Speedfiends Camper Redo

Speedfiend

Coast to Coast
The wife and I just bought this '60 FAN Travel trailer Co. Luxery Liner. The name sounds nice, regretably the camper is a little rough, actualy shit hole might be closer. Water damage, broken windows, missing stuff etc. But it was CHEAP! And the alloy skin is in great shape. I literally pulled it from the jaws of a scrapper. Based on what I'm seeing behind the paneling, he might have had the right idea. Still, from checking out what other folks have done from equally humble beginings, I'm somewhat confident I can pull this off. And by pull it off I mean a complete, skin off, cabin off the frame, new wiring, plumbing, insulation, paneling, redo. I hesitate to say resto, cause we're going to begetting rid of the 'ol propane fridge, heater, stove, and lights replacing them with new electric stuff. And rearranging the floor plan to accomadate the wife and I plus three kids and a motorcycle. By June, whew!

IMG_0018.jpg

Inside. Scarey.
IMG_0020.jpg

Starting the tear out.
IMG_0023.jpg

Nice weather today. Finished most of the interior tear out. Rotton. Nothin' I didn't expect. These things are amazingly simple.
IMG_0031.jpg

Pulled out the propane stove, fridge, lights ,heater. I'm thinking I can save space/weight/hassel by replacing them with new eletric stuff. Rewire for 30 amp.

We hope to keep the momentum rolling. I wanna have it down to the frame by next week.

Subscribed! I can't wait to see where this goes. Making room for wifey,3 kids & a motorcycle? Excellent!

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Wow! A new build thread category! Who knew! I feel like a proud new papa! ;D ;D

I feel very close to this build. ;D

Hey, I recognize a good idea when I see one, and I can't think of anything better than a portable man-cave/family room to start this section off with :)

But don't expect me to start posting up my kitchen and bathroom reno's :) But maybe if I get ambitious and do something cool with my garage this spring...

Wow, thanks for the support and interest! And huge thanks to Tim for making some room for this. Now I have even more motivation to do this right. I hope I can do ya'll proud. To anyone who's considering a vintage camper-Go for it! There a lot of great resources out there. If you can build a bike and or out up a shed, you can do this. So far I've found the vintage camper community online to be very friendly and helpful. I joined the Tin Can Tourist on face book. Very active group, online and in the real world. They have a classified section and stuff.
http://www.tincantourists.com/

I'll be watching for sure... I can't wait till my pop up is paid off then the thing is gonna get a make over to the tune of a new subframe, axles, and plenty of boarding space for bikes! I hate that I can take the damn thing pretty near anywhere I want but I can't bring all my toys with me. :(

Rock on Bro!

Interior stripped, rest of the windows out, exterior trim and lights removed. Ready to peel back the lid an start skinning. BUT progess is being hindered by rusty clutch head screws. I guess they used these on alot of trailers for some reason. When they get rusty they really suck, and theres a crap load of them. I found 2 clutch drive tips a local hardware, but have worn those down to nubs. Lowes and Home Depot have never heard of them. Just ordered a pack from Mcmaster-Carr. Hope they come in by the weekend.
IMG_0025.jpg

I should have started the lid today, but my head hurt from last night. Anthrax was awesome but Testament fucking killed it.
IMG_0047.jpg

haha what the fuck is this? haha ohw shit i'm having pain in my stomach haha - No offense, it's a cool tin and so.. but haha wtf! I think we've crossed a line here. The one where 2 wheels end and.... well... all the other stuff begins. Just throw this thread in the "our cages" topic or somehing. This doesn't make any sense.

I kinda feel like all the people posting "how the fuck did i get here" at zit-popping vids on YT...

Dear admin,
Would you make a special section at the DTT forum where i can post pics of my pubic hair?

I think most of us here have multiple interest and hobbies and its nice to have a forum where all hobbies are accepted and enjoyed. Personally if you don't like it don't watch it. There is no need for a shitty attitude like that around here.

i knew (before i posted my previous comment) these responses would come from the internet-peacekeepers. i posted it anyway because i felt like it. still do btw.
Like i said "no offense". I just think an extra forum-thingy for a member fixing a caravan is plain ridiculous, that's all.

-my previous comment has nothing to do with him, the tin, the build or zits ;)

And the don't like/don't click comment is stupid. I do like the build, never said i didn't.

IMO, it does "fit" because he intends to use it to transport a bike(s) too. No different than a man cave or a shed/shop.

Bert Jan said:
Precisely. So why a special forum-thingy?

It is nice to see that our members creativity goes well beyond just motorcycles. SpeedFiend is showing the kind of ingenuity that makes the folks here so great. Our kind Mods decided to provide us a place for just that.

Now, let it go Bert. You are now going out of your way to create an issue where there doesn't need to be one.

SpeedFiend, please forgive us for giving taking your thread wayyyyyyyy off course. Kindly resume your most excellent build progress photos.

Hey bert, I'm not feelin the love from you, brov. I did post it in the "latest purchase" thread and the guys showed some interest so Tim hooked it up. Tim Rocks! If you don't like it, go away. Thanks

Personally, I can't wait to see what else pops up here.

Back
Top Bottom