Forgive me DTT for I have strayed...

Hoosier Daddy

Earache my eye...
Hello, My name is Scott, My last post was Jul 04, 2014 .
Not much I can say for myself other than Life got in the way of working on the bikes this summer. Plenty of rides but no new activity.
Work has taken it's toll and I am completely whooped at the end of the day. I don't know how I could muster the energy to go out to the shop until the wee hours like I used to. So now I guess bike nights will be relegated to weekends.
But even the weekends have been full. This summer we bought a P-up camper that consumed a shit ton of time and money.. but the Wifey and I have really enjoyed it. 6 trips to various campgrounds, even the back yard. I bought it new tires, wheel bearings, brakes, battery mod, and various little tweeks.

IMG_20140802_160811_546_zpsvmjj6koy.jpg

Then, while wandering the local gun store I found a older Savage .17 HMR with a broken stock and with a bit of tweeking, I threw together a little Hot Rod tack driver. I've gotten to the point I can hold a 100 yard group the size of a half dollar on the bench rest... and 150yrd Ground Hog head shots are a piece of cake.

KIMG0021_zpskwmvi8hr.jpg

KIMG0043_zpsvtxnmdiy.jpg

Then most recently, I traded in the "Old Faithful" 97 2WD Dakota in for a 2013 Ford F-150 4X4. She's a really nice truck that was a Commercial Lease trade in. Minor blems here-n-there and 60K miles already, but I got her for the NADA "clean trade-in" price instead of full blown retail. It's the nicest "Work Truck" I could ever have imagined.

ef100400-7529-4e40-bfa6-09b30d7712b7_zps48ca5cc3.jpg

So although I have not been sloutchin by any stretch of the imagination, the bike projects have been neglected. I have not frequented DTT in way too long and today I was out in the shop cleaning up and putting tools away and stood slack jawed looking at my little bike stable and wondering where the summer went. :-[
I then came in and checked the Pay-Pal bike account and DAMN! I still got untouched bike funds! Guess it's time to get crackin on the two old BSA projects!
I really have missed you guys.

.17 HMR's are an absolute blast. The damage they cause is astounding for a 17 grain bullet. Everyone around my parts rags on Savage. I picked one up a few years ago with a bulled barrel, and the acutrigger, and it is spectacular.

Sounds to me like your priorities are clearly sorted. I need me a camper for some family excursions.

That sounds like time/money well spent to me.
Any more, I would rather have a Savage than a new Remington. Nice work on the custom stick. 8)

In all honesty I love all 3... camper, 17HMR, and truck. This summer has been good to me... just not my bike projects!!

Oh man an old apache hard-side! Them things are cool. We've been rocking a PUP around here for a several years, love the thing, finally paid it off this spring. Had its fair share of mods and such, now I just hook up and drag it to the lake and relax. I think adding in better ducting for the fridge was the best bang for the buck, sucker will flat out make ice now.

KIyokr.jpg

HD those Colemans are known for their crappy tops, be gentle with them, don't cram or force them as can and will crack. They are not cheap to fix either.

Thanks Guys!
Yeah Frog, I learned about the Coleman ABS roof issues after I bought it and joined http://www.popupportal.com/ . Fortunatly mine has just a little sag with only two hair-line cracks on the "street side" and no delaminating yet. The PO had it up when we looked at it and bought it so I really lucked out!
Justin, That old Apache is friggin COOL! I have wanted an old Shasta or Scotty "Canned Ham" to restore for a long time, but they are so damn expensive now because of the demand and this P'up has so much more room inside. It can sleep 7 (or fuck 14) with the table and sofa folded down. So far the most we have taken is the Daughter and S.I.L. with one Grand-Kid and were very comfortable. The bunk end the Wife and I use is a king matress.

I'm a member on PuP and PuX as well, spent lots of time looking through things over there, lots of crazy fools doing crazy things just like around here. I get a little tired of all the acronyms thought thb. ;D

I love my Jayco, I shopped a long time for something that had the fridge where it is so I can get to with the top down. Most of our camping areas are a good ways away and I'd rather pack more stuff to play with than another cooler. Lets me pack the fridge and cruise. Now if I could just figure out how to strap a motorcycle to I would be set.

I grew up with a pickup popup dad bought because he got tired of tents. Same with us, this thing works great for sleeping and getting out of the rain. Gets pretty hard to keep it cool in the middle of the summer so we tend to take it out on rainy weekends then.

I've been staring at an Apache for a few years that is in someones back yard. I've even asked about it and I get a "ITS NOT FOR SALE" and a door shut in my face. One of these days maybe.

We are eventually graduating to an RV. When that happens, I'll gladly sell you my Apache.

I bought the Apache for less than 1,000. It was all original (with the exception of wheels/bearings). I have replaced all of the living hinges. I need to buy a replacement end panel (has a slight leak). I also need a replacement three way fridge, but fuck they are expensive.

frogman said:
... Now if I could just figure out how to strap a motorcycle to I would be set...

JustinLonghorn said:
We are eventually graduating to an RV...

We are already talking about our next one, Wifey wants a Hydrid, like a Roo 183...
I want a Scorpion for the toy hauler possibilities
16040d1249001335-fleetwood-scorpion-s1-toy-hauler-camper-100_1447.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

I believe that if you dig around on PuP you will find a guy that took his toy and put it on a larger trailer and made something like that scorpion.

Back
Top Bottom