Suzuki GN400 Scrambler/Cafe Hybrid

WOW!
I have been AWOL for here for a bit (building and riding). This build has made me remember why I came here in the first place. Top notch and very inspiring. Getting ready to start a GN400 build with my son. Now I can’t wait.

bratt/ tracker/rat
Superbike bars, Motolana seat, thinking of scrambler style high pipe. Going to try and use the stock tank bare metal, all else black with maybe a little red accent here and there. One of my first concerns was the front forks. Well you solved that little problem for me:) xs650 it is ! I'm sure once I get a little further into it I'll be bugging you for specific tips. Really love your attention to detail. You have inspired me to get out the drill and make some pretty swiss cheese. Swagger already has me on a machined dimples kick... :) you should see the petcock extention he made me :)

PS. I would be interested in your "prototype exhaust" if you end up going stainless or not using it?

I'll have to look it up, but I thought I saw on here somewhere some tips on taking care of bare metal and patinia.. by Crescent Son ? Like I said been awhile since I have been on. Winter coming and too many builds, I think I'll be here a lot more. I need all the help I can get :)

That's how I meet all you rocker fellas in the first place Bill Beebe (I think) told me about the Portland club. Funny thing is meeting some of the rockers then realizing who they were in here. You were ez :) had been bsing with Graham for months before I realized he was Swap Meet and had helped me a bit in the past. I guess a small world! Def going to have to find some more pieces for you to dimple in the near future. :)

I just read this thread from start to finish... I'm surprised I haven't run across it before! I must say, stellar work, and I always knew there was something worth finding under all that ugly... Looking forward to seeing the end result- I like what I see so far!

I thought you'd enjoy these shots...

SAM_0172.JPG

SAM_0165.jpg

:D

Hey, I've been reading up about your build, so I had to join in on the zuki talk. I just recently got a bobbed out and hard strutted 81 gn400 for $450. The guy couldn't start it when I went to get it but I fell in love when I sat on it. Got it home and started digging in, first thing I did was tried to hear it run..the guy cut half of the exhaust out and put a pod filter on it and I guess that fucked with the airflow. When I got it started finally, it was idling at 6-8 grand and was loud as fuck! I'm new to bikes, I had a 83 cb550 but it needed work and just ended up selling it. But I do NOT want to get rid of this bike. Im asking for advice/help.. I really don't know where to begin..please help!

How did the sparx capacitor work?...
Im friends with hugh's handbuilt and build all of my bikes with them. He has a regulator/rectifier and capacitor combination he uses on his PMA conversion kits and it takes the xs650's single unit and seperates the charging system like our gn400's. And i can get him to help with the configuration, but i'm curious if your approach has successfully worked before i start head over heels. And thanks a ton for the descriptive write up you gave on the 6v to 12v conversion theory.
-hanz

Really like this build great job so far! I have been looking to build a similar bike but will definitely be on a tight budget. I know your running an xs650 forks, and it sounds like it was a straight swap into the gn400 trees. Do u know if the swing arm is a straight swap as well?

I basically want to swap in a xs650 front end with 5 spoke alloy wheel and the same for the swing arm assembly. Do happen to know is this is possible?

Back
Top Bottom