"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Re: "Not so Mellow Yellow" - KZ750 - "Tangerine Dream"

crackerman said:
I'd pull those carbs apart and soak them. If there the original carbs they are pretty easy to take apart and put back together. Build yourself a real simple wiring harness just to power the starter and coil. Fresh gas, new plugs and it should fire up if it's not seized.

Yes, looking at that brown / rust staining under the carbs I'd say that would be the first on the list !

Don't want to spend too much time on them as I want to fit Amal mk2 Concentrics eventually.

Motor turns over freely and has good compression. The PO said he kept it started every 4 weeks or so when he first laid it up, then it was every 4 months and then maybe once or twice in the past 3 years ! The oil is clean as a whistle and has no emulsification or other nasties. I might just be lucky.

Well the big question is did or did you not manage to get this little gem running over the Christmas period hope so mate :)

Fab Tanks said:
Well the big question is did or did you not manage to get this little gem running over the Christmas period hope so mate :)

YES ................. swapped over the tank from my TR1, which was clean / fresh petrol and then a quick clean and flush through of the carbs - you should have seen the shite that came out !

Plugs out and spun over for a few minutes to make certain oil was getting round - plugs in and it fired right up!

I'd love to say "first prod" of the starter, but it took 4 goes to get it fired into life - not bad after it's been stood without staring for best part of a year.

I'll start the final stripdown next week and hope to have the frame and swingarm ready for the powder coaters along with my TR1 stuff in a couple of week's time. Happy Days

No nasty noises [ apart from the rotten exhaust ] and it soon settled to a reasonable tickover - all looking good.

Gave the whole plot a power wash yesterday - most of the grease and grime off now and ready for the final stripdown.

I've arranged with my pal AC to have a day with his wrinkle finish plant. I plan to take as much as possible from ALL my projects. Mostly engine assemblies. He only has Black or Red paint so I'll shoot everything Black and then put a final coat of the chosen colour. Mostly Satin Black [ the wrinkle is Gloss ], but Cream [ yes really for the Cafe Creme lump ].

The tracker lump will be Satin Black with some polished highlights.

BTW - here's my original "Not so Mellow Yellow" - 356 California Speedster [ replica ].

img100.jpg

The pipe on those two KZ750 trackers looks the same because I would bet they're the same bike. Yellow is just an earlier stage build photo of the orange final. I bet it's one-off exhaust. Agree the bends are too swoopy. Have that same orange bike in my own inspiration folder. I'll be watching this project unfold. Good luck!

NF,

just found a guy today who makes the High level pipes for the BSA Scrambler. Looks like being around £150 [ $250 ? ] in stainless to make a set for the KZ. He's not too far away and will need the rolling chassis to make the pipes to.

Fingers crossed.

high pipes are gonna make the bike look mean i cannt wait to see them.

That sounds like a good deal.

notlob said:
That sounds like a good deal.

Yes, you'd think so...... except for the KZ750 it would be £300 !!!!!!!! What fucking planet are these guys on ?

He was quite serious when he gave me the quote and expected me to order a set there and then.

I'm looking to find a set of these BSA Scrambler pipes and see if they can be modded without too much aggro.

If so, I'll buy a set of his £150 pipes - and fuck him.

Whatever, CB400T you're right - they will look the canines cajones. Different, but the same as, if you know what I mean !

A blast from the past that links that era with the more modern KZ750T.

beachcomber said:
Yes, you'd think so...... except for the KZ750 it would be £300 !!!!!!!! What fucking planet are these guys on ?

He was quite serious when he gave me the quote and expected me to order a set there and then.

That is a kick in the Canines Cajones. I'm dreading ever having to get a set of headers made up. I been fortunate so far with stock ones.

notlob said:
That is a kick in the Canines Cajones. I'm dreading ever having to get a set of headers made up. I been fortunate so far with stock ones.

IF you need special exhaust try Keihin in Redditch. They've made me some ace stuff in the past at reasonable prices. Can't use them at the moment as my pal at RAM pissed them off - so by association - I'm Blackballed.

Double crap as they're only 10 minutes from my house !

Those pipes will be the signature for my bike, so at some stage I have to sort it out / financially bite the bullet.

The bike will be going on the ramp in 2 week's time when the TR1 donor [ Cafe Racer ] is fully stripped down.

No rush really, I need to get the basics done first - powder coating frame / swingarm, wire wheels, yokes [ triple trees ]. And then there's a bunch of stuff that is labour intensive and won't require money.

What do we think of Metallic Electric Blue for the frame, s/arm, yokes, and ancilliaries with the Fuck Off Yellow tank etc?

sounds like a plan....i'd go with Red myself but thats been done

Desmo,

Red [ frame ] seems to work well with Italian bikes, also with lots of Alloy [ tank, guards etc. ] and I did briefly consider that combo for the Tracker.

I guess Blue frame would also go with Tangerine - Blue tank scallops ?

Help required from my US cousins.

I'm trying to find the font that's commonly used on period flat track racing numbers. I'm looking at going down the daylight MOT route now [ no lights required ] and using racing # plates front and sides.

Done the usual font searches on Word etc and found nothing.

55 is what I'm after, my old football playing number ! Naturally just one numeral is all I need.

Yellow's out of the window now - looking too "Yamaha".

I typed in Racing Fonts into google and this is the best I found

Attachments

• fonts.jpg
    fonts.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 648

Thanx for tha Desmo, food for thought there - I'll flag up the exact style I'm looking for.

A lot of the vintage numbers were hand painted by pinstripe guys. Have a look around for vintage sign painter's fonts.

DesmoBro said:
I typed in Racing Fonts into google and this is the best I found

Pretorian isn't a million miles off. Thanx for the input.

Back
Top Bottom