Salzburg '73 CB350 - Summer Riding Update

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Primer on Tank & Tail

Great thread! Keep those pics coming. When you get to the point of striping your tank and seat, I would be interested to see some pics on how you do it (e.g. type of tape, how you taped it, etc.). Are you using a spray gun or rattle can? If can, what brand?

Tim

timdaugherty said:
Great thread! Keep those pics coming. When you get to the point of striping your tank and seat, I would be interested to see some pics on how you do it (e.g. type of tape, how you taped it, etc.). Are you using a spray gun or rattle can? If can, what brand?

Tim

I'll probably use my HVLP. I've used it to paint my cars and airplane with single stage paint, but never done detailed striping work before. I think I'll do 2 stage paint this time so I can lay down a think layer of clear to wet sand and buff.

Nice thread and great work on the seat/tank. Good luck with the rest of the build.

I think I'll either buy some Ninja front rotor bolts or make some sleeves out of tubing to space the rotor to some 6mm bolts.

a20792b12eb4c53efb5814_m.JPG

Stock EX500 rotor bolts are shouldered. 10mm shoulder with 8mm threads.

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Frame work

MatthiasSalzburg said:
Only a slight amount. I mainly modified the frame. I ground down the top seam and welded it shut. I also ground down the two tank mount studs about 1/4" and narrowed the stock rubber mounts.

Do you think I could get away with just beating the seam down? grinding and welding back together are a bit farther than my skill set allows me to go

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Frame work

LtGeorge said:
Do you think I could get away with just beating the seam down? grinding and welding back together are a bit farther than my skill set allows me to go

I really don't see how you could beat down that seam. It's very thick metal. You could probably grind it down to the top of the pinch welds and then beat in the bottom of the tank.

would that weaken the frame any?

Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Primer on Tank & Tail

Yes. Do it the right way and be done with it.

Nice build so far. Will def keep watching the progress.

I'm testing some paint that I will be using for my engine & wheel hubs. Since I come from an aviation background I'm testing to see if the adhesion of paint is aided by the commonly used Alodine 1201 chromic acid-based chemical coating.

I have two kinds of 6061 aluminum test strips, shiny and bead blasted.

Test strips 6061 aluminum by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

First I used Metal Prep 79. It's a non-flammable multi-purpose phosphoric acid-based cleaner and pre-paint conditioner for most metals. Application leaves the surface chemically clean and corrosion free.

Metal prep 79 and Alodine 1201 by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

After a good water rinse I let them dry and then applied the Alodine solution.

Alodine 1201 conversion coating by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

I also tested two strips with only the Metal Prep and no Alodine solution. If the paint holds up well with just the acid cleaner than maybe the Alodine can be omitted as a cost savings step.

The paint I'm testing is VHT High Temp engine enamel and VHT Wheel paint. Both are cast aluminum color. I'll let them dry and then bake the engine paint at 200F for 1 hour. The wheel paint needs no baking. I'll test them by scratches, hammer blows, and chemicals (brake cleaner & gas).

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Paint test

great info!

Looking forward to the results.
Thanks for the methodical approach. I hope your results are as high quality as your method...

AW: Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Paint test

8ehuvy6y.jpg

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

Well the engine paint is dry (waited 7 days like label says) and will bake 200F for 1 hour.

I tested a couple of pieces with the wheel paint (doesn't require baking) and the non pre-treated pieces didn't fare to well. The paint flaked off very easily. However, even on very shiny & smooth pieces that were treated the paint didn't flake.

Will do final testing in the next few days.

I'm also mounting my EX500 Ninja twin piston caliper. I had to make a new mounting plate out of some thick steel plate and weld it to the Ninja plate.

Caliper mount plate by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

Modifying caliper mount by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

Big thanks to djelliott for the tip! The EX500 rotor mounts to the CB350 rotor hub just fine. I used stock ninja mounting bolts (but will need to shorten). They are special shouldered bolts, but plentiful on ebay.

Untitled by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Paint tank / front caliper mount

Great thread, explanations, and pics. I'll definitely be following along. Will you please explain a bit what "seam welds" are and why you did them?

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Paint tank / front caliper mount

johnd900 said:
Great thread, explanations, and pics. I'll definitely be following along. Will you please explain a bit what "seam welds" are and why you did them?

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/seam+weld

The bike has spot welds on the top tube (under the gas tank). I had to grind down the seam to fit my gsx250 tank and weld the seam back together.

Back
Top Bottom