Longer control cables?

helitaiwan963

Hey guys,

I got ahold of some new handlebars that essentially are 13-14" or so ape hangars. I currently have drag bars on my 74 KZ400 and always have been wondering how it would look with bars like apes or zbars, etc. Anyway, I was walking to go study today and found one of those old school low rider bicycle things in the trash on campus... I looked at the bars that were on there and long behold, 7/8" and they look awesome on the bike...

Thing is, I haven't taken off my drag bars yet to see if the cables are long enough, but being as tall as they are compared to stock... I think I'll probably need to run longer cables...

Basically, my question is... How do I go about running longer cables up to my throttle as well as my clutch? And what do I do with the front brake... It's a disc so it's a hose and not just a cable. I'm still pretty new to riding motorcycles and I do rely on my front brakes still so I am hesitant to take them off... even tho it would just look super clean...

Any advice or tips would be great

-Eric

Yes, you'll need longer cables and you'll need new front brake line for the disc. Small price to pay for... ape hangers? On a KZ 400? To each his own, I suppose.

The brake line should be the easiest to get. Try your local shops, a lot of them can make custom length brake line. The throttle & clutch cable will be a little more difficult. You will probably have to do an Internet search for companies that can make them. Check with your local shops, they may be able to do it or know someone who can. Another thing, are the bars as think as you drag bars? I've heard that bicycle bars use a thinner metal since they don't have as much abuse as motorcycles. I would hate to see you riding down the road & have your bars bend.

carnivorous chicken said:
Yes, you'll need longer cables and you'll need new front brake line for the disc. Small price to pay for... ape hangers? On a KZ 400? To each his own, I suppose.
You know... I was skeptical at first and that's why I've stayed with drag bars. But it doesn't look that bad. Kinda a shitty picture after i got back from campus.

615554_4720205165723_1404721038_o.jpg

blipside said:
The brake line should be the easiest to get. Try your local shops, a lot of them can make custom length brake line. The throttle & clutch cable will be a little more difficult. You will probably have to do an Internet search for companies that can make them. Check with your local shops, they may be able to do it or know someone who can. Another thing, are the bars as think as you drag bars? I've heard that bicycle bars use a thinner metal since they don't have as much abuse as motorcycles. I would hate to see you riding down the road & have your bars bend.
This is a small college town so there aren't as many local shops as I'd like. Also, I will check the thickness of the bars. I didnt even think about it. But it is pretty heavy and looks close. It for sure isn't paper thin

Back
Top Bottom