Softail bobber

ctluba

Been Around the Block
Well, since this is a bobber I thought I would post it here. Caught a little flack in the street fighter section. Since it aint a fighter, I understand. So here she is. :eek:

Yuck
054-1.jpg

Lookin better already
001-80.jpg

Temp set up so I could take a spin. GSXR 1000 front end with stock rear end
004-66.jpg

With CBR600RR rear end
002-84.jpg

Blacked out rear end
004-67.jpg

May be on the road this weekend. Have to: bolt up offset primary, install brake / tailight, buy and install drive chain, extended rear brake line, power to headlamp, weld up shock linkage shackle, install oil tank, re-bolt up pipes and bolt on the rear fender. ;D

I guess I cant expect mere mortals to understand my powers!!! ;)

Without the CBR rearend, it is just another blacked out bobber. With the CBR rearend, it is a total HOT ROD.......Yeeeeeee Haaaaaaaa!!!! ;D

Cafe Redneck said:
You had me, up untill the CBR rearend

+1...I don't understand....why did you use a Softail for this idea? Not trying to bust your balls, but every single thing about the chassis says cruiser--just forks and a swinger won't change that. The performance just isn't there.

Impressive that you got the swinger on, though.

Pic #3 = B.A. awesomeness

Pic #4 = ........wait.....something looks different.... :eek:

Props for the unique build though, i'm following along

t71ford said:
+1...I don't understand....why did you use a Softail for this idea? Not trying to bust your balls, but every single thing about the chassis says cruiser--just forks and a swinger won't change that. The performance just isn't there.

This bike is just build to be a bobber, hot rod, cruiser, custom etc etc. I am not going to try and carve a corner on it for sure. not lookin for performance at all. The parts did make the bike a metric ton less heavy and the brakes are 1000% better than the stockers. So she will get up and go and stop quick, who wouldnt want that?? Anyway, just a hot rod bro.

Almost done, maybe a rip tomorrow if I can iron out some odds and ends.

005-66.jpg

Just fininshed the Crazy Monster last night. Took the first "shake out" ride today. No issues, drove straight, drove GREAT!!!

1990 Softail Custom, 1340 EVO big twin, high compression pistons, cam upgrade, screamin eagle ignition, vance and hines short shot pipes w/heat wrap, 05 GSXR 1000 front end, 05 CBR600RR rear end, Biltwell tracker bars, CB750 headlamp, GSXR 1000 steering damper, forward controls, bobber seat, 1" offset primary, frame bobbed, braided brake, clutch and throttle cables, homemade shock linkage shackle, custom swingarm pivot bolt, custom swingarm bushings, machine work on top triple, estimated weight loss of 200lbs!!!!!! nicely MURDERED OUT!!!!!:rock:

All work, except for machining custom parts and motor work, done by me.:thumbsup:

In the begining

054-1.jpg

Let the fun begin

001-79.jpg

002-75.jpg

001-80.jpg

Murder Out!!!

001-95.jpg

005-66.jpg

005-67.jpg

003-90.jpg

006-47.jpg

007-40.jpg

008-33.jpg

Hey, I just wanted to make it clear my previous "straight line hotrod" questions was not meant to be derogatory. Just trying to understand to motivation behind the build.

You certainly took a different approach. Though I personally am not a fan of the aesthetics of the bike, I do appreciate the work you've done to make it your own, the unique mechanical aspects of the build and your willingness to listen to yourself.

I'm glad you are happy with the results because, in the end, that is what really matters. Nice work. Keep it up.

Flugtechnik said:
Hey, I just wanted to make it clear my previous "straight line hotrod" questions was not meant to be derogatory.

No worries dude!! Bike is pretty much a straight liner, but I will tell ya, it handles WAY better than I first thought. It has to be 250lbs less than stock, flicks pretty good, the torque is crazy with all the weight loss and she stops on dime. I am super stoked that I pulled this build off, it looks sick and best of all, it actually WORKS!!!!!

I have to say, it growin on me, and its different. Did you have to do a lot of mods to connect the softail shocks to that swingarm?

Y'know, that thing's actually pretty cool. If it handles/stops good, who cares? At least you didn't throw apehangars on it, and then try to call it different.

Not going to lie I thought it was butt ugly when you started. Now that its finished I like it! Makes me want to wear a batman costume and ride it

Cafe Redneck said:
Did you have to do a lot of mods to connect the softail shocks to that swingarm?

The softail shocks are long gone bro. The CBR swinger has the shock mounted in the center of it. Just had to build a shackel to connect the lower linkage to the frame.

The gold tube you can see protruding from the top of the swinger is shock resevior.

006-47.jpg

This is the very simple shackle my buddy and I fabbed up to connect the linake to the frame. That is why I used this swinger, didnt have to build a top shock tower.

009-25.jpg

Better view of top of shock and how it is incorporated into the arm.

003-80.jpg

Back
Top Bottom