What are these shocks?

Beeweldmut

Been Around the Block
I've seen these a couple times lately. Are they forks that get shortened? What are they called? Anything I can guess is too generic is to google.

53677f1ea46bb3d414d280ba4a3724e4.jpg

Why's it gotta be ghetto? That's as long as the internals, travel, or spring needs to be. Now if it's just a cutoff fork holding a cutoff spring then, yeah it's ghetto. But I have seen this on a few legitimate builders bikes, so I'm sure there is a way to do it right.

Looks like front shocks from a scooter. They look like front motorcycle forks but are much shorter because a scooter wheel is much smaller. Do a google search for something like "scooter, front fork, front shock absorber" and see what comes up.

china grade cheapies

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Suspension-Air-Rear-Shock-Absorbers-2-Pcs-for-Motorcycle-/271551182946?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f39b63862&vxp=mtr

So they don't really have a special name, just a style of air shock. I like the no spring look. I have a bent set of inverted ohlins. I wonder if I could cut them down to make a shock.

you could try, as part of the design front forks have a lot of internal overlap
and the damping is done with a long ass cartridge so it will be a huge amount of work
back in the day the harley factory mx bikes tried a set of highly modified forks in the rear

Harley_MX250_prototipo_1975.jpg

Would have to be a lot shorter than that. I want to go with a mono shock for my next build so I doubt I can get a spring heavy enough to work, but I'll keep the idea in mind for another day.

xb33bsa said:
you could try, as part of the design front forks have a lot of internal overlap
and the damping is done with a long ass cartridge so it will be a huge amount of work
back in the day the harley factory mx bikes tried a set of highly modified forks in the rear

Harley_MX250_prototipo_1975.jpg
How are you supposed to rail through a rut at unadilla with that crap hanging off the back end?

Back
Top Bottom