CBX550-Brat/urban scrambler on a budget

I'm in two minds Carbs, I know what I want to make, but this will work well and be practical for the time being as I don't want to delay riding it while I make side panels.

I'm looking to form them out of 1mm alloy to include a highlighted scrambler style number roundel, but have more to it so I can cover the electrics and have something to hold it in place, maybe Zeus clips.

In the meantime, a leather saddle bag and something on the other side will work for now.

The long awaited (a week) petcock has arrived back and I have to say it's very well put together. The newly turned stainless spigot is a tolerance fit over the original brass spigot and glued in with threadlock....no leaks expected.

I now have the same spigot size throughout the fuel supply line, so happy dayz :)

xb33bsa said:
nice work :)
"tolerence fit" does that mean with clearance ?
Thank you, no it was tapped/hammered on and sealed with threadlock as well.

I've got the tank, tap and filter connected tonight as well as the replacement LEDs and headlight fitted. All's good, electrics work throughout. Moved the leather side casecover to the battery side as it covered the ignition switch..DOH! Roundel will now sit on the left side.

Started it and ran it for a few minutes, garage filled with 'zorst fumes, so shut it down. Gonna give it a gentle shakedown run tomorrow.....:)

In other news, I've just received a £450 ($600) tax rebate, so there's my boots and helmet money....thank you Mr Taxman.

Free money at just the right time... Awesome!
Get yourself on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex jb said:
Free money at just the right time... Awesome!
Get yourself on the road

Proper bonus I reckon :)

https://youtu.be/Eg94N42ectY

Maiden shakedown run this morning, it went well, nothing fell off and the old girl can gather her skirts up and trot along nicely. Didn't get out of 4th as it was only the back lane and I don't have full papers yet, so easy does it. Very pleased I is.

beachcomber said:
Side panels instead of saddle bags please - otherwise a fantastic job.

Thank you beachy....saddle bag is uber practical...let's see how the roundel on't'other side works?

Looking great buddy.
I think you could definitely pull off a scrambler type front race number facia thingy with a 2 1/2" projector light in it.

This a guy at work's Triumph, it could take the projector in the upper or lower bit of the '8'

baebdc79a88d7596c34dc4b5cbb43f80.jpg

Thank you I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

I get what you're sayin' Alex, but that look/style is new skool/tracker and I was looking for the old Brit bike look, headlights included. Plus I don't like that style to be honest.

I might change the rectangular to round yet ;)

love the saddlebag side covers i will be doing something similar on mine for at least the right side only change I would make is swaping the Square headlight for a round one and mounting it a little lower.. but thats just my taste... outstanding job!.

Psy

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Psycrow said:
love the saddlebag side covers i will be doing something similar on mine for at least the right side only change I would make is swaping the Square headlight for a round one and mounting it a little lower.. but thats just my taste... outstanding job!.

Psy

Thank you very much psycow....single side saddlebags are the future haha!. I have lowered the headlight today as it was a touch too high and I am thinking about a roundy roundy one....just thinking mind ;-) The rectangular headlight matches the rear light and indicators...there is a theme I think?

you will find that is about the worst place you could put a bag ,there right in your way,unless it is just a sidecover painted like a bag you will always know its there anoyingly it even is a hazxard there and takes away control of the bike
what the hell is good about it ?the location?
it even looks ridiculous having them in your way
the normal location for the saddlebags/luggage bags is a great solution for such rertardedness of mounting them smack dab in your way
you know what it looks like ? like some queer interior decorator who knows zip even how to shift gears, dressed up a motorcycle
not that i have anything against anybody but it looks that fucked up and is
if you tucked them in flush so you wouldn't constantly feel them right IN THE WAY where your leg wants to ber and there was no buckles to catch a pant cuff or shoelace on, that would be different but having them bulked out right in your way is one of the stupidest deals i have seen yet
fcking snap out of it dudes,before you venture into public with the worst bag location ever concieved

xb33bsa said:
you will find that is about the worst place you could put a bag ,there right in your way,unless it is just a sidecover painted like a bag you will always know its there anoyingly it even is a hazxard there and takes away control of the bike
the normal location for the saddlebags/luggage bags is a great solution for such rertardedness of mounting them smack dab in your way
you know what it looks like ? like some queer interior decorator who knows zip even how to shift gears, dressed up a motorcycle
not that i have anything against anybody
if you tucked them in flush so you wouldn't constantly feel them right IN THE WAY where your leg wants to ber and there was no buckles to catch a pant cuff or shoelace on, that would be different but having them bulked out right in your way is one of the stupidest deals i have seen yet
fcking snap out of it dudes,before you venture into public with the worst bag location ever concieved
How on earth do you know they are in his way. Sitting with his legs bent they would tuck neatly behind his leg and if his legs are longer they would not even interfere when stopped. Obviously you are not a fan and you are entitled to your opinion however the language you used comes off as harsh and very unconstructively crittical. My mother alyways taught me if you don't have something nice to say dont say anything at all... you don't by chance post over on that "other" cafe racer board? If so please feel free to return there where such critical reviews of ones work seem to be the norm.

Psy

hey i love the bike its fantastic .the work he's done and the style
the bags are not the bike it is an idiotic location for bags
anybody who rides a standard ergo's bike knows there in the way

remember the emporers clothes somebody needs to stand up and point out the obvious ,thats all

Funny you should say that Psycrow, the same guy at work also rolls up on this Enfield also.m

I liked the low and small headlight with the 21" front wheel.
Very clean bike with the reverse levers and internal cables
9b93d8193ae0d2f40ed52b5926a6929e.jpg

MOT day.......it passed :D

I'm chuffed to be honest, proper result. I had to quickly lash up the original number plate over the top of the b/w one or else instant fail.

PS: Carried the documents to the MOT place in the satchel ;) ....it doesn't get in the way at all, I don't know it's there when riding.

Excellent news mate didn't doubt it for a minute looks the part next to the Beetle too ,lets hope for some decent weather last few ride outs before winter

xb33bsa said:
not that i have anything against anybody but it looks that fucked up and is

xb, you're being a bit vague here, I'm not sure if you kinda like the bags or think that they suck hairy balls covered in day old sweat, would you mind clarifying this?

Back
Top Bottom