Honda CB750K Cafe Racer project about to start with a monoshock??

KZ1000 Police wheels arrived over the weekend. Almost smooth sailing with the fitment this evening.

Front wheel - Wheel bearings were the right size. Just need to take a few millimeters off the spacer.
Rear wheel - Wheel bearings need to be changed but all looks to align just fine. Have ordered a cush drive and rear sprocket carrier as they were not included with the wheels and the GPZ900 were different. Will report on these when they arrive.

I have to order front and rear disc brakes next. I can get the rear fine as I have found a disc that has a 130mm ID and 260mm OD with 7 bolt holes and no offset. (the GPZ900 disc was 6 bolt holes...) The front is a different story. The ID is 168mm and OD is 300mm for these particular wheels. The OD on the GPZ however was 280mm so I need to figure out how to accommodate for this extra 10mm of disc which will allow me to use the exitinging forks and callipers (they look quite chunky)
Thoughts are welcome on this predicament. (See thread for this here for some members ideas http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=75756.10)

Tried on one of the Sparks exhaust cans too which also arrived 8)

dunno how crazy you want to get but this is an idea i have played with for a while. You can buy rotor blanks and have them water jet cut into whatever design you want.

doc_rot said:
dunno how crazy you want to get but this is an idea i have played with for a while. You can buy rotor blanks and have them water jet cut into whatever design you want.

It had crossed my mind but I think I will just go with normal drilled pattern. Won't date.

Been a while since I posted but there has been lots of progress with the build.

New piston kit arrived
Barrels rebored
KZ1000P front-end fitted
KZ1000P rotors arrived
Engine casing send to be soda blasted
All new bearings, gaskets and seals ordered for the engine rebuild

Here are some photos of the KZ1000P front end fitted

Those disks are very nice, and they don't have the wonky a-symetrical drill pattern of the OEM disks

doc_rot said:
Those disks are very nice, and they don't have the wonky a-symetrical drill pattern of the OEM disks

They are from https://www.metalgear-shop.de/ Very reasonable price too.

Shims arrived on Friday for the front calliper spacing / alignment.
Engine cases ready to go to be blasted..
All new wheel bearings and seals ordered

It's been awhile since my last post but the build build is taking shape nicely. I have the engine almost rebuilt, tank ready to the paint shop, seat ordered from Tuffside and frame being prepped for the rear loop and powdercoating. Will get some photos up this week.

Engine primed and painted before I rebuilt it.

Petrol tank before it was sandblasted

Petrol tank after it was sandblasted (looks like it had some work done to it before... ) This bike has been full of surprises!! :mad: :eek: :p :-X :'(

Carbs before they are stripped and send for cleaning (One jet broke of course!! :-X :-X :mad: :mad:)

Looks like your engine was parked next to mine (I'm leaving mine with the natural patina of neglect, however).

rohalloran said:
Carbs before they are stripped and send for cleaning (One jet broke of course!! :-X :-X :mad: :mad:)

So it turns out these are actually Suzuki Bandit 600 MK1 Carbs.. I managed to pick up a very good S/H set today. Will be interesting to see how she runs with these fitted. The Manifold intakes on my head had been modified by a previous owner so there was no going back to the original carb setup. ;D ;D ;D

rohalloran said:
Engine primed and painted before I rebuilt it.

OMG did you rattlecan that engine? Im not trying to be mean but that is a TERRIBLE, bubbly unfinished looking paint job.

VintageMBike said:
OMG did you rattlecan that engine? Im not trying to be mean but that is a TERRIBLE, bubbly unfinished looking paint job.
Did you see his engine when he got the bike? It's on page one of this thread. I'm pretty sure what you're seeing is the texture of the aluminum after it sat under a lake for half it's life...

40907910060_ab990c7477_b.jpg

irk miller said:
Did you see his engine when he got the bike? It's on page one of this thread. I'm pretty sure what you're seeing is the texture of the aluminum after it sat under a lake for half it's life...

40907910060_ab990c7477_b.jpg

I understand the bike was in poor condition. Im simply observing the fact the paint job STILL looks terrible. Rattlecan-ish

doc_rot said:
I've always wondered what was up with that oem drill pattern

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

VintageMBike said:
I understand the bike was in poor condition. Im simply observing the fact the paint job STILL looks terrible. Rattlecan-ish

The aluminium was well corroded and this is the cause for the "orange peel" look. The engine will get a light sand and another 2 coats prior to putting into the frame in a month or so. Hopefully, this will smooth out the finish a bit better.

Back
Top Bottom