garagedoreen's Honda CB550 build

Deviant1 said:
Lookin good! I'm doing my first build too, so I totally understand your excitement! Everytime I get something else done, I go out and take pictures and post about it!
I love those dents, do you have a thread on how you did them? I'm getting ready to dent a tank and I'm looking to do something similar with the sharp angles at the front...
Thanks,
Alex

Check the 'How-To' videos in the Cafe Help forum. Should give you some good ideas.

Deviant1 said:
Lookin good! I'm doing my first build too, so I totally understand your excitement! Everytime I get something else done, I go out and take pictures and post about it!
I love those dents, do you have a thread on how you did them? I'm getting ready to dent a tank and I'm looking to do something similar with the sharp angles at the front...
Thanks,
Alex

Thanks. I dont have a tread on how I did it but I kinda drew it out after I had my friend sit on the bike in the riding position. so I ge the right shape. I didnt want it to look good parked but silly because it didnt fit my knees while riding. I used a plumbers torch to head the tank where I wanted to dent it. to soften the metal. and where I hit in too much. I used a 90 dollar stud gun to pull it back out. I bought the stud gun at harbor freight. Its cheep but it works. but yeah 10 dollar plumbers torch and a 90 dollor stud gun at harbor freight. So I spent like 100 bucks for the tools and it wasnt too hard. It took me like 2 in a half hours to get it to that shape.

okay... got a few hours free today so i decided to try to get the motor ready for paint. So I plan on splitting the engine case and see whats going on in there. I got all new output seals, so i wanted to change those and replace the timing chain while its out. incase of chain stretch or anything. I want to then button up the case and paint it but i didnt get that far today. I need one more output seal. (i forgot to order that one... damn....) But yeah the bearings look real good. so im not going to worry about them. Im not sure what type of gasket sealer to use for the case as well. Im thinking HondaBond. Thats hat I used when I rebuilt my race car transmission. but im not sure. anybody know what works best??

heres a picture.
cb550_enginesplit.jpg

First bike build? Geez man, your mock up looks great! If you got the motor torn down that far, JRK just might have the plan for a durable finish that will look great.

man... hahaha. powdercoat ... humm... man. this is turning into the cafe bike money pit!! haha its cool. i like it. but yeah you guys are right. if I want to do something with the engine case I need to do it now. how about polish?? Powdercoat will be less maintenance after riding...... man.. im torn between the two. I was feeling guilty spending so much money on this i was going to settle for paint!!! And now you guys got me thinking again!!! haha

powdercoat or polish....?????

only issue i see with polish is the heat, the metal will yellow a bit and the upkeep will be insane... trust me i made this move once... powder it... only reason i say, you figure a good can of paint is 10 bucks... for about 25 more you can get your jugs done and dont have to worry about it. it is up to you.. .hell i got no room to talk, i do powder and i painted mine, so it is up to you

JRK5892 said:
only issue i see with polish is the heat, the metal will yellow a bit and the upkeep will be insane... trust me i made this move once... powder it... only reason i say, you figure a good can of paint is 10 bucks... for about 25 more you can get your jugs done and dont have to worry about it. it is up to you.. .hell i got no room to talk, i do powder and i painted mine, so it is up to you

Will the powder coat hold up to the heat ? and what im worried about is the over spray of the powdercoat. I dont know if I get powdercoat where im not suppost to have it. it may con-flick with the fitment of the jugs and stuff like that. And how about that chrome or metallic type powdercoat? do those colors hold up good?

metalic powders are very pickey to ahve them keep they need to be cleared, once they are cleared they loose the bling and are like a shiney silver.. .hell ya the powder will be fine on your jugs... i do harley heat shields all the time.. a goo coater will be able to prep right and mask off any areas that should not be powdered, just be sure you let him know the areas that do not get it (anywhere a gasket or case seals) other than that powder away! there are alot of coooooool colors out there man! just with motors you want to stay away from any of the metalics, flake, or specialty powders.. stick to the basic colors and you will be cool... had a buddy do his jugs in white a while back on a sporty build, wish i snapped pics it looked insane wiht the polished (well on his chrome) engine cases... may be a cool idea... on my CB350 bobber build i am going to do my jugs in translucent gold... i am told it can not handle the heat but i figure i will give it a go... if it can ot i will just re do them in black later... if you have any ?s just let me know....where you located? i know coaters all over the place i may be able to hook you up wiht a good one! and a good price!

That work bench is too neat, enough of that.......Jesus Christo that is clean my tools don't want to stay in their little hooks. Nice build gona look real sharp. Like your pups got three chihuahuas myself. Did you get new chrome on ur rims. I'm undecided on new chrome or new polished xs650 rears. Told my wife the same thing this will be cheap and quick LOL

JRK5892 said:
dude!!! what hte hell happened to you!?

I know man... I got as far as puting my engine back together to stick in the frame. but I had to take a break because of other stuff. I need to get the bike rolling!

I started my own denim jean company. And this is the start of the new season so Ive been busy with that. Check it out www.dawningofourlives.com

Ill probibly get back on it in about 2 weeks. I dont want to half ass it and just put it together.

- Steven

man that chick is SMOKING hot!!! make some ridng jeans wiht flannel lining for winter riding! that is what i want... with re enforced knees, that dont ride up your junk when you are leanded over the bike rocking on it! congrads on the company !

Dude I totally understand the hiatus thing, I haven't worked on, or posted on my bike in a looong time. Just no time to do the next things on my list properly. And I agree... No halfassing! Looking forward to the next steps in your build.

alright.... I got some stuff sorted away and now its time to get back on the bike. I should start to have some progress again soon. I snap some pics as I move on.

next is to build the motor..............

Alright. Ive put this project on the back burner for a bit. I got all caught up in my side business project but now I think I need to take a day off of doing that a week and work on my toys at least one day a week. Or Ill blow my own head off by working too much. 15 hour days 7 days a week suck. I need at least one day of a little R and R in my own garage pounding on my toys. I call that relaxing. Anyways, I hope to get an update on my project up soon. Its just been sitting in the same spot since my last post.

Up next is giving the engine a nice coat of silver paint and mounting it. Then get that rear swing arm installed so I can get this guy to be a roller.

Back
Top Bottom