cb200 back to the cafe "lola"

deepwaterimports

Over 1,000 Posts
Hay guys being fairly new to the forum thought I’d send a shout out just say that this site has a “Ton” of great builds and awesome information that I have been just soaking up, keep it up cause I’m fairly new to doing up bikes and it’s a great leg up.

Which leads me to my little predicament. I have just been given a 1974ish something cb200 and am stuck as to what to do with her, she is in fairly good condition and want to keep it retro looking I am thinking of powder coating chassis wheels fenders black, reconditioning engine, 2 into 1 exhaust, and new lights due to cracks etc, lower bars and re doing tank blue with pads.

Any help or thoughts as to whether I do a cafe build or keep it like above (slight renewing it) let me know, I know she will never dominate the track but it is mad fun cruising with the girl on the back and I love the old school CB style.

Re: newbie cb200 build

few little pics of bits i have had ordered and hanging around thinking of putting on the bike

Attachments

• stuff.jpg
    stuff.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 623
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 608

cafePete said:
Very nice blue!
Good luck with the build!

thanks mate, its actually a powder coat I’m stoked at how well it came out. I have just got a heap of stuff on order for now as I’m in desperate need of garage/space to tear the bike down and start getting into the good stuff.

deepwaterimports said:
Hay guys being fairly new to the forum thought I’d send a shout out just say that this site has a “Ton” of great builds and awesome information that I have been just soaking up, keep it up cause I’m fairly new to doing up bikes and it’s a great leg up.

Which leads me to my little predicament. I have just been given a 1974ish something cb200 and am stuck as to what to do with her, she is in fairly good condition and want to keep it retro looking I am thinking of powder coating chassis wheels fenders black, reconditioning engine, 2 into 1 exhaust, and new lights due to cracks etc, lower bars and re doing tank blue with pads.

Any help or thoughts as to whether I do a cafe build or keep it like above (slight renewing it) let me know, I know she will never dominate the track but it is mad fun cruising with the girl on the back and I love the old school CB style.

If I can find a CB200t I am going to be doing something like this
cb10.JPG

saw that one on ebay not too long ago. Nice bike except the seat is too short and squat for my taste. Wish is were a little lower and about 8 inches longer.

that cb200 does look nice there are some guys in south Australia doing a great looking build as well:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=18412.0

not much happening bike wise due to lack of garage but more parts are coming in

Attachments

• bike gear.JPG
    bike gear.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 490

also got a nice set of shorter oem mirrors. Have decided also to go with a brat type look keeping the same seat but slimming her shortening fenders new smaller lights and respray. Be prepared for a heap of help questions when I start stripping her as this is my first total strip I think I’ll need all the help I can ;)

cb 400 t said:
nice 200 anyone know who makes that fairing?

I contacted the owner when it was on ebay. He custom made the front fairing and rear seat pan. I asked if he would make one for me and he said yes but never returned my emails after that.

Lots of cb200's being built, including mine. I am past the tear down and into the cleaning, replacing, repainting stages. Will be glad to help.

Crash said:
Lots of cb200's being built, including mine. I am past the tear down and into the cleaning, replacing, repainting stages. Will be glad to help.

Likewise, I also have a build going on and would be glad to help.
Seems like I have literally replaced everything on the bike so far.

thanks guys knowing this site has great help like this makes it less daunting a task. i have a first question as well :) i have just taken the seat of to face a rusty sight. im thinking of ordering a new seat pan on ebay, what do you guys think???ill post pics of my mess.

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 426
  • seat hmmmm.jpg
    seat hmmmm.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 412

take a wire wheel and get all that rust off there. You'd be surprised how well it might clean up. Mine looked pretty similar and it cleaned up very well. With that being said, I ended up pitching it out anyways because I went with a custom made seat locally anyways.
I have seen those Vietnam seats on ebay, if that is what you are referring to. The look pretty nice, but they are super fat and chunky for my taste.

Using it for a mold would be a pretty cool idea. Just make sure that u get everything right so that it bolts back up straight. The Vietnam seats are a little chunky, but any good upholstery shop could redo them to your liking for very little money.

I have also seen a couple of full seats that had bad covers for pretty cheap. Just no outbidding me on anything!!!! ;)

deepwaterimports said:
its rusted through in alot of area's, i was thinking of using it as a mould to fiberglass? thoughts?

Would probably work. If you are going with stock shape, might be cheaper and easier to just buy a used stock pan on ebay or something.
Depending on the look you are going for, might also be easier to go with a premade glass unit- from glass from the past or airtech, etc.
I took forever to try and decide what to do with my seat. Couldn't find one that I liked enough, and ended up saying 'screw it' and am now having one hand hammered out from steel sheet locally. Cost ended up being around the same anyways and its custom fit to my frame.

Back
Top Bottom