanded smooth with 600 grit, then wet sanded like the rest of the boat. :)

The wet sanding is going to take forever though. We are going over everything with 800 grit to get it all smooth, then buffing and polishing in 2 stages to make it shine. :)

After that assembly starts...

Unfortunately, ill miss that part since ill he spending the next month in Albuquerque for work. All this work and I probably wont be there for the maiden voyage!!! :-( oh well, at least she'll be done and on the water soon!!!

If you are going to sand it, why not paint it? Shoot sanding and the prep work is 3/4s of the work! Is paint not in the budget? If I had a shell like that I would paint it because there isn't much to tape up. Any overspray is just goign to get covered with carpet and other interiors. It would take me maybe 2-3 hours to spray a boat that size.. I mean if you have the means, do it if you follow what I'm saying.

But, the patch work looks nice..

ronnie said:
If you are going to sand it, why not paint it? Shoot sanding and the prep work is 3/4s of the work! Is paint not in the budget? If I had a shell like that I would paint it because there isn't much to tape up. Any overspray is just goign to get covered with carpet and other interiors. It would take me maybe 2-3 hours to spray a boat that size.. I mean if you have the means, do it if you follow what I'm saying.

But, the patch work looks nice..

Thanks Ronnie. Honestly, these boats are worth more in their original paint most of the time (depending on condition of course). We knew the boat could really shine, she just needed some attention. ;-) we are going to buy some new decals for it as well so the factory original decals will be on the boat.

With the spit shine and some cool custom touches on the interior, it will he worth way more than we have into it. That's not why we jumped into the project of course, but its always nice to know you can get your $$ back right?

Better before and after pictures. It looks almost brand new!!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368948763553.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368948763553.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 288
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368948772057.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368948772057.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 282
Wow :p better pictures tell the full story ;) I've seen cut and polishes do wonders before, but dude :D

Nice work on the gel restoration. I've spent my fair share of sanding hours on my boat. It'll be worth it in the end
8e5ypusu.jpg
4azyvyvu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom