KZ550 build thread. "Little Bastard"

six206

I've been looking for a motorcycle to build for a while now. My roommate has been putting the finishing touches on his hardtailed XS650 so I decided that he needed someone to ride with. After looking on craigslist for a few months I found the perfect candidate a few hours away. Its a 1980 KZ550 that was a father son "restore" project but the son had discovered the joy and misery of women and decided he didn't want a motorcycle anymore... Any way all they had managed to accomplish on the bike was loose half the parts. Luckily they had ordered some new parts like sprockets, chain, new tires and a super clean set of carbs off EBAY. So for $200 I bought some parts and most of a motorcycle.

Here it is when I rolled it in the shop.

IMG_0627.jpg

I immediately ripped out the stock wiring and cut off all the extra tabs. After a quick and dirty wiring job I found out the IC module was no good. After some searching I found this little tutorial on how to make one for about $50 out of 2 GM HEI modules and a some radioshack diodes. Here's the link. http://home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html Plugged it in and fired right up, ran like shit but because the carbs are all out of whack, but was poppin on all 4.

I mounted the Honda tank buy recycling some tabs and rubber grommets.

IMG_0633.jpg

After that I picked up a piece of aluminum for the seat pan and tail out of the drop box at the local welding shop. Clamped a pipe to the bench and bent it up. A little measuring and little sketching I got the shape and fitment I wanted.

IMG_0637.jpg

I'm planning on making my own rearsets and using the passenger foot peg mounts. They might not work the way I want, but I'll figure that out when I get to it. Also the bars are just flipped for mock up, I'll get some clubmans that have the right drop and bring the sweep back a little.

IMG_0636.jpg

A little trimming and bending and tweaking got it all lined up and brazed with the torch.

IMG_0640.jpg

And cleaned up. I ran some more filler rod to fill some pin holes.

IMG_0642.jpg

I went to the local speed shop and picked up some Dzus fasteners and weld on tabs to button this to the frame. So far there is 3, I might add one more. I like the simple clean function of these, and they work like a dream if you need to get into the tail to change a fuse or something. They are also super solid, better then some fiberglass and some clips.

IMG_0643.jpg

Here's the tail and seat pan in all it's glory. I'll trim just a little bit off the back but not much. I like the proportion in relation to the tank. Though this angle doesn't show it well. For upholstery, or lack of, the back rest is going to have a dimple hole with some screen behind it to keep those electronics cool as well as my ass. There will be a simple leather pad about the same shape around the hole, and then ling pads that follow the same lines of the frame rails. I'll roll beads in between them for a clean look. For a tail light I'm not just going to slap on any old light, I'm thinking about casting my own resin lens and making a bucket that it all fits in. I'll play with and see what happens.

IMG_0644.jpg

Re: My KZ550 build thread. Nasty Cafe.

Totally diggin' this man! I'm just finishing mine up (also a KZ550 , but 1982) I do happen to have a few boxes of parts laying around so if you happen to need anything let me know. Depending upon what it is, its yours for postage! (I also have a second frame for your bike if you ever needed one! ha ;))

Haha thanks, I haven't taken the header off yet but I sure that the sleeves are missing. Don't know what kind of pipe that is or if the stock ones will fit. Any ideas? Do you have an extra set?

Funny you ask, ya, I've got another set that's a 4-1 with a yosh pipe I think...but it's not much different from yours. By sleeves, do you mean the collar spacers? Or the internal pipe inside the down pipes?

Oh, and check your jetting...I had to drill out my TK pilot jets (unobtanium) with a #79 drill bit to get it to idle with the fresh air and open pipes. I cant remember what mains I put in, but it was quite a bit higher too. Can't wait to see what this one looks like!

The collars that fit between the head and the flange on the pipe, and then is there some kind of gasket that sandwiches between the 2? And I figured the jetting will have to be a lot bigger, I have some velocity stacks and then that open pipe. I think jets have to be opened up to 98-104 depending on the altitude. When I get there I'll open it up to 98 and see what happens.

I found this, which is awesome.

http://home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/TK22mainPage/TK22jetsAndDrills/TK22jetsAndDrills.html

Haha, yeah I was about to post that, I couldn't remember if I had that in my build thread or not. That's where I got my info from. It worked out pretty well. I think I'm running 102.5 mains right now...can't remember still :p And pilots are approximately 37.5 after drilling with #79 drill bit which is insanely tiny.

In order, there is the head, then a crush gasket (exhaust gasket) Then the collar that is split into 2 pcs (small end against exhaust flange and the larger "lip" faces outward away from the engine) and then the exhaust holder which is the larger ring that you actually tighten down the headers onto the engine.

The stock collars might not fit your pipes. I'll see if I have a set here so you can measure them out and see. Glad to see another KZ550 on here, these little bastards haul ass!

Finished up the tail tonight and the tray that sits under it for the battery and all that schtuff... Drew on some tail lights, too bad DOT won't check that off as "compliant." The idea is to use some tight brass mesh, and cut a wood buck that is the same opening at the tail lights. Then in a hydraulic press you make a sandwich with the buck, the screen and piece of urethane rubber. Squeeze to a few hundred pounds and the screen is pushed through the opening. BAM custom tail light screens. As for the buckets it will just be a box folded together with 2 sockets in it and red bulbs. I'll post pics of the process when I get to it.

0e9d1ed87a0a11e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

Here's a preview of what the tail light will look like. Still haven't found the right material for the screen to fill the holes and it looks like I'll need to mount some kind of a diffuser in there, I have some plexi I can die and that might do the trick...

taillight.jpg

Tail light is done! After looking and looking for something to use a plastic diffuser nothing came to mind... then I looked up in the shop and there it was... the plastic cover you use in florescent lights... had the perfect diamond pattern that I wanted. Just so happened to have an old broken one from another light laying around. Also cleaned the carbs and re-jetted them tonight. What a pain in the ass getting all the linkage to line up... I used my ultra sonic cleaner from my jewelry studio... came out brand new. Bad news is even though I was meticulous in disassembling them (one at a time on a cookie sheet) I managed to loose the float needle and seat for the last carb... SO if you have an extra tk-22 carb with a needle and seat #getatme.

photo.jpg

Thanks, Started working on the rear sets today. At the flea market on Sunday found some BMX pegs to use as the foot pegs and then cut the levers out of some 6061 I had left over in the bin. (I have no idea how much shit ends up in the scrap box in the shop...) Some bearings bushings from the hardware store make up the parts that make it move. I'll turn the toe pegs on the lathe tomorrow. Also finally ordered some parts so hopefully by the end of the week I'll have it running like a sewing machine.

photo1.jpg

Need to do the shifter side linkage, but I have a question: How long should the pitman arm looking lever that comes off the shifter shaft be? I know the throw from the lever on the rearset is affected by how long the linkage is. Can it be too short? I figure that the If I add the length of the lever on the rearset (3") and the where I was planning on cutting and the stock lever (2"), it's only an inch shorter than the stock piece... Am I moron for thinking that makes sense?

Did that bmx peg thread right in or did you create some threads? Bike is coming along nicely

awesome job on the tail, will be following this thread. great work.

I wish it threaded right on... I ended up drilling it out and sleeving it because the inside diameter of the bearings I used was 5/16 so everything had to be that size. Did the same thing to the frame. A grade 8 bolt and nut with a lock washer hold it all together

Re: My KZ550 build thread. "Little Bastard"

I wish it threaded right on... I ended up drilling it out and sleeving it because the inside diameter of the bearings I used was 5/16 so everything had to be that size. Did the same thing to the frame. A grade 8 bolt and nut with a lock washer hold it all together

Back
Top Bottom