Yamaha L2C-A 1967 Tracker/Salt Racer - Going back together

devilishdesigner

Been Around the Block
Again, not sure quite where this one falls but is vaguely tracker:

The other new toy my mate and I have been playing with of late, a 1967 Yamaha 100cc L2C-A. We had only intended to be working on a single bike project, but at $20 this was simply far too good to pass up.

No motor, but otherwise mostly complete and in reasonable condition, the pervious owner had some experience in amateur racing, and this was the last of his bikes that he held onto. His son couldn't tell me anything about it, but upon inspection the frame ha been modified a long time ago to accept a little more power via a Honda CT110 motor.

This is the closest image I have to how the bike arrived, the handlebars have been taken off and I have begun to lower the front, but that is it.
Image0121.jpg

Suspension lowering at the front was simple and surprisingly effective, attach a ratchet strap around the triple clamps down to the front axle, loosen the clamp bolts, tighten the strap pulling the suspension into compression, tighten the triple clamps. The springs were surprisingly soft, being made for offroad use and still gives reasonable travel ;D
Image0127.jpg

Image0210.jpg

With the front end down we started to throw around some spare handlebars I had at home
Image0135.jpg

Image0136.jpg

Image0137.jpg

Image0140.jpg

Image0141.jpg

Image0142.jpg

and a $5 Wipac spotlight from a swapmeet last year
Image0144.jpg

Image0145.jpg

Image0146.jpg

Image0148.jpg

Image0149.jpg

We scored this fueltank for a $5er as well at a local swapmeet for the wonderful ATCO lettering on it, having no idea what to do with it.
Image0155.jpg

Tyres were swapped for $30 worth of swapmeet treads which fitted better with the race-track intentions of the bike. Couldn't get the originals off with any amount of leverage I could produce, so had to seek alternate methods
Image0158.jpg

Bought a couple of Honda CT motors for $20 each, unfortunately they were in absolutely appalling condition, completely unsalveagable, so were sold off (at a small profit) to people gamer than us. The CT90 fitted beautifully but the transfer case on the CT110s (postie spec with transfer/overdrive gearbox) fouled the rear swingarm and running versions with the correct gearbox are near impossible to find over here.
Image0166.jpg

I'd heard that the chinese pitbike motors fitted up to CT's so it seemed logical to look down this path. I got a well branded runner for $100. Unfortunately the fit wasn't as clean as I'd been led to believe, and a little more metal needed to be removed from the frame, but the results are worth it.
Image0199.jpg

Image0204.jpg

Image0203.jpg

The rear springs also copped a little 'adjustment' :) Basically a hard-tail in disguise
Image0206.jpg

Image0208.jpg

Image0229.jpg

Image0226.jpg

The results speak for themselves
Image0211.jpg

Image0213.jpg

Image0214.jpg

Image0217.jpg

Image0230.jpg

Image0232.jpg

Then it became time to develop a unique seat to suit the period racing theme. $4 did it
Image0281.jpg

Image0285.jpg

Image0286.jpg

The front forks needed shortening to match with the upper triple clamp height. This was done by cutting the original tubes and re-welding in the top bolt mounts.
Image0289.jpg

Image0293.jpg

The result so far is fun. The intent is to strip the frame to the original yellow and bring the whole bike to a barn find salt-lake-racer
Image0294.jpg

Image0297.jpg

Image0302.jpg

seat nearly complete thanks to a vintage leather jacket :D

Image0354.jpg

Image0347.jpg

Image0351.jpg

Decided to steel out the opening in the side of the frame for a little surprise to come later ;)
Image0372.jpg

Image0374.jpg

Image0377.jpg

And a little lid to tidy it up
Image0379.jpg

Image0381.jpg

Image0382.jpg

Also worked out what to do about the ugly Ciniworks logos on the motor:

Now you see them:
Image0383.jpg

Image0385.jpg

Now you don't :D
Image0384.jpg

Image0386.jpg

The rubbish condition yamaha motors finally offer something of value!

Thought I's start putting it back together to take stock of what needs doing:
Image0413.jpg

Image0414.jpg

Deciding on tank options (last one is a quick photoshop of a modified one) Thoughts?
Image0416.jpg

Image0417.jpg

Image0419.jpg

Image0420.jpg

Image0414a.jpg

Even more progress this weekend, I felt that the front guard needed briefening:
Image0423.jpg

Image0424.jpg

Image0425.jpg

Worked well I think :)
Image0432.jpg

Then, after much consideration of the right way to do an air filter I took to modifying the original:
Image0428.jpg

Image0429.jpg

Image0435.jpg

Image0439.jpg

Image0441.jpg

And complete for the end of the day:
Image0433.jpg

Image0437.jpg

Image0443.jpg

Image0444.jpg

Some progress this afternoon after relatively little last weekend. I was tickled by someone's suggestion of a moontank style fueltank and had a bit of a play with the idea of shortening the current tank to suit this purpose, using the headlight mount to hold it:
Image0459.jpg

What was intended to be a fueltank to go on the second side of the frame. Unfortunately the tank didn't come close to fitting with the other one, but was the perfect width to go across the front of the bike. A plan was hatched , some late night welding done and...

Image0474.jpg

Image0483.jpg

With the new tank securely welded to a bracket on the handlebars the headlight fitted nicely to the front guard with a little spacing:

Image0502.jpg

Ebay chain fitted after a change to the rear gear:

Image0500.jpg

Image0503.jpg

And my little surprise, a Dutch courage stash in the frame (trimming still to come) :D

Image0509.jpg

Image0447.jpg

Got a little more work done on the bike.

A little trimming was done to the side cover I made to allow access for wiring:
Image0527.jpg

The opening for the tank mount was about the right size for a cut-out button...
Image0528.jpg

The original chain guard is so ugly it has to be kept, but needed a trim to better suit the lines of the bike:
Image0530.jpg

Image0533.jpg

Finally I thought I'd see how a muffler we'd modified for the scooter would look. After drilling out the mounting hole a bit I was happy with the result, so began cutting up the few scraps of exhaust I had sitting around. The end result fits around the sump plug, brake and kick start, pretty happy with that!
Image0535.jpg

Image0536.jpg

Image0538.jpg

Re: Yamaha L2C-A 1967 Tracker/Salt Racer

Holy crap you can sure pack a lot into a single post!

That is an awesome little bike - keep the updates coming.

haha, yeah I was slack and thought I'd cut and paste half a dozen posts from a thread on retrorides rather then re-write it all. I'm hoping to sort out a wiring short and have it running with that exhaust for the first time tonight. :)

I dont know if you fellas are genius or crazy. Haha...

That sure is something.

Looks the buisness for certain. Hopefully it all stays together at speed!

Looking at your pictures i don't think the "barn-find" look will be much of a problem hehe.. Good job so far!

The biggest challenge is blending the old and new paints, as the new 'colour matched' yellow is a shade or so off :( Any suggestions? Currentl plan is to give it all a very light (semi-transparent) spray over to blend then clean the new stuff off around any scratches and bare spots. Will take a while!

Looks great!! Can't wait to see it unfold!!

Woon je toevallig in Nederland? (Dutch courage..)

Thanks for all the positive feedback! Not from the Netherlands, Australia's my home infact. 'Dutch Courage' refers to courage gained through alcohol ;D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_courage

IT RUNS! Finally had a chance to fire it up and go for a ride up the drive today, the 125's got plenty of go, idles nicely without choke,cut-out switch now works after a loose wire was found. I've got about 2 bolts and 1 bracket to fit tomorrow then it's complete and ready for a strip down and final paint and prep, very excited!

Haha fo real? Cool. Nice to hear it runs too!

Re: Yamaha L2C-A 1967 Tracker/Salt Racer - proof that it rides!

Some shots of it all together (minus taillight)

Image0552.jpg

Image0554.jpg

Image0564.jpg

Image0555.jpg

Cleaned up the wheels

Image0565.jpg

and aged the front guard:

Image0566.jpg

Image0568.jpg

Lol that's awesome. Love the ski seat.

Definitely use the ski seat idea on my next build.
Rad project.

I'm not entirely happy with the taillight but fitted up:
Image0573.jpg

Image0572.jpg

stripped for final prepping (2 hours from rideable to this - bikes are SO much easier than cars!):
Image0578.jpg

Image0579.jpg

my rump is way too big for that seat. not my flavor of bike, but i love the creativity.

Finished 'touching up' the frame paint and started re-assembly
Image0662.jpg

Image0666.jpg

Gave the rear 'springs' a clean up (before and after)
Image0667.jpg

And started 'ageing' the motor
Image0669.jpg

Well in the last few days I've 'aged' the motor a bit and fitted it back up:
Image0676.jpg

I also rewelded the tank brace (the previous welding was horrible as I was using cheap wire that was completely hopeless), sprayed the freshly welded parts then used steel wool to blend the fresh paint into the original black of the tank.

Also decided to start adding some racing numbers. Cut out a stencil for our new business name, SUUS, and for a racing number (chose the bike's build year, 1967) from paper, held them up to the tank as well as possible:
Image0678.jpg

Image0680.jpg

I wasn't too bothered by the overspray as I was planning to age the new decoration to fit with the rest of the bike. Amazingly the $3 automotive cream spray paint dried super quick, and after an hour or so I was able to get at it with some steel wool:
Image0681.jpg

Image0682.jpg

I'm very pleased with the result once fitted to the bike:
Image0686.jpg

Back
Top Bottom