81 KZ550 Work in Progress....

County Fair

Here are the base line pictures of my new 1981 KZ550.
Great little bike. She just needs cafed up come.

IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2187.jpg

Thanks,

Tim

Re: My 81 KZ550

I plan to start off with new bars. change the seat some. Rear fender tail lights.
My plan is to cut as little as I can on the bike.

Thanks,

Tim

Sounds like a plan. Try not to cut anything off the bike. In fact, since it's already May and the snow will eventually stop, just ride it and work out what works and what doesn't and then prioritize work and spending on Safety and reliability. Fill up, ride, polish, sit and enjoy life wherever the bike takes you.

With a season of riding you will have a much better idea of what changes you might want to make.

Wow looks good. I wouldn't mess with it too much like you said. Bars (clip-ons would look cool) and a different seat and you'd be there. Love these old KZ's.

Clip ons need rear sets and a different seat and headlamp brackets and............ Leave it alone and just service and ride it. It's a cool bike with lots of fun potential.

I got new bars from Dime City yesterday. I have an extra seat I plan to recover. That is about it for now.

She runs good. 12,000 miles, the carbs have never even been adjusted. I might go through them this summer.

teazer said:
Clip ons need rear sets and a different seat and headlamp brackets and............ Leave it alone and just service and ride it. It's a cool bike with lots of fun potential.

It is my goal to not do anything to the bike that can't be undone.

She runs and rides great. I will get her running better and looking sharp. This is going to be a fun project.

Thanks,

Tim

Nice selection on the bars. I think the OEM Kawasaki LTD bars are just terrible. Now granted I'm a 220lb guy on a KZ440, so there's a bit of a size mismatch there, but a set of "superbike" bars transformed mine nicely without making the stock foot positions feel out of place.

As others have said, though, safety and reliability, and then ride it! Weather at least in IL is too nice to be tearing a running bike apart.

BLSully said:
Nice selection on the bars. I think the OEM Kawasaki LTD bars are just terrible. Now granted I'm a 220lb guy on a KZ440, so there's a bit of a size mismatch there, but a set of "superbike" bars transformed mine nicely without making the stock foot positions feel out of place.

As others have said, though, safety and reliability, and then ride it! Weather at least in IL is too nice to be tearing a running bike apart.

Oh yes 86 here in Eastern Oregon today. I have the stock seat still. The bike runs great. The carbs could use going through. But for now that can wait. I am thinking that this fall new K&N pods, a header and carb rebuilds. I might get the extra seat redone next month.

I shortened the rear fender and added a "Lucas Style" tail light. Swaped out the LTD 550 badges with KZ550 badges. I have some new bar end mirrors and turn signals to put on as well.
I think it is looking better. I wanted the seat lower in the back but it is what it is.

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

Thanks,

Tim

3DogNate said:
Shit.... that was a quick and great looking "clean up" job.

...well, the deal is she is such a clean good running low mile bike I hate to cut into her.

She Runs great. The carbs have NEVER been messed with. There are still have plugs over the Air/Fuel screws. I have everything to put her back to stock. I think I am just going to ride her the way she is. Ill get another to cut up and cafe out. I just cant do it to this one.

Looks great. Save them if you can, there are plenty of f'ed up bikes out there for cutting up. Nice work. ;)

The only thing I have cut on the bike is the rear fender and the little deal that holds keeps the seat from going to far when open. It was broken anyway. The seat pan I cut was an extra one I picked up on e-Bay. I could put her all back to stock tomorrow if I felt the need. She is a great unmolested little bike.

Back
Top Bottom