Carter's Cafe 360 (Vivian) (First Build)

bananaclip

Been Around the Block
I picked up a 74 cl 360 that has seen serious neglect but only has 4k original miles on the clock. I opened up the motor and she looks very good and clean so I started the full strip down. My plans are to build a nice reliable little cafe. I will be asking many questions along the way.
The beginning:
IMG_1295.jpg

Re: Mr Carter's Cafe 360

I cut off all the brackets and other unneeded weight, shortened the rear hoop, built a battery box, and welded up all the open welds and stamped steel. I then tossed on some appliance epoxy.
IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

Moved the kick stand to ride with the frame

IMG_1640.jpg

I love the look of the cl exhaust without mufflers but dont like the idea of no back preasure. So I broke out some steel tubing and washers. I drilled the tubing and started welding. This is what I came up with. Should look good when I get it cleaned up, painted and wrapped. Tell me your thoughts?
IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

I am going to close up the welds and do some cleaning!
IMG_1637.jpg

Guy's I need some advise on my exhaust! I smoothed out the welds on my baffles but am not really liking the finished look. Is there any type of endcap I can use or would you just have a local muffler shop bend 2 short turn outs?

Did you weld "all the way around" or just leave the tacks and smooth them out? I think if it was all the way around it might make you happier. Or at least I think it would look nicer. Like this pic of some pipes that were on a bike I just cleaned some carbs on. It's a ninja 250! haha. You could smooth out the welds though. (and these pipes were aluminum or titanium I think...not sure)

Attachments

• Ninja250 exhaust.JPG
    Ninja250 exhaust.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 251

wow thats pretty.. like someone was playing dominos with dimes..
as it should be sir.

I welded all the way around. The pic i posted is just tacked in. Makes me wish I had gas on my little hobart (Nice Welds). After seeing this pic I plan on cleaning mine up a bit more and going for the original look. Thanks for the inspiration and direction! After I paint my wheels and pipes tonight I will be ready to start assembly. All of you know how many hours go into these scoots. It is going to be so nice to put all of the fresh and new parts together. The crazy part is that I just picked up a cherry 78 triumph t140v 750 for my next project. I am trying to stay focused on this little honda before I start on the brit bike....... but it is very hard :-\ .

I've learned the hard way not to buy the next project before the other is done...my KZ550 STILL isn't done and I started it last october or so :( .

I've got an HH187 can you just buy the "cheap" gas add-on for yours? They sell it for like 80 bucks I think its a small canister, but makes it able to be mobile unlike mine I need 240v. I hope you get it to your liking, I'm stoked to see the exhaust on...I keep thinking how cool it would be to do some CL style pipes on a few of the bikes in my garage. I'll be watching.

Bruno, It has been hard to resist working on the triumph but i am determined to get the cafe done first. I dont have much time today due to the fact that I am watching both of my girls (5 and 2 1/2 months). The wife is our middle schools cross country coach and they are away at a meet. I figured I could nock out a few small things in between bottles and diaper changes. I picked up a nice petcock rebuild kit from the bay and started cleaning up the 37 year old unit.
IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

Freshened up and ready for install!

Made some good progress today. Cleaned up my pipes and painted them with 2 thousand degree flat paint. The internal baffles turned out pretty nice!
IMG_1663.jpg

Tore down the forks, cleaned, and put in new seals!
IMG_1664.jpg

Polished up most of the engine. Sand paper only so far no polish yet. Still have a bit of sanding to do but it is starting to look the part.
IMG_1665.jpg

Oh, just ordered a hondaman ignition!!!!

Thank you FFJ. I have a few more hours of sanding and polishing to do. All of my bits are painted and have been setting for the paint to cure. I have to give my wheels another coat of vht satin and I am ready to put this little girl together. I placed another order yesterday for the hondaman ignition. I also need to pick up a few switches and build a dash. I am going to center mount my speedo and install my key, start button, and a three way toggle for my headlight. I am not running any controls on my bars and for now no turn signals.

Pipes look good man. The engine is pretty slick looking right now too, even before polishing! Can't wait to see her put together!

Bruno, I want to thank you for the inspiration on the pipes. I was getting ready to go another direction before you chimed in!

No problem man. As with practically all the builds here there's something we don't see until it's pointed out, even when it's right in front of us! Now finish that so I can see more! ;D

Bruno, tonight is the night if everything goes as planned! I should have a naked roller assembled. I still have to aplly a coat of autosol to the engine and lowers before they go on. I am waiting on my seat to come back from the upolster and waiting on my hondaman ignition to show. I picked a color for my tank and tossed down a few coats last night. I went with BMW space grey metallic. I hope she turns out half as good as some of the wicked builds on our forum. I know that I have put a ton of thought and time in her!

I'd say your a better builder than I then...I have to come up with it on the fly! haha. Stoked man.

Alright, we have some progress. The tapered steering bearings didn't go in as smooth as i would have hoped but they are in. The swinger is attached and the freashened up shocks. Tonight the rebuilt forks, engine,and wheels should follow. Some pics for now.
IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

This is a pic of my father in law on his 74 cb360 that I owned for 2 days. :eek:
IMG_1657.jpg

That's one clean little scoot (74' cb 360)

I've heard some people say the tapered steering bearings are easy, and others say they are hell to get the right fit. Glad you got them in.

Yes the cb is a nice little scoot, it runs strong and is in very clean condition. I do have a question for the electrical guru's. What volt switches should I usefor my headlights, Horn, ignition? I am building a custom dash with a momentary electric start, momentary horn, and a 3 way center off toggle for the headlight.

Back
Top Bottom