'72 cafe T500

Cafe-XV750

Been Around the Block
1972 Suzuki T500 Titan - 500cc two-stroke twin.

Not even halfway done on my cafe XV750 and I buy another bike! This was a craigslist deal that was too good to pass up. Rough and ratty, but salvageable. Previous owner had rebuild the engine and says it ran great and is quick. Very stiff racing style clutch. As you can see, he started to cafe it - will continue with it.

As-purchased 9/4/09
100_1585.jpg

100_1586.jpg

The clubmans are now on my XV750 ... will likely get another set for this bike. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to use the oil tank (all there) or premix. Exhaust will likely get replaced with chambers and I need to fab up some rearsets.

Now in-process of just gathering up the obvious parts and coming up with my plan to start the build.

Updates to follow ... let me know what you think.

sweet score dont see many zuki's i probably miss them as i browse for honda under 1000$ on the CL
sweet score how does it run?

I stumbled on it doing a search for 'clubman' because I was looking for parts for my XV750 build ... the deal on this bike was just too good to pass on!

We tried starting it, but the tank was nearly dry (petcock is leaking) and the battery was hooked up to a charger - couldn't get it fired. Doesn't matter as I'll go completely thru the bike. He said he had it running well earlier this year around his yard though - was going to drag race it.

Awesome, nice find! You gonna go all out on it performance-wise, or keep it with the stock 50 ponies? I know I'd be tempted to get some large spannies made, as well as head and porting jobs hahaha...

Be keen to see how this comes out - boingk

Found an old article yesterday on how to duplicate the factory Daytona mods - decking, porting, carbs, and chambers ... we'll see!

how does it feel to know your 72 t500 is faster than ANY H.D.. You got a great bike

Opinions wanted ...

Even thought I really like the look of it, I keep reading that the front drum brake is marginal at best. Could maybe get the shoes relined with a better and more modern material (common in the car restoration world) for improved performance.

Or considering changeover to a front disc - a 1-year ('77) option on a T500 or adapt from another model. Let me know what you think ... single or dual?

Here's a combo that works for the T-500 front end. find some GT-750 water Buffalo forks they are larger and aluminum. Put in race tech springs and emulators if money permits. Then Find some early 80s' GSX calipers they bolt up, use some good pads I would choose EBC. Drill the dual rotors do not chamfer the holes. Use S//S dual brake lines (I prefer Galfer) and fit an Avon A22 (I think that's the correct tire A23 for the rear? That will be vintage race front end. Oh and lace up an aluminum rim WR3 front 18" WR4 rear 18" There is also a virtually standard weld in chassis brace. A one inch tube on each side starting just above the swingarm point and running forward on an angle to just under the gas tank. Make sure it clears the air filters. I love the T-500 my brother has one we are slowly race prepping.
Cheers, 50gary

I haven't done anything with this bike other than parts gather ... too many other projects on-going right now.

50gary - thanks for the info!

Looking forward to this one when you get to it. Something that occurred to me, you mentioned wondering if you should premix and I thought you should know these bikes have oil running to the bearings. Mods are required (drilling oil holes?) to run premix or she won't like it. Good luck with it.

A few random thoughts. Keep the oil tank and pump and check it works. pre-mix is not a good idea for many reasons, paramount among which is what JLgace referred to. The mains are not designed to be lubed that way - quite a different system to Yamaha.

Front brake really is not too strong but new linings can help. GT750 front end is a better idea, but get a pair of lighter disks.

Old porting ideas are fun to read and collect, but 2 stroke technology has marched on since then. If you want more power, a set of JEMCo pipes are a good place to start. Get Eric at Sundial to do the porting.

Fun bikes and that one is a good place to start.

You could fit GT500 or GS750 front end and have single or dual disc.
Personally, I would fit Katana front end as they are easily available cheap and axle size is same as GS/GT.
They are also 41mm so plenty stiff.
You will need to do something with swingarm though, it's a bit flexy

Thank again for the tips ... this project just sits while I'm trying to finish others.

I don't mind keeping oil injection (as long as the pump works), but not a fan of the stock oil tank - easily changed though.

Take a look at our UK site...www.classic2strokesuzuki.com. You might get some ideas for your build. We have developed a system for disposing of the standard side panels, as we think they look a bit poo too. We can supply a small polished, cylindrical oil tank, which looks very tidy......you can then de-lug the frame, and move the battery and electrics back under the seat hump.

Good luck with it !

Paul and Tim....Titan Performance.

FINALLY - Movement after almost 9 years!

My now 17yo son (Lochlanndd on here ... hasn't posted yet so encourage him ;)) has taken interest in this bike - has a personal goal to get it 'ready' this year. When he's not working for $, he's cleaning, painting and wrenching ... with guidance from Dad of course ;D

- Engine/trans and carbs are ready - was in decent shape overall, now just need to decide which ignition system installing
- Frame has been torn down, de-tabbed, added braces, re-worked rear (for a café seat pan) and in paint
- Fuel tank cleaned out, stripped and primed - some minor dents to fill, but otherwise in great shape
- Exhaust header pipes and mufflers cleaned up
- Wheels in the middle of cleaning and ready for new tubes/tires
- Forks and shocks in the middle of refurb
- Jr Clubmans getting new or refurb'd controls and bar-end mirrors
- Rear-set plan in-process
- All new wiring and all LED lighting plan in-process

He drawn-up the final paint and emblem scheme ... this thing might actually be done in within my 10 years of ownership!

Will try to get him to post-up progress pics ...

9 years, humm.. how time flies. Ann Arbor, I'm in Saginaw. Keep at it bit by bit. I also have a T-500 now as well. I'd mentioned some years back that my Brother had one (still does) I used a complete front end from a Katana 600 41 mm and cheap.
Cheers, 50gary

Back
Top Bottom